Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

BestBuy screwed me. What about you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BestBuy screwed me. What about you?

I bought a sony bluray player over black friday and when I opened it yesterday the screen was cracked and there was crap coming apart. I went back to bestbuy yesterday to get an exchange and they said it was "too damaged". I emailed to bestbuy corporate and am going to call sony corporate. Ill post pics tonight when I get back from class.

If you had a situation like this post it here.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^could've told ya best buy sucked lol never seen a review on here for a non-seller on here before
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should really go back and talk to the manager. They are obligated within that time period to give you another bluray player.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The manager was the one that said it was too damaged.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Then go corporate.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I work for Best Buy in Canada, returning a broken item is a tricky thing unfortunately because we do get a lot of people who break ____ and try to return it. Obviously you didn't break it, I tend to believe people in your situation because ____ like that does happen and 99% of the time people don't go thru that much trouble to exchange a bluray player. Anyways, the only advice I can offer is to ask for a direct exchange (not a refund), I would also threaten to complain to corporate or the BBB or start a lawsuit against them, a $200 item is not worth it to them. Also, was it an "Open Box" item? did it look factory sealed when you bought it? was the packaging damaged in any way? post some pics, I may be able to offer more advice. Best Buy is my favorite electronics retailer and I love working there but I do admit that sometimes their policies and judgment can be ___ backwards. Also remind them of how much you spend at their store, and how you've never had a problem with their customer service until now (hint that you may go elsewhere from now on.) Ask to speak to the general manager or to talk to the district manager on the phone. They ARE available at ALL times. I really do hope that this gets resolved, I would talk to my manager and see if there was anything he could do but I'm afraid the US Best Buy and the Canadian Best Buy are somewhat different in those matters. Also try returning it at a different Best Buy (if it's an option). I know in the past our store has made exceptions for broken returns (we write off ____loads of defective and broken product daily) and you have an OK chance of getting a new one or store credit.
I hope this helped.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try a different Best Buy.

I never had a problem with returns. They always been cool about me trading or giving me a cash return.

But I did break my xbox 360...I had extended warranty. Took it back and they sent it back. I got it back went to plug it in and still got the repair message. So I gave it to my sister; she took it to Game Stop and traded it for 40 bucks to go towards a new wii.

Since I work in a warehouse. I know its REALLY easy to drop it at the warehouse and send it out in the next few months. It gets worst during transferring to the store. Were you able to shift the box and hear something rattle? (You may want to do that in the near future) Last year I bought a LCD tv from them. It was the last 32 inch of that model. I took a chance because the box had drop hole in it. Took it home and plugged it in-its been working like a champ! (knock on wood)
Old 12-04-2010, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill try a different bestbuy tomorrow. All I asked for was a exchange. I wanted the same model. Can you exchange it at one bestbuy if you bought it at another? Ill post some pics as soon as I get home. The box looked fine to me. It was when I opened it was when I saw the problems. I already emailed bestbuy corporate and I also filed a complaint with sony.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think you can exchange it to another best buy. The individual best buy, despite being part of a big company, is still a business that gain individual profits. They will lose money if you return something you didn't buy from them. Each receipt has an address.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Domo
I dont think you can exchange it to another best buy. The individual best buy, despite being part of a big company, is still a business that gain individual profits. They will lose money if you return something you didn't buy from them. Each receipt has an address.

It still wouldn't hurt to try, right? All they could do is, "Well you didn't buy it here; so we can't do it?"

But the more I think of it....I bought my cable modem from one store. I found out that it was Time Warner problem so I didn't need the modem afterall. I went to the one near my apartment to return it. They didn't have a problem so they gave me the $80+s cash return for using a debit card.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by XPRESSCION
It still wouldn't hurt to try, right? All they could do is, "Well you didn't buy it here; so we can't do it?"

But the more I think of it....I bought my cable modem from one store. I found out that it was Time Warner problem so I didn't need the modem afterall. I went to the one near my apartment to return it. They didn't have a problem so they gave me the $80+s cash return for using a debit card.

