Notices
Autosports & Technique
General driving and racing...

Who you are? where you run? And whats your set up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Who you are? where you run? And whats your set up?

Well i am starting this thread to see everybody who participates in auto cross, track racing, drag racing on a regular basis with their scions. So fill it out and ask questions so we can get this section of scion like alive.

Questions.
Who are you?
What type of Racing and organization do you compete in.(scca..etc..)?
Whats your current setup?
What are your plans for it?
a pic if you have one.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i am atomsk. we will stick to that right now. I am currently a college student at OU studying engineering. I have participated in legend car racing before and have finally moved up to auto cross and track racing at the sheriffs training track in okc.

So like i said i participate in the track days with the BMW and Porsche clubs at the sheriffs test track. I got keep those guys that spent 50k on there cars inline.

current setup.
08 tc.
cross drilled and slotted rotors.
full exhaust
headers
sw short ram air intake.
dg 25mm rear sway.

future plans.(next year)
removal of back seat.
new tires and rims.
ss brake lines
new temp gauge ( lower to help out that cooling)
front and rear struts.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oueng
Well i am atomsk. we will stick to that right now. I am currently a college student at OU studying engineering. I have participated in legend car racing before and have finally moved up to auto cross and track racing at the sheriffs training track in okc.

So like i said i participate in the track days with the BMW and Porsche clubs at the sheriffs test track. I got keep those guys that spent 50k on there cars inline.

current setup.
08 tc.
cross drilled and slotted rotors.
full exhaust
headers
sw short ram air intake.
dg 25mm rear sway.

future plans.(next year)
removal of back seat.
new tires and rims.
ss brake lines
new temp gauge ( lower to help out that cooling)
front and rear struts.
not much of suspension setup for now
Old 07-13-2010, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Hence why he is in stock class.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i cant afford much. i am in college and a majority of my money goes to rent and food.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

I have skipped meals to afford racing. Doing that this week to afford racing this weekend. Lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i do the same with food. but i still have to pay for a place to live.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm Tony Cambio, Scion Champion at Oakbrook Toyota-Scion in Westmont, IL

The car is a 2006 xA prepared for SCCA Street Touring autocross. Currently #2 in Chicago SCCA, which is my goal for 2010

Power Mods:
Injen RD CAI (not a big fan - would rather have a normal CAI like K&N, etc.)
Spectre open-ended filter with a stainless shield (I'm missing half my inner fenderwell...)
Strup Stainless & Ceramic header. A SHOWpiece. I feel bad that it's on the back of the motor...
Supertrapp tuneable muffler. I LOVE these. I can tune the muffler so I don't lose the lower end, or I can open it up without crawling under the car. It also gives an incredible sound for 1.5 liters.

Handling Mods:
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires - 205-50-15 (actually an inch undersized, but that's what they offer & they WORK)
Enkei RPF-1 - 15x7 40 offset (I ordered 35 from Edge Racing & they sent 40. No wonder I needed rear spacers with 225 tires...)
Progress rear anti-sway bar (eventually to be replaced by a NASCAR-style bar for batter rotation)
Koni Sport Dampers(One of the best things I did for handling)
H&R Race coils (A hair stiffer than Eibach Sportlines)

Other Mods:
Schroth Rallye 4pt harness
Generic POS short-shifter
Old 07-17-2010, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
Hence why he is in stock class.
Not with a DG sway (by SCCA rules anyways). The only sway you can run and stay in stock is the TRD, and that is only on the 07+ I think, when they started offering it as a factor option rather than a dealer option.

I autocross mine here locally.
ST Prepped

Tein SS-Ps set on approx 1.4 inches of drop

Corner balanced

Camber: -1.5F/-1.25R on the street and -2.75F/-1.25R at events

DG Rear sway (full stiff for events)

Hotchkis strut tie (does practically nothing on this car .. )

Potenza RE-01Rs 225/45/17 for autox and boring so-so Falken 912's on the street. Will be getting Star Specs when the 01R's are done this season.

Doc I Short shift

A few non performance mods too.

My next goal is to get the time to tear it apart and finish the calcs to complete design of another set of coilovers. Looking to probably go with koni's customized for coilover sleeves, hypercoil springs and either modify my current camber plates to work with them or have some new ones built.

Grew up in OK myself, but moved to MN after grad school for work. Not a huge fan of the winters, but I think we are spoiled as far as autox events. I haven't talked to many people who's region managed to run events with 160 cars getting 6 or so runs through 70 sec + courses They have been doing it since before the SCCA existed and have a good number of nationals contenders each year, so they have gotten pretty good at putting on good events.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

engifineer is right i do not run in the stock class. i run in the st. Most of the time i run at a different track that is non scca. So we don't even have classes, this is just my addiction. If i want to race too much i will go back to legend cars.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You could go with TRD springs too. They dont over drop like most crappy (for handling) aftermarket springs do these days and did really well for me in autox when I ran them. Still a good ride on the street too if that is an issue.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am trying to save up and get a pair of progress. I am doing my math on what rates i should run or i could buy the dg spec ones if there are any left by the time i get them money. But i am afraid of the spring rates might be to high to have the car on the streets in Oklahoma.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'll play...

name: Brett Runion

type of racing: drag racing. so far i have only raced in the import face-off forced induction pro class.

my current set-up: 2006 scion tc, built short block, stock head, dezod aem ems, dezod return fuel system, rc 650cc injectors, aem meth injection, turbo toyotas equal-length manifold (original version), 3" downpipe and full exhaust, garrett t3 60-1 .82 a/r turbo, hks ssq bov, tial 44mm wg, pwr intercooler, competition clutch stage 5 clutch, m&h 25.5x8.5x15 slicks, 19 psi, 7200 rpm redline, 417whp/366ftlbs, best pass of 11.70 @ 124 mph. (on 17 psi)

plans: i plan to get a 10.xx pass next time out to the track. after that, a fully built top to bottom motor and gt42 turbo go in and 9 second passes.

pics:

Name:  DSC_0569.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  129.1 KB
Name:  DSC_0452.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  91.0 KB
Name:  DSC_0430.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  214.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0429.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  233.5 KB
Name:  SAVE1404.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  DSC_0579.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  86.4 KB

Last edited by brett561tc; 07-19-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys all have really awesome setups... I dig it

I'm Tyrone.

