Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Buyer / Seller Experiences (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/buyer-seller-experiences-1610/)
-   -   Another Person Scammed by TurboToyotas (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/buyer-seller-experiences-1610/another-person-scammed-turbotoyotas-142888/)

THansenite 07-29-2008 02:36 PM

Another Person Scammed by TurboToyotas

I have posted this on another website, but figured I would post it here as well to make people aware of Todd from TurboToyotas' shady business practices.

June 16th, 2008 (morning)

In May, I spent the first half of the month trying to get ahold of Todd from TurboToyotas to get a ZPI intercooler upgrade kit ordered for my tC. He had been talking about this kit and I heard good reviews on it. He wasn't very good at reading the e-mails I sent and it took about 4 PM's on ScionLife and 6 e-mails to finally get a price for what I wanted (black powdercoated pipes, black anodized intercooler, and shipping). I called Todd on May 20th and ordered the intercooler and piping kit. When I ordered the kit, I told Todd that I needed it by the end of May or the first of June since Asylum was the first weekend in June. I made it very clear to him that I wanted the intercooler on for Asylum. He said it would be no problem and I should have it Monday, June 2nd.

I sent a couple of e-mails and texts asking for the status on my order but he would never send replies that answered my question. On May 30th, I texted him asking for the status and he replied saying that one of the boxes had been shipped out and the other would ship out shortly. He said they would be to my place by Wednesday (June 4th) or Thursday (June 5th). Since I play hockey both of those nights, I asked for tracking numbers so I could make sure someone was around the apartment when they were supposed to be delivered. I never got a reply. I kept texting and not getting any replies.

On Wednesday, I talked to him and he told me that neither package had been shipped out because he had just gotten a piece of pipe. He said he would ship it out Thursday and overnight it to me so I could have it Friday, June 6th. That would have been great, except I was leaving for Asylum early that morning and wouldn't be around to get the package. I told him that and to just ship it ground so I would have it when I got back.

So, I get back from Asylum thinking that I should finally have my intercooler sometime that week and be able to install it. I text Todd Monday or Tuesday asking for a tracking number again so I can be sure to be home when it arrives. I got a reply back saying he still hadn't shipped anything out. I was livid. I told him that if I did not have a tracking number by the end of the day, I was going to dispute the charges. I also told him that since I have waited this long, he should overnight it to me so I can have it. Eventually, I did get a tracking number.

I was excited that my intercooler was on its way. Though he still shipped it ground and I had to wait a week for it, at least I knew he had sent it out. I have been watching its progress from Arizona to Iowa and everything is supposed to be delivered this evening (the UPS guy usually comes around 7PM). I was excited and got some of my tools ready so I could put it on tonight.

But of course, it couldn't be that easy. A little bit ago, I get an e-mail from Todd saying that the piping would arrive today, but that his shipper accidentally shipped my black anodized intercooler to someone else. He said he will be anodizing some more intercoolers later this week and will get it shipped out as soon as he gets one done. So I'll have my piping today, but no intercooler. Needless to say, I sent him an e-mail voicing my frustrations.

I wanted to post this to let everyone know about the atrocious business and shipping practices of this company. Yes, I have heard nothing but good about their products. They are of high quality and that is why I spent the extra money to go through him instead of getting it done custom by a local company. However, if I would have known it would have been like this, I would have never ordered through TurboToyotas. Lies, delays, missed deadlines, no tracking numbers, etc. is not how a business should operate. I was going to post up a full review once I got all of the parts and weigh the terrible shipping against the quality of the product, but it might be a while before I actually get everything I ordered.

People considering going through Todd for anything, I hope you aren't in a hurry.
June 16th, 2008 (evening)

I got the piping kit this afternoon and it looked incomplete. It looks like it is missing a few pieces and there were only 2 couplers (3 if you count the really big 90 degree piece) and only 5 clamps in the box.

I called up Todd and told him to just forget sending me the intercooler and I will send the piping back for a full refund. I am sick of dealing with him and having him give me deadlines that he doesn't honor.
July 18th, 2008

Well, after about 2 weeks of being told "the check is in the mail, it should be there any day", I finally got Todd to just refund the money to my card that I originally paid with. That only took a week and a half.

Here is the kicker though, I got a refund for $572.46. I paid $549.00 for the intercooler and piping and $30 for shipping which would put me at $579.00 so I can understand getting a a few dollars less for transfer fees and such. However, I also paid $60 to get the intercooler anodized black. Where is that money.

