Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   All Other Vehicles (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/all-other-vehicles-1643/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a sport bike ! have few questions... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/all-other-vehicles-1643/thinking-about-getting-sport-bike-have-few-questions-188564/)

RusWolf 06-15-2010 05:33 AM

Thinking about getting a sport bike ! have few questions...

Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about purchasing a bike in few month once i'm back from Iraq and i'd like to ask few questions..

First i will answer questions that may arrise from you guys.

1) Last time i drive a bik was over 10 years ago, so it is safe to say i have 0 experience.
2) I'm planning on attending motorcycle driving school as well as Army bike class as well.
3) I'm 6'3'', 230lbs

I am looking at sport bikes around 600cc , the reason why i'm looking at 600cc range is because i do not want to get bored with it after few month in case of 250cc engines..

I'm currently researching Ninja ZX6R, Ninja 650R, R6, GSX 600, and the honda's 600cc bike as well...

From first look honda looks to be the most expensive out of them all in the range (not counting Ducati), but also noticed that honda offers ABS brakes. How valuable those ABS brakes are ?

Mainly i'm looking to just ride on sundays and saturdays in the early hours when less people are around, but i do like to have good brakes.
Anyway let's start desicioning and help me pick my first bike.
Also i'm going to be in WA for few more years and most likely will sell the bike by the end of 2012 before returning to NYC simply because NYC is loco as far as traffic and the way people drive. (small chance i will keep it thought because i have a feeling that even i do bring it to NYC after the Army contract expires my dad will probably sell it if i store it in the garage at the house since he is against bikes alot and one thing he told is that no matter my age he will not approve motorcycle's).

Thanks everyone who will help.

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-15-2010 02:28 PM

at 6' 3" and 230lbs, you might even look into the 1lt bikes

my first bike was a TL1000, now i have a ZX-10R and i'm 5' 6" and 145lbs

if your looking for exotic, try the Triumph Daytona 675 (MSRP: $10,499) or if your into the streetfighter style, try the new Triple R (MSRP: $9,599)

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/

in a few months, I will sell my zx-10r and get a Daytona Triple R

game-over 06-15-2010 02:51 PM

my boy boy has a mint RC51 up for sale

RS_5.0_wifey 06-15-2010 03:49 PM

I'd start with a CBR 600. They're a little more forgiving if it's been a while since you've been on a bike. For whatever reason, they seem to have a more even weight distribution, as well. My personal preference is the R6, though. Kawasaki has gone downhill in the last few years IMHO. . After you get used to riding again, then you can move up the totem pole (Love the look of the GSXR 1000). I see way too many idiots that try to ride a 1000 cc bike when they have no experience. And they toast it. Do not waste your money. Here's an idea for later on, too: My husband has a CBR 929RR Erion and nothing can touch it (he only weighs about 160 lbs). It was quite a change from his 600 Katana (lighter and A LOT more HP/torque). All of the fireblades are pretty nice.

Side note, I have a Ninja 250 up for sale if anybody's interested.

Prototype_xB 06-17-2010 02:35 AM

The ninja's are solid bikes but very uncomfortable to ride for an extended period of time. I had an 07 ninja 600. The ninja is the girlfriend, but the CBR is the wife. If i was to buy another bike i'd get a GSX-R 750 because i did quickly grow tired of the 600.

RusWolf 06-17-2010 06:32 AM

Well it's my first bike and to be honest i'm not looking or at least i'm not planning on racing it or doing wheelies etc, etc..
I'm planning to just ride it on weekends for fun...therefore i would like the bike to be comfortable and sporty and have EXCELLENT brakes...

I have narrowed down to several bikes and judging by the review i will definately take a look at Honda VRF800 interceptor.. it comes with 3 piston calipers in the back and ABS. In addition to that it seems to be very comfy and sporty.. I'm sure its going to be quick enough for me....

what do you guys think of that ?

