Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

All Your Motor Oil Answers

Old 06-12-2007, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a bunch of Mobile 1 5w-30 that I bought before I got my tC, but the 07 calls for 5w-20. Can I use the 5w-30? I know it is a little thicker but the 05's used 5w-30. Will it cause any issues? MPG?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by combatsteve
I have a bunch of Mobile 1 5w-30 that I bought before I got my tC, but the 07 calls for 5w-20. Can I use the 5w-30? I know it is a little thicker but the 05's used 5w-30. Will it cause any issues? MPG?
5w-30 will cause you to see a loss in your mpg. How much of a loss depends on a number of factors but, everything else being the same, the thicker motor oil should reduce your mileage by a small faction of a mile per gallon.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by combatsteve
NO ISSUES whatsoever.
You can't even measure the MPG that it might save you.
Use with confidence.

Scott
Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone ever used royal purple?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great thread.

I am surprised to not see any discussion about magnetic oil drain plugs. 40 years ago I was totally convinced about them. I bought a new, and kept for ten years, '69 Eldorado, and had no mechanical expenditures, just batteries etc. . I had a magnetic oil drain plug in it and I could feel a slight pumice-like collection of oil containing what I assumed was microscopic metal particles on the end of the drain plug each time I changed dyno oils (every 3000 miles). I was convinced it worked.

Back then I didn't do anywhere near the research I've done to buy my new (used with 6000 miles) 2006 xB. Of course I'm thinking of getting a magnetic drain plug, but from the dearth of discussions about them, I'm open to hearing that they do not help.

I plan on keeping my xB for ten years

Opinions?

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Well, they won't hurt.
I've used them in cars and compressors and other items, but cars don't seem to really need them because the filters are good and the oil is even better.
They're cheap, so why not.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_tC
has anyone ever used royal purple?
Yes, I use it all the time, why do you have a question about it???
Old 07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where do you get it? isn't it expensive? How does it feel using Royal Purple compared to other oils? I hear it works really great.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-23-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only place I have found it out here is Pepboys. Then after I found it there my BX on base started selling it. The Pepboys here has it on sale a lot. Its like 7bux a qt. normal, on sale for 6.69 though. I buy 4-5 just to keep one handy for whatever reason, when I buy the oil for my changes. Well it had the loud valve train ticking when it had stock oil in it, and then at the first oil change I had them put Mobil1 in it and v. train was still rather loud, 2nd change I put Royal in it and it quieted down the v. train IMO. Not a lot but it seems noticeably quieter to me, and it runs smoother. There's only a few oil brands that are true synthetics and not the ultra-refined convential oil "synthetics". Royal Purple is one, the others I don't remember, I havn't used them but I know people on here have and had great results with them as well. Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic though, even though they claim to be, the last time I heard. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Oh, and yes it is expensive 7bux a qt for Royal vs 3bux a qt for mobil1...but to me its worth it having synthetic...she deserves the best and that includes 91 oct at every fill up except 2-4 fillups where I made her drink 89
Old 08-12-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have taken my xB back to my dealership 4 times. I had an oil and filter change at 2,000 miles (just because) and then again at the 5k, 10k, and 15k recommended service intervals. I noticed the other day that they put a sticker on my windshield specifying the next change, and that is is a Coastal Petroleum branded sticker. This makes me wonder if they are using some off-brand oil in my car.

I will be calling them today now that it's on my mind and inquire as to what brand of oil they use. I am not happy thinking that something possibly non Toyota-spec has been in my car for 15,000 miles.

Jim
Old 08-12-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Always a good possibility its just the sticker. I'm sure they arn't going to pay for stickers for each brand of oil they use. My dealership only uses Toyo or Mobil 1 Just ask them what they stuck in there.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I emailed the service dept. at the dealership today and asked the question. We'll see what kind of response I get.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by dz302
I have taken my xB back to my dealership 4 times. I had an oil and filter change at 2,000 miles (just because) and then again at the 5k, 10k, and 15k recommended service intervals. I noticed the other day that they put a sticker on my windshield specifying the next change, and that is is a Coastal Petroleum branded sticker. This makes me wonder if they are using some off-brand oil in my car.

I will be calling them today now that it's on my mind and inquire as to what brand of oil they use. I am not happy thinking that something possibly non Toyota-spec has been in my car for 15,000 miles.

Jim
Toyota spec and Toyota "brand" are two different things.
Toyota is NOT going to put in oil that doesn't meet the spec's.

Scott
Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by amdforever
The only place I have found it out here is Pepboys. Then after I found it there my BX on base started selling it. The Pepboys here has it on sale a lot. Its like 7bux a qt. normal, on sale for 6.69 though. I buy 4-5 just to keep one handy for whatever reason, when I buy the oil for my changes. Well it had the loud valve train ticking when it had stock oil in it, and then at the first oil change I had them put Mobil1 in it and v. train was still rather loud, 2nd change I put Royal in it and it quieted down the v. train IMO. Not a lot but it seems noticeably quieter to me, and it runs smoother. There's only a few oil brands that are true synthetics and not the ultra-refined convential oil "synthetics". Royal Purple is one, the others I don't remember, I havn't used them but I know people on here have and had great results with them as well. Mobil 1 is not a true synthetic though, even though they claim to be, the last time I heard. Someone correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Oh, and yes it is expensive 7bux a qt for Royal vs 3bux a qt for mobil1...but to me its worth it having synthetic...she deserves the best and that includes 91 oct at every fill up except 2-4 fillups where I made her drink 89
Tue Synthetic oils as a rule...Amsoil. Redline, Royal Purple..beware of Mobil 1 they have changed and I don't believe they are a true synthetic anymore.. or maybe just a few of Mobil 1 products are such as Delvac etc.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool, thanks Sciond, Havn't heard much about Amsoil but I know most synthetic going people on here use Redline and Royal Purple. The German version of Castro is supposedly true synthetic as well but they are discontinuing it in the states.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Originally Posted by amdforever
Cool, thanks Sciond, Havn't heard much about Amsoil but I know most synthetic going people on here use Redline and Royal Purple. The German version of Castro is supposedly true synthetic as well but they are discontinuing it in the states.
that is correct about the Castrol I have some Auto Zone carries it...It is actually green... I did not include it because it is very rare and hard to find
BTW
Amsoil is the best of the lot
Old 09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what is the 30 in 10w30?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The weight of the oil when it reaches its hot temperature. So with 10w30 its 10 weight (w) when its cold out for easy engine start and as it heats up it becomes 30 weight by changing the shape of the molecular structure of the oil.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oooo i used to put 15w50 in my bmw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All Your Motor Oil Answers