I am getting really sick of dealing with Todd and TurboToyotas. Prospective buyers, please beware that you may get quality parts, but it will take forever to get them and if ANYTHING goes wrong down the road, be prepared for a fight. I originally ordered this intercooler kit on May 20th and I am still fighting with him.
July 21st, 2008

Well, after sending numerous e-mails back and forth with Todd, I haven't really gotten anywhere. He says that the missing money is for "restock fees". However, after looking through all of my invoices, I see nothing about any restocking fees. Also, when I talked with him on the phone about returning the piping, he said I could send it back for a FULL refund. Add to that the fact that I paid shipping for piping and the intercooler, but was only shipped the piping, I should be getting at least half of that back as well.

I can understand that he works a second job and that he has all of his stuff custom made. However, in this situation with deadline promises being broken over and over again, him lying about sending out my parts, sending my intercooler to the wrong person, taking weeks to get money sent out, and only giving a partial refund when I was promised a full refund. I think that ventures wayyyy into the realm of shady business practices.

I have never said he makes a bad product. He makes some of the best parts in the Scion market. However, his business practices are attrocious. It is for that reason that I will continue to alert people to how he conducts his business. I don't want other people scammed like I have been.
July 29th, 2008

I have sent several e-mails to Todd since my last update and he stopped answering them. The guy refuses to reply to my e-mails. I have asked for a breakdown of the "restock" fees he charged me (again, despite promising a full refund). This guy is scamming me out of money. To those thinking about getting parts from this thief, be warned.

In texting with Todd today, he is claiming that he can charge a 25% restock fee without notice (despite the promised full refund). He is also saying that it costed him more to ship the parts than I gave him money for. Is that my fault? He is the one that is in charge of the business. It didn't cost me much to send it back to him.

He is claiming that I "changed my mind" when in reality, it is his fault because of his missed deadlines, lies about shipping the parts, not even sending a lot of the parts, and him telling me I was welcome to send it back for a full refund.

The guy is a snake and changes his mind at will about things. Do not support this scam artist.

josh4201 07-29-2008 03:13 PM

Wow. What a joke. One would think that you could trust people for their services. I thought that turbo toyotas was a good company. Todd should know that if you want to run a succesful business you cant screw people over like this. Before reading this post I thought about buying a turbo kit from them.......but defanately not now. See how easy it is to loose customers from one bad screw up.
:loser:

TurboToyotas 07-29-2008 03:22 PM

Tony-

I DID NOT SCAM YOU nor I have I scammed anyone else.

Im at work, but I expected this. :)

I dont get many chances to defend myself or in this case BLAST a customer but in this case you left the door wide open.

i know its easy for any consumer to get on a forum and blast a company.

But its bad business for a Company to blast there customers.

But not in this case.

I have helped you out, charged you the minumum of restock fees and yet here you are.

I always get the raw end of the deal for being the "nice guy" and trying to help people out.

It always fun to deal with individuals like yourself who feel they are "entitled" when you are taken care of.

Just to shed some light on things.......'

He got his full refund.

I could have charged him a 25% restock fee but instead I charged him 6%.

He wants his shipping back which was $30.00 and it cost me more than that to ship what I sent him.

He was refunded the total amount of his order - the shipping amount (which I charged him, not what it actually cost me) and the 6% restock fee.

If thats your definition of being SCAMMED well sir I am sorry but you have no idea.

We have gone back and forth many times. Including this morning.

I can only explain things so many different ways for one to understand.

Tony was not SCAMMED by me.

R we having fun yet?

Regards-

Todd

THansenite 07-29-2008 03:30 PM

Might I remind you, Todd, that the piping was returned because of your mistakes. You told me on the phone that I could send the piping back for a FULL refund, not partial, not with fees taken out. FULL REFUND.
It was only after I sent the piping back, had to deal with the "check being in the mail" (which has still never made it to me), that Todd said anything about restock fees.

He refuses to send me an invoice detailing where exactly the fees were charged.

And regarding the shipping, how is it my fault if you figured the shippng wrong? You are the one that is in the business of shipping parts to people. It costed me $22 to send the piping back to you. If it costed you over $30 to send it to me, I think you need to find a new shipping company. Besides, the $30 shipping stated by you for the shipment of the piping AND intercooler that was never sent to me. I said I want PART of the shipping back since you only shipped PART of my order.

How can you say I got a full refund when in the next sentence you are saying that you are taking out fees? The 6% fees is still more than the full refund I was promised.

Hopefully, the readers of the forum will see through his lies.

torqueTc 07-29-2008 03:38 PM

Honestly, a 6% restock fee? I'd let that go. Todd does have to restock the stuff. Now what if someone doesnt buy that specific part for x amount of days or months?

Give the guy a little bit of a break, he returned all your $$ minus 6%? Id be happy with that if I was the customer. I wouldnt say you were scammed like you said repeatedly. Things dont happen instantly sometimes even though you want them to.

