Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

2011 seatbelt alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2011 seatbelt alarm

I know this has been discussed previously but I just have to try. I just bought a used 2011 Scion xB and really hate the seat belt alarm. I always use my seat belt when driving in traffic but occasionally, in my driveway, in parking lots, or when I have some junk on the passenger seat, I have to listen to the stupid alarm.
Apparently Toyota has decided to remove owner access to the seatbelt disable function for 2011 and later. As I understand it, a dealer can perform the disable function with a scan tool. I have a ProScan OBDII tool that plugs into my laptop. One of the options in the software is a terminal window that allows me to send arbitrary commands. What I am wondering is, where can I get the secret commands to send? I know, I can go to a dealer but, that would not be free. It's my vehicle, I should be able to turn it off!
Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-26-2014, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But these are $20 each and I need 2 of them. Then, what if my carpool passenger decides to not use his seat belt one day and there is an accident? If he is killed, his family could sue me for using it!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally, I dont think its worth it. I have yet to actually drive one of the newer xB's.....is it like the tC where the alarm goes off for about 20 seconds or so and then stops, or does it just go off continuously?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The alarm does not go on and on. I think it shuts off after 40-50 seconds so no, it's not that big of an annoyance. If I did have the secret code so I could do it for free, I would still shut it off though. I don't need or want a seat belt reminder.
Also, I am a hard wired hacker so, if there is a lower level of control, I want to have access to it. I suspect the commands are hidden in the Toyota scan tool software and not documented in a service manual but would like to find out for sure.

On a similar topic, does anyone know if I can add a new key to the system without going to a dealer? If Toyota locked the user out of the seat belt function, did the add key function get locked out as well in 2011?