Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

How can I remove my AEM intake filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default How can I remove my AEM intake filter?

I've bought my xB with AEM cold air intake. But filter is INSIDE the bumper... now how can I remove my filter to clean it......hmm....do I have to remove my bumper just to reach my filter? or is there any shortcut for it?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You shouldnt have to clean it yet unless you have like 15,000 miles on it. even though it looks dirty a few thousand of miles on it wont hurt it. The K&N actually works better dirty (well thats what they claim).
Old 10-11-2003, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Only reason why i wanted to mess with my filer is that i wanted to clean as often as i can so that i can run my car at best condition, not to mention keeping my fuel economy at its best :D
Old 10-12-2003, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DenZinz is telling you the truth.

seriously, there is no reason to clean it unless to drive through powdery, slity dirt roads every day. K&N style filters do not need to be perfectly clean looking to work effeciently.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well, i usually clean my k & n filter in my other car once every 6,000miles, and it does get really nasty...hmm...maybe its my neighborhood....or maybe my driving...but i though i outta know how to remove my filter so that i won't have to ponder a whole day how to get it out....since its way down into the bumper. have anyone removed their AEM filter before? :?
Old 10-12-2003, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i know this is off subject, but how do you like the Tein coil overs?

is that what you used to drop your xB? it looks really nice.....

are you able to soften and stiffen the ride a little with the remote?

any thoughts on the Teins would be appreciated.....

thanks
Old 10-12-2003, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, to tell you the truth, I've bought my Tein coilover like 2months ago, but it's still being sent from japan.... