Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Floormats: A less expensive (and better) solution!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Floormats: A less expensive (and better) solution!

My floormats were wearing out rapidly (plain at 900 miles!) so I decided to replace them while there was something left. I really didn't want to go with the aluminum plates some are getting, as they are a bit too flashy for me

I went to the auto parts stores and found that the mats available there were either too flimsy or styled in ways that didn't fit the xB. Lots of Tasmanian Devils and wild graphics, or strongly embossed designs that didn't fit the clean lines of the xB.

I then proceeded over to Home Depot, where I found a nice 36x60 inch ribbed floor mat made by Apache in the doormat area. It is ribbed polypropyline carpet on a vinyl backing, and it is made for high traffic areas. Total cost was $18.00. The mat is big enough to cut out a full set of floor mats for the car with lots of bits left over for the bottom of the cupholders and map bins, etc..

I used the dealer mats for patterns, but modified the design to provide more coverage for wear areas that the dealer mats missed, such as the "dead pedal" on the left side of the driver's floor.

The new mats look great, and match the interior of the xB even better than the $$$ dealer mats. They don't have the "scion" embrodery, but I already know what kind of car I drive.

The whole project took about an hour.

I have no idea of how well the new mats will wear, but anything is better than the junk the dealer sold me. At $18 a set, I can afford to change out worn mats!

George
Old 08-17-2003, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member

Cool DIY. Pics would be real cool too if you can get em.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Lemme C

Great idea ! Lets see pics !!!
Old 08-18-2003, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Lemme C

Originally Posted by Djuan
Great idea ! Lets see pics !!!
You will find pictures of my mats in the Gallery!

George
Old 09-24-2003, 05:41 PM
HH
5 Year Member

Default Alternative floor mats

I bought the Simpsons front floor mats from Target and they fit great! Thanks, voices in my head... you came through again.

:D
Old 09-25-2003, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

I noticed that the stock floormats are spiked on the undersides to prevent them from sliding around, so is sliding a problem for your floormats george?
Also, what did you do about those hooks that hook the front driver and passenger floormats?
thanks
Old 09-25-2003, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ghasper
I noticed that the stock floormats are spiked on the undersides to prevent them from sliding around, so is sliding a problem for your floormats george?
Also, what did you do about those hooks that hook the front driver and passenger floormats?
thanks
No spikes on the backside of mine. The stock hooks hold the mats in place just fine.

George
Old 09-29-2003, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

I did exactly what George suggested, except I bought two of the Home Depot floor mats so I could cut out one for the cargo area. The dealer let me borrow the Scion mats for a day (just before I took delivery of my xB) so I could use them for templates.

The mats look terrific - thanks George! :D
Old 09-29-2003, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My drivers side floor mat was trash within 600mi. I called Scion customer service and spoke with Aaron Helenihi (866-70-SCION). I told him about the mats. He told me when i take it in for my first oil change it would be replaced. Sure enough, with no questionsa asked it was replaced. I cant begin to explain how happy I am with my car (xB) and the Scion organization. :D
Old 09-29-2003, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 1sikxb
My drivers side floor mat was trash within 600mi. I called Scion customer service and spoke with Aaron Helenihi (866-70-SCION). I told him about the mats. He told me when i take it in for my first oil change it would be replaced. Sure enough, with no questionsa asked it was replaced. I cant begin to explain how happy I am with my car (xB) and the Scion organization. :D
sweet. now you have a nice new floormat that you can replace again after 600 more miles.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eric m.
Originally Posted by 1sikxb
sweet. now you have a nice new floormat that you can replace again after 600 more miles.
Or keep on the shelf and throw in when you sell the car :)

George
Old 09-29-2003, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Strader
I did exactly what George suggested, except I bought two of the Home Depot floor mats so I could cut out one for the cargo area. The dealer let me borrow the Scion mats for a day (just before I took delivery of my xB) so I could use them for templates.

The mats look terrific - thanks George! :D
You're welcome. Remember that the factory mat pattern leaves a lot to be desired, and you can improve on it quite a bit. In particular, the "Dead Pedal" area is subject to high wear can be covered.

After 2000 miles of using the Home Depot mats they are showing a bit of wear under the driver's heels, but not nearly as much as the factory mats. They should be good for quite a few miles before needing a replacement!

George
Old 10-06-2003, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member

I bought the mats before reading this forum...so I'm going to store them for a later date. New, factory mats, should come in handy at selling time, or trade-in time.