Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 05:48 AM
5 Year Member

Default First Oil Change

When should I change my oil? I have read on other forums about changing it at 500, then 1000 then 3000 then going synthetic at 10K or 12K. I can't find anything on this forum about this topic. Thanks.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Read this post:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ight=mobil+oil
Old 05-30-2006, 05:54 AM
5 Year Member

I read that post. Nothing in it helps or has any info that I don't already know. Thanks though.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have read lots of posts and there are a lot of opinions. I have heard all of the mileages you posted being promoted. I have read that when you go to synthetic you should stay with it. I believe most people that are going to synthetic go to it on their first change.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

All you're going to find is opinion, so I'll add mine:

Switch to synthetic anytime after the 1000 mile break-in period and change at the specified intervals after that.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember, you have 3 free oil changes from Scion. I used those at 2500, 5000, and 7500 miles. I just switched to synthetic at 10000 and plan to change every 5000.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The intervals you speak of are recommended when building a new high performance engine. On a brand new engine from the factory it is recommended that you wait until 3k or 5k. It will not damage your engine in any way. I am not sure on toyota's but I know on vw's they actually use a special kind of synthetic designed to provide more wear on their motors, so th car breaks in faster. I personally change my oil every 3k with mobil1 10w-30. It's really a matter of opinion, but don't go past 5k unless you run long life oil. And in that case change the filter every 5k.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New cars come with a special blend of oil for the break-in period, once you get your first oilchange you may notice a change for the worse. For this reason I like to wait until 4k or 5k miles, even tho some people recommend quick oil change for new cars because the oil may acquire more engine particles.
Once you switch to synthetic stay there, don't switch back and forth. Switch early, if you switch on a higher mileage vehicle you are more likely to get oil leaks. Sythentic will keep your engine cleaner but is probably not a wise investment unless you plan to keep your car for several hundred thousand miles, if you drive like a maniac, or if you exceed the recommended oil change interval. You should still change your oil at 5000 miles tho synthetic is somewhat more forgiving if you get lazy and postpone your oil change.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Mobil 1 after the first 1K. Then every 5K thereafter. MPG's will improve. Oh and those "free" oil changes forgettaboutit. Nothings free. You will pay something. Why risk having your car F'd up by some kid in the service dept. for a simple oil change. Not worth the risk to my baby. They can keep those suckers.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

ur supposed to change ur oil the first time at 1000 miles because there is an additive they put in the engine from the factory that needs to be changed out after 1000 miles. after that they recommend that you change ur oil every 5000 miles. i myself still do it every 3000 miles. better safe than sorry.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure where you got your information, but that is not true. Please read your owners manual before posting your opinion as fact. You are not "supposed" to change your oil after 1000 miles. It is not stated in the manual or by toyota. Don't believe me? Call toyota and ask. There is nothing wrong with changing you oil every 5k including your first oil change. It will not hurt your engine. You are not talking about a rebuilt or high performance engine here. This is a brand new stock motor. If what you stated was fact every dealer would tell you and the factory would include it in the manual.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hey, im just repeating what the elk grove toyota and maita toyota service dept. told me when i asked. in any case there is no harm in changing oil too early, there is only harm when changing it too late. lastly, what is the point of forums..........it is to get other ppls OPINIONS! if u don't want other ppls .02 than don't post on here. i dunno.... just MY OPINION.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by 06scionsc
Not sure where you got your information, but that is not true. Please read your owners manual before posting your opinion as fact. You are not "supposed" to change your oil after 1000 miles. It is not stated in the manual or by toyota. Don't believe me? Call toyota and ask. There is nothing wrong with changing you oil every 5k including your first oil change. It will not hurt your engine. You are not talking about a rebuilt or high performance engine here. This is a brand new stock motor. If what you stated was fact every dealer would tell you and the factory would include it in the manual.
You can do what you want with your car. If you had a clue as to what happens during break-in you would not want that oil going through your motor for 5K. As the engine breaks-in you get metal shavings because all the moving parts are mating to each other. It's a fact of engine life. Just because they tell you it's OK doesn't mean you HAVE to do it. It's cheap insurance to do it at 1K miles
The best thing is to change it at 1K and make the switch to Mobil 1. I plan on getting 300K out of my motor and have gotten 500K plus out of other motors doing this in the past.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

amen jethro. thanks for ur post.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc-guy
amen jethro. thanks for ur post.
No problem! It's amazing what people will tell other and what people will believe just because "The dealer says so"
Old 06-15-2006, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well jethro i realize that you believe because you are older than me you are some how superior. Unfortunately this is not the case. I am not stating what I believe to be fact because "My dealer told me so." In fact not only do I work at a toyota dealership, but I am ASE, Toyota, Honda, and Acura factory trained. I have also worked for VW and Audi. As for having a clue about break-in. If that is not enough for you maybe you should contact someone in private before assuming anything. I have rebuilt numerous motors in my life for customers and for high performance uses. Considering that my last vfehicle was a daily driven 11.7second, 450AWHP Mitsubishi Eclipse I think I may have a little more knowledge about engines than the average joe. If you want to change your oil before the recommended time that is your perogative. Did I say it would hurt the car to do so? No, I think not. However I did say that you should not state an opinion as fact. Unlike you I was able to make a statement without attacking someone.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

06scionsc, Sorry you felt "attacked". That was not my intention. If you have all this knowledge why not try to educate others about NOT waiting till 5 K to get the break-in oil out. You DID make it sound like it was OK to wait on such an important item. Toyota doesn't really care as long as the car makes it out of warranty.
What I stated was FACT not just my opinion. I just wish others would stop relying on what Toyota and the dealer tells them. If you can take steps to lengthen your engines life why not do it?