Im not promoting todd, or bashing him either way. I ordered some custom STOPTECH big brake kit brackets from their top distributer, and there was a chance they could be the wrong ones, so of course, my luck they were. I had to pay a 25% restock fee... so what?

Todd has to re-inspect every part (again, taking time) and make sure he can even re-sell it.

THansenite 07-29-2008 03:43 PM

True, however, despite all of this, I was promised a full refund. It was his screw-ups and he told me I could send the parts back. There was no talk of any fees. No, the 6% isn't a lot of money, but it is still money that is entitled to me. He can keep half the shipping since he shipped me about half of a kit, but the fact that he is scamming me out of the rest of it that was promised to me should show the Scion community how this guy operates.

torqueTc 07-29-2008 03:49 PM

Yah, again I am not promoting nor downtalking TT at all. I was just stating that in the back of my head, I always figure there is a "cost of doing buisness" somewhere.

You cant make everyone happy all the time, but you can try. It sounds like he did try twards the end to offer a resolution, and you did "accept" the return refund correct? I mean, you'd have more of an arguement if you didnt accept it.

THansenite 07-29-2008 04:02 PM

There wasn't really much "accepting", the money was credited back to my account. The check he supposedly sent several weeks ago never showed up.

Yes, there is a cost of doing business, but what about the months I had to wait to even get my parts when I was promised them in only a few weeks? (This isn't directed at you, torque, just throwing it out there). I needed my parts or my money for my car.

I think I was extremely patient and understanding during the first part of this, but when a company continually breaks promises and lies about products being shipped, it gets me a little irritated.

There is a "cost of doing business", but what about my cost of all the time spent trying to figure out if the product had been shipped, where it was, where the refund money was, plus, all this time, running without an intercooler on my car.

Scott8 07-29-2008 04:07 PM

6% isn't bad at all if you think what my company charges for a restocking charge. we chrage you 20% restocking fee, plus we charge you another $150 for pick up delivery. If it is a specialty piece, those are non-refundable. So, 6% on a $700 kit isn't terrible.

Did you ask Todd at time of purchase what his return policy is?

THansenite 07-29-2008 04:12 PM

At the time of purchase, I didn't have any intention on returning the product. Again, Todd said that I could send the piping back for a FULL refund. Nothing was ever mentioned about restocking fees until after he had the piping back in his posession.

I agree that 6% isn't bad, but it is still 6% less money than I was promised.

Scott8 07-29-2008 04:13 PM

well I hope you get it all straightened out

THansenite 07-29-2008 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scott8
well I hope you get it all straightened out

Me too. I am not holding out much hope though since I have been trying for a few weeks now. I just want to warn other ponential customers of the way he runs his "business".

rosedaleny806 07-29-2008 04:29 PM

ZPI? how come this isnt the first person saying sumthing bout turbotoyotas?

aen 07-29-2008 04:47 PM

^^ don't bring that up, you're going to get flamed.

rosedaleny806 07-29-2008 04:50 PM

in wat way? im not saying there a bad company its jus this isnt the first time sumthing happens wit turbotoyotas

Mr_Meaty 07-29-2008 04:50 PM

so what your saying is...as long as yoru willing to wait and you don't try to get return items, you should go ahead and order from TT as they make excelent products?

THansenite 07-29-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
so what your saying is...as long as yoru willing to wait and you don't try to get return items, you should go ahead and order from TT as they make excelent products?

Correct, but you will be on Todd's timeframe. It doesn't matter what agreements you made or deadlines you have, you will get the parts when Todd feels like it. And not all at once either. You'll get some parts one day, and others another day. If you don't mind waiting for several months and getting lies when you inquire about the status of your product, my all means, buy from Todd.

chicotunner07 07-29-2008 05:08 PM

todd didnt scam you

youre just mad cuz you didnt get your every wish and command, you should always inquire about a return policy before buying anything at all.

seems like your at fault here, if i was todd i would have charged you the full restocking fee simply because its his policy,

end of argument

THansenite 07-29-2008 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by chicotunner07
todd didnt scam you

youre just mad cuz you didnt get your every wish and command, you should always inquire about a return policy before buying anything at all.

seems like your at fault here, if i was todd i would have charged you the full restocking fee simply because its his policy,

end of argument

So its my fault that he said he would issue a full refund, then didn't? I didn't ask about his refund policy, he told me. Then, he decided to not give a full refund. Of course Todd also said several times that he had already sent out the parts when he hadn't. I shouldn't have trusted him when he said he would give me a full refund.

aen 07-29-2008 05:52 PM

it was a full refund, minus hte restocking fee.

this is a lost argument, todd already said his piece. you've said yours.

i personally will continue to trust todd