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-17-2010 06:46 AM

i like the look of them, especially the single sided swing arm, but theres a reason why they're not on a typical list of sportbikes like CBR, Ninja or R1.

interceptor VFR engine is a VTEC-equipped V-4 which for your use is actually a good comfortable riding bike, and it has optional ABS (strange concept, still fairly new)

i think they just made a 1200cc VTEC Interceptor for 2010

RusWolf 06-17-2010 08:26 AM

Yup for 800 is 2009 model year so i'm pretty when i'm back around september i can get a great deal on it if i decide to go with that one and 1200 is 2010 model...

I guess the reason why they are no supersport bikes is because they are not designed to be all out race bike like ninja, gixxer, R1 etc... they are made to be sporty comfortable cruisers which i think is what i need :)

And VTEC ( lol ) will be good as well, i read up on it and it uses 2 valves per cylinder up to 7K rpm and after 7K rpm guns out ! And it's got under the seat exhaust which i actually like and reading reviews and watching video's of the VRF800 model experts say it's just a good all around bike.

I also looked at some BMW sport cruisers and they have ABS as well, actually BMW have where you can completely turn ABS off and adjust the suspension stiffness if you want to go mor race-like around turns so i'm going to check it out as well and whatever is the best price i will get. I'm not trying to spend too much since i'm only planning on keeping it for 2 years and for recreational activities instead of making it my life. I just want to get seat time and get comfortable with the bike, i'm sure if ever decide to get a tru super-sport bike i will have no problems riding it.

What helmets do you guys have ?

I was looking at Icon domain 2 they got some crazy paintjobs and seems to be pretty good as far as features, but the cost is $410.

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-17-2010 02:22 PM

i work for Icon as a design manager so all my gear is Icon

the domain 2 is the most expensive helmet we got, check out the Alliance SSR, they start at $190

the Zipperface is one of my own twisted creations:
http://indysuperbike.com/img/Icon/ssr-zf.jpg

RusWolf 06-17-2010 06:38 PM

red, i don't like red...

i believe the most expensive is the carbon fiber air something...

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-17-2010 06:53 PM

the carbon fiber Airframe is $515 and is new for Spring 2010

heres a secret, its not real carbon fiber. its a regular Airframe ($360) with a carbon fiber look. We are discussing lowering the price to $410, but it wouldnt take effect til Fall 2010

RusWolf 06-17-2010 07:08 PM

lol, got ya...
I like the jacket Hooligan represent ( New York) but the lettering is red, is it possible to place an order for a different color lettering ? ( silver or yellow )

Olesen_Custom_Automotive 06-17-2010 07:30 PM

I dont think they can be changed by Icon. The textile department and my department aren't in the same building. But i have seen a few members of a local bike club actually go to a seamstress and she sewed on new letters over the existing red ones in different colors.

I know in my local area, we have one company that will actually dye parts of your jacket.

have you decided on a helmet? maybe the Alliance SSR Represent (New York)?

vettereddie 06-17-2010 09:14 PM

What kind of bike did you used to ride? Taking the retraining is a good idea (and probably manditory, for Navy, we need either Motorcycle Safety Foundation certification within 3 years or the base course).

Might I suggest the Kawasaki ER-6n or Versys? Both utilize the now-default standard Ninja 650 engine (500 went bye-bye in 2008 or 09). The difference is that the ER-6n ditches the full-fairing for a lighter bike and, in my opinion, a better look by exposing more of the frame and engine as a streetfighter. It's also cheaper than the full-fairing.

The versys is similar, ditching the full sportbike fairing and using the 650 motor, but gives a more upright seating position so you're not humping the gas tank. it also has a longer travel suspension for dual-sport utility, taking some of the fear out of pothole-covered roads for commutes.

Of course, I have a thing for the old school, currently riding a 1981 Honda CM400 Automatic (awesome commuter bike under 65 MPH, no shifting at red lights), restoring a 1980 CM400 manual, and have a 78 GS 750 for the track. The GS is older than me. Check out newenough.com for gear, it's all new gear but sold at wholesale.

