Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Car Care (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/)
-   -   Has anyone tried collecting on the air conditioning TSB? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/has-anyone-tried-collecting-air-conditioning-tsb-22459/)

Old_Punk 04-12-2005 02:49 PM

Has anyone tried collecting on the air conditioning TSB?

In Technical Service Bulletin AC007-04, Toyota offers an air conditioning upgrade for xBs. It includes, among other things, a new compressor and condenser. The introduction to the TSB says:

"In high ambient temperature areas, some 2004-2005 model years Scion xB owners feel the A/C system does not blow cold enough air. This procedure provides a method to improve this condition."

So I called a dealer service department to find out about getting this done before it gets hot around here. He says I need to come in and have my A/C system performance checked first to see if I qualify.

Is this standard, or is he just trying to get out of a lot of work?

If it's standard, then shouldn't I wait until some stinking hot day to have the system performance checked?

bBsactoguy 04-12-2005 02:57 PM

If that's true then I want to get mine checked.

But overall, Im enjoying my A/C air flow. Maybe it's beacause I had to deal with a 91 corolla for a couple years hehehe

shorberg 04-12-2005 03:02 PM

Can you post the whole TSB?

George 04-12-2005 03:27 PM

I think that your dealer is making you jump through hoops. Toyota has acknowleged that a defect exists and they are paying for the repair, so the dealer shouldn't be too picky.

I know of one person here in SoCal who had it done recently, even thought the AC wasn't exactly "performance challenged" in the winter!

I plan on getting mine done, along with the fuel filler TSB, as soon as the weather warms up so I can measure the difference in performance.

Old_Punk 04-12-2005 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by shorberg
Can you post the whole TSB?

Well, it's 27 pages long. Besides, when I found reference to it here at Scion Life, there was some question of the legality of posting the info or links to it. Rather than cause trouble, I'll just say to use the TSB number to search for more info.

Old_Punk 04-12-2005 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by George
I think that your dealer is making you jump through hoops.

Yeah, I know there's this warranty work dance between customers, dealers and manufactureres. The dealers seldom feel like the manufacturer compensates them enough for warranty work. It takes up staff, space and time that could be spent on more profitable stuff, so the dealers resist.

Cockpit_XB 04-12-2005 03:35 PM

thats interesting, i might go get mine checked out.

shorberg 04-12-2005 03:40 PM

Is this for all xB's or just the 04's/03's? or what does it aply to?

shorberg 04-12-2005 03:46 PM

nm duh sorry

AdioScion05 04-12-2005 03:51 PM

Ya I herd about this almost 6 months ago. I went to get my oil changed, and the scion rep. asked me if there was anything wrong with my a/c. The guy in the service dept. said that it only applys to certian xBs( I think he said the 04s), or if you have a noticeable change.

p.s. My a/c smells like real bad (like a wet shirt has been sitting in my car), when I first turn the a/c on. Is that common??

Old_Punk 04-12-2005 04:00 PM

The TSB offers two levels of upgrade, depending on the VIN:

- Start of production to JTLKT3#4*50190681 get installation of BOTH the Air Conditioner Accessory Assembly and the Air Conditioner Additional Kit

- JTLKT3#4*50190681 to present get installation of the Air Conditioner Additional Kit ONLY.

The "Additional Kit" includes the compressor and condenser. The "Accessory Assembly" includes a new A/C blower, heater and defroster nozzle.

NYCxB 04-12-2005 05:08 PM

This TSB as of 9/23/2004 so I don't know who is effected after this date (I got mine in mid-November 2004 (it is an 2005).

JdMBboFSD 04-12-2005 05:25 PM

I want to do this too...but i want to hear a success story first...

Fujiz_xb 04-12-2005 05:26 PM

Start of production to JTLKT3#4*50190681 get installation of BOTH the Air Conditioner Accessory Assembly and the Air Conditioner Additional Kit

- JTLKT3#4*50190681 to present get installation of the Air Conditioner Additional Kit ONLY.
same bracket??

Tango 04-13-2005 12:07 AM

I got all the info together yesterday, while it was warm :rofl: :rofl:
Of course I forgot all about it today (60 degrees) until I saw this post. I'm going to the dealer on saturday.

Max 04-13-2005 01:59 AM

My xB is an 05, but an earlier one (delivered 7/29/04) and it is applicable under the first case with the accessory kit. I should also note, that while highly unlikely, this TSB is not valid for anyone with more that 36,000 miles.

Davestoaster 04-13-2005 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Old Punk

The TSB offers two levels of upgrade, depending on the VIN:

- Start of production to JTLKT3#4*50190681 get installation of BOTH the Air Conditioner Accessory Assembly and the Air Conditioner Additional Kit

The "Additional Kit" includes the compressor and condenser. The "Accessory Assembly" includes a new A/C blower, heater and defroster nozzle.

I have those TSB's in paper form. I was also thinking of getting it done "just because". That was until I read the whole TSB. They both are real big time labor intensive. I think that they involve not only removing your complete dash board assembly, but the whole front bumper assembly as well.

I started thinking I'll just leave well enough alone until I really need it. Don't want someone taking apart my car without ME around.

Old_Punk 04-13-2005 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fujiz_xb

Start of production to JTLKT3#4*50190681 get installation of BOTH the Air Conditioner Accessory Assembly and the Air Conditioner Additional Kit

same bracket??

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Old_Punk 04-13-2005 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Max
My xB is an 05, but an earlier one (delivered 7/29/04) and it is applicable under the first case with the accessory kit. I should also note, that while highly unlikely, this TSB is not valid for anyone with more that 36,000 miles.

Correct. You need to still be within the 36 mo./36K miles limits of the regular warranty.

George 04-13-2005 04:18 PM

I'm trying to get a handle on these TSBs. The site that previously hosted them has merged with another site and the owner no longer has the TSBs. I'm trying to get in touch with the person to which he handed them off. Unfortunately, that site is non-functional. Still trying...

George