I run my 2006 xA locally here in Omaha at SCCA autocross, TSD Road Rally, and Fast Friday/Lapping at Mid America Motorplex.

Current Setup:

EBC Slotted Rotors
Hawk HPS Pads
TRD Rear Sway, Springs, Struts
Falken Azenis RT-615K
Enkei RPF1
Miscellaneous Engine Stuff...

Tony, what is the difference between the Koni Sport Dampers and H&R Race coils? I may be getting my terminology mixed up, is one of them springs and the other shocks or is the H&R coils your coilovers? I'm currently not happy with my TRD setup and would like to look into better suspension setups.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by usc_ty
You guys all have really awesome setups... I dig it

I'm Tyrone.

I run my 2006 xA locally here in Omaha at SCCA autocross, TSD Road Rally, and Fast Friday/Lapping at Mid America Motorplex.

Current Setup:

EBC Slotted Rotors
Hawk HPS Pads
TRD Rear Sway, Springs, Struts
Falken Azenis RT-615K
Enkei RPF1
Miscellaneous Engine Stuff...

Tony, what is the difference between the Koni Sport Dampers and H&R Race coils? I may be getting my terminology mixed up, is one of them springs and the other shocks or is the H&R coils your coilovers? I'm currently not happy with my TRD setup and would like to look into better suspension setups.
Ty,
The Konis are the dampers (struts/shocks) and the H&R's are the coil springs

engifineer,
How's the fit of the slightly oversized 225's?
Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The 225's are a perfect fit on a 7 inch rim and are the max allowed for ST. I would definitely recommend running them.

usc:
How do you like the 615k? Have you run the RE-01R's, RE-11's, old RT615's or Star Specs for comparison? I was very curious to see what the new generation of the 615 would be like, but I think they priced themselves out of the game. The original in its day was one of the street tires to have in autox and stayed for a long time due to its price. To get better performance you had to spend significantly more. Now, they are priced near the RE-11, which I have a very hard time believing the can compete with. And for much less you can get Star Specs, which are an amazing tire for autox. I just cant see how they are going to stay in there with their current pricing unless they compete worlds above the previous version.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
The 225's are a perfect fit on a 7 inch rim and are the max allowed for ST. I would definitely recommend running them.

usc:
How do you like the 615k? Have you run the RE-01R's, RE-11's, old RT615's or Star Specs for comparison? I was very curious to see what the new generation of the 615 would be like, but I think they priced themselves out of the game. The original in its day was one of the street tires to have in autox and stayed for a long time due to its price. To get better performance you had to spend significantly more. Now, they are priced near the RE-11, which I have a very hard time believing the can compete with. And for much less you can get Star Specs, which are an amazing tire for autox. I just cant see how they are going to stay in there with their current pricing unless they compete worlds above the previous version.
I agree...the 615K's are more sticky but I liked the old 615's for autocross. I like the 615K's for track since I can get them sticky and be at higher speeds. I have not used the RE-11's but all my friends like them, but after an autocross run, when I touch them, they don't feel as warm or sticky as the old 615's. The RE-11's are good for track because I think they take longer to warm up. I'd stick with the Star Specs or the old 615's if you can find them again. I never tried any other tire because I always loved and used the old 615's...( I was shocked that the old 615's prices were similar to my crappy OEM tires...)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I used to run the old 615's and they were great tires, but others have surpassed them by a good amount and they just arent that competitive like they used to be.

Taking longer to get warm is a good thing though for the 615. The older ones had a tendency to heat up quickly and then get greasy if they got much warmer. So when they really got hot they would start to loose traction.

But I went from the 615 to the RE-01R's and it was a big improvement. The RE-11 is a big improvement even over the 01R. So the old 615 just wouldnt do it any more. They would be perfectly fun for aggressive street driving, but tire life is low on them.

I will be running the Star Specs next. The 11's would be a tad better, but for the price the Star Specs are the way to go I think. If I were running Nats then I would be willing to spend top dollar for a couple of tenths on course.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good engifineer...looks like I'll have to give the RE-11's a shot. The 615's will be done by the end of the season. I'll just have to keep an eye out to see if I can catch some specials on the RE-11's somewhere.

By the way, your autocross events sound awesome by the way you described them. Can you give me a link to the schedule? I may be tempted to drive all the way up there to try one out. Google maps says its 6 hours away from here. I may just spend a weekend there sightseeing and autocrossing. Is there anything worth sightseeing?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sculpture garden, museums, mall of america (basically just a tourist attraction, I never go there except to show newcomers how large it is...), then all the outdoors stuff. If you did it we could maybe do a drive around the area on saturday then hit the event on sunday.

If you go to myautoevents.com and search for autocross in MN you can register there. They open registration 30 days prior to the events. COM also puts on some more laid back, fast course events as well. If you like the longer courses, look for our events at DCTC (Dakota County Technical College) and our last couple in Oct at Canterbury park.

Quick Reply: Who you are? where you run? And whats your set up?