Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Default Airbag light

Hey all-
New to this forum, but glad i signed up cause i'm looking forward to your advice and hopefully i can offer some as well.

Bought the wife an 08 scion XD last year and a few months ago the Airbag light popped on. Is that a common issue for the Scion XDs? If so, should i take it to the dealership or a mechanic?
Old 05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member

I rebuild wrecked Scions and have never had one I could not trouble shoot the airbag light being on. couple questions. Has it ever been in a wreck. Here's an over view of the system. 5 sensors two in front on each side of rad. one in each b pillar (where seat belt bolts to) and one under pass seat. I rarely ever have to replace any of these sensors. Their is one crash computer under the radio on the floor that records any deployment of an airbag. I doubt it is this as you would be asking how to replace an airbag. When you turn on your key the car goes through a series of checks to make sure all sensors and airbags are working properly. If they are then after about 5 seconds the light will go out, if the test fails then the light will stay on. The airbags and seatbelts are also tied to the test. My guess one of plastic connections came loose to one of the airbags or sensors. you have 6 airbags in this car two on the dash two in the seats and two in the roof.. I would find someone with a scanner to scan your system it will tell you where the airbag test failed. Once you find that it is a basic trouble shoot of that area. Good luck. A dealer can scan it for you but they be the most expensive of all. And I may add I don't think this is a common problem with the XB's. you can open the hood and check to see if both front sensors are still connected. If the car has been in a wreck in the past it could be one of the repaired connections came loose. Then I would start by removing the drivers airbag and look. Most times the connectors have to be replaced and not everyone does a good job of this.