RusWolf 06-18-2010 05:33 AM

I used to ride my grandfathers bike it was WW2 retro Ural ( yes with a side cart!) and another bike he had was some kind of a cruiser...yeah never actually ridden a true sport bike.

As far as helmets i like Icon Domain 2 mechanica...

SSR alliance represent is nice as well , but the lettering is red... unless i can find a shop that will repaint the letter and it won't cost too much..

btw how come alliance line of helmets are not SNELL certified ?

I know my other friend back in NY has 2 helemets, one is good primary and a secondary helmet that he wears sometimes or for a passanger so i'm thinking of doing the same.
Domain mechanica as primary and another helmet of different design and cheaper for occasional use.

Iceman04503 06-18-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Olesen_Custom_Automotive (Post 3601055)
i work for Icon as a design manager so all my gear is Icon

the domain 2 is the most expensive helmet we got, check out the Alliance SSR, they start at $190

the Zipperface is one of my own twisted creations:
http://indysuperbike.com/img/Icon/ssr-zf.jpg

Dude, you designed the zipperface? That is an awesome helmet. I just bought the alliance ssr speedfreak. I want the FSB fin kit in gloss black. Can you hook me up with the kit? LOL

As for bikes I started off on a 04 CBR600 canary yellow. Love that bike. But right now I have my eyes on the 08 R6 S.E. You can never go wrong with a CBR 600 or 1000.

RusWolf 06-18-2010 06:52 AM

^^ yeah for starters i'm CBR600RR is a great bike.. I'm talking to a sales mangaer by emails from a local dealership in WA. They sell several brands Yamaha, Honda, Triumph and the guy i'm talking to is actually helping me out. I told him what i'm looking for and i told him what i need the bike for. First i asked about Triumph 675 and he said that the ride position on that bike is a little awkward and he would not suggest it to me for my first bike. he pointed out CBR600 if i want to stay with 600's to be the best all arounder and VFR800 to be the best sport cruiser bike and to be the most comfortable of sport bikes.

I also asked him if they deliver bikes because i would not feel comfortable driving it home on the highway and he said sometimes they do deliver and he would have no problems getting the bike delivered.

So i can't wait now, lol to go and actually sit on these bikes and decide which one to go with...
Only downfall is that it's going to be Fall and in WA the weather get's crappy towards that time and it rains alot so i don't know how much driving i will be able to do :( But i guess i will have to take it out any chance i get even just to practice around parking lot's and stuff like that...

Hix 06-18-2010 12:23 PM

Being a large framed guy myself, 6'1 220, I couldn't ride the crotch rockets... Maybe it's because I have big balls, but either way they were extremely uncomfortable. Make sure you ride it before you buy it and remember that if you buy one you basically buy it for life. Bikes do not retain value well.

vettereddie 06-18-2010 12:47 PM

yeah, definately also check used, either at the dealer or even Craigslist. When I was looking, I first wanted the new Ninja 250, had a base of $3,900 but with all the BS dealer fees it would have been close to $6k, and I refuse to pay a delivery, assembly, handling, etc. fee in excess of 50% MSRP. Used gets around most of that.

Check with your base safety office too, here for any sportbike there's an additional course that needs to be completed. As for helmets, I love the flip-up face ones. They're a lot easier to put on and make sitting at a light in the sun a lot more bearable.

Beantowntc 06-18-2010 01:12 PM

Definitely take a course and riding a 600 is perfectly fine. My first bike was a 98 Honda CBR F3 and my current bike is a 06 Honda CBR 1000RR and i love it. You cant go wrong with a HONDA IMO as they are really reliable and if you get a new one, the ABS breaks are awesome even under normal driving conditions. At the end of the day these bikes are so close in performance and other features, just ride what feels comfortable to you and always respect it....