^^ I'd have to agree with this... hell, worst case, they say "no" and you're no worse off then you are right now.
I heard about things to watch out for in a few articles I saw online regarding "black friday" deals and what-not. This was one that was on the list to watch out for. Companies not honouring returns/exchanges on electronic items. Hope you get it worked out. keep us posted.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try but think about it, why would another best buy take a machine that is broken into several pieces? I mean if the original best buy didn't want too, why would the next one want to. Just saying, the probability of the exchange working is slim to none but give it a shot, it might be your only shot.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only pics I could get at the moment is on my phone and the only way i can get pics off my phone is through facebook. So I apologize if some cant view the pics.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2420661_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._8255929_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4132144_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3613509_n.jpg

And thats how it came out of the box.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Don't be a little _____. Go in there demand that they give you a new one or give you a full refund in cash or to your card. If they don't do it call the police and tell them they need to send a unit out and that you want to file a business dispute/complaint.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you would have checked the item same day most likely they'd probably would have been more helpful, but waiting so long to return they're hesitant. Any electronics I get I inspect as soon as I get to the house, any issues I call the store immediately.

When I picked up a turntable for a Christmas gift last year from Radio Shack the brown box it was packaged in was open, I thought no biggie as probably it was to make sure the item was correct. Got to the house and the box for the actual turntable was opened. Gave a call to Radio Shack and explained the situation that I was given a preopened item that I am giving as a gift and said to bring it back and they'll get me another one. This was all done in like 30 minute time span.

I don't know how it was at any Best Buy store that day as I was at work at a different retail chain but a call and taking down the name of who you spoke to, and a trip back the same and ask for that same person would have likely avoided this headache. GL with getting this resolved soon.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
The only pics I could get at the moment is on my phone and the only way i can get pics off my phone is through facebook. So I apologize if some cant view the pics.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2420661_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._8255929_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4132144_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3613509_n.jpg

And thats how it came out of the box.

That's been tweaked from the bottom with pressure being exerted up. Probably someone not using the pallet jack or forklift properly and they hit to bottom of the stack. Or it was dropped and hit something in the middle of the box. The big problem is that if the box or packing shows no damage then it looks like it happend after you got it and opened the box to the store. I worked big box management for 10 years and you get to see everything over time. Just go back and politely insist that it be exchanged. Don't take no for an answer, if they say no then ask to speak to the manager's boss and ask for the corporate complaint address and phone number, and take the time to write a letter. It carries much more impact than a phone call. Do not call the police to fill a business dispute as suggested above. All that will do is ____ the store off and the police won't show up for it. They'll tell you to come in and fill out a report, they have better things to deal with. Being calm and persistant will get you what you want. Remember people in retail get yelled at all the time for real and imagined problems so they are used to it and saying no is the best they can do when they would really like to hit you for behaving that way.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well corporate didnt do ____. So I had to call sony. They said to send in the unit and they'll exchange it. Thats bull____ I have to spend more money on this.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iceman04503
Well corporate didnt do ____. So I had to call sony. They said to send in the unit and they'll exchange it. Thats bull____ I have to spend more money on this.
That's what you get for not being assertive
Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Do this....

1) Eat a ton
2) Avoid a bathroom
3) $#it your pants ... a good.. big one
4) Go in with the player
5) Tell them you will remain there at the counter until they resolve it
Note: Dont mention that you shat your pants... you wont need to after a few minutes..

Ok... at least I am giving you something to laugh at. I would have been a lot pushier on it though.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol thats some funny ____.

Originally Posted by engifineer
Do this....

1) Eat a ton
2) Avoid a bathroom
3) $#it your pants ... a good.. big one
4) Go in with the player
5) Tell them you will remain there at the counter until they resolve it
Note: Dont mention that you shat your pants... you wont need to after a few minutes..

Ok... at least I am giving you something to laugh at. I would have been a lot pushier on it though.

Quick Reply: BestBuy screwed me. What about you?