Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

International Car buying Scam Beware Guys!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default International Car buying Scam Beware Guys!!!!!!!

This has been around for awhile and some may already know about this but if not and you are selling a car read this and beware.

I am in the process of selling my xb on various, online websites, I recieved an email from a buyer in england who wants to by the car and have it shiped to canada. Ok sounded a little crazy at first but very profesional, here is a copy of the email,

********Greetings Pat

I am a procurement agent based in England and I have a client who is interested in buying your Scion xB listed. My client informed me that he is buying the Scion xB to present as a gift to the Cousin who just got married,and will be leaving for Canada next two weeks to stay with the Canadian Husband. This means that the vehicle will be shipped to Canada.

ATTACH THE INTERIOR PICS FOR EVALUATION.

MY CLIENT'S OFFER : $14,900 USD PLS CONFIRM

Hope all the documents are complete (TITLE PAPERS)?

Any accident history ?

Are you the first owner of the vehicle??

Why do you want to sell the vehicle?

My client is responsible for my commission, shipping and any handling bills.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon so that we can proceed with the transaction.

HENRY MARTINS

67 St Mary’s Mansions
Maida Avenue
Little Venice
W2 1SY England
44) 7040111242 .
Fax NO; 44-870-1331129********

This is when the scam starts He wants to send a cashiers check for an extra 3300 Dollars,

**********I am very happy to tell you that we have concluded with our client and he has instructed me to carry on with the transaction. He said that I should inform you that the payment will get to you in a cashier check of ($18,200 usd) which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.

He informed me that he intends using the refund payment to pay for your vehicle.

Due to company policy, this check has to be made out in this amount ($18 ,200usd) to you, because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check, so you are required to deduct cost of your VEHICLE [($14,900 usd] when the payment gets to you and refund balance [ $3300 usd] to my customer's Agent VIA MONEYGRAM INTERNATIONAL MONEY TRANSFER, for the agent to be able to offset shipping /pickupcharges ,contracting of the Pick up Agent, taxes,commission charges and any other handling bills.

After payment has reached you and balance sent back to his agent - the agent will contact the PICKUP AGENT-who will come for the pick up of the vehicle to be shipped to my client. My client is making necessary arrangement with some of the agent(s) and will provide me with the pickup/test driver agent information as soon as he decides whom to use as an Agent for the pickup of the Vehicle.****************

After I recieved this email I became very suspicious and looked into this, sure enough it is a huge scam people have been pulling for years over the net.

Im thinking a cashiers check the money will be in your account the next day { wow its legite the money is there!!! NOT !! } The problem is it will not officially clear the bank for at least 2 weeks.

If I was scamed I would have lost my car and been out an additional 3300 dollars.

Anyone contacts you to buy your car and it sounds like this tell em to go @#$@$# themselves and report there email address to http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

According the FBI thousands are fooled by this scam each year.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good warning. They'll do this kind of crap with anything. My girlfriend wanted to sell a BB gun on e-bay and got a similar kind of thing pulled. Seriously. A friggin' $45 BB gun! It seems no amount is too small or too large for this type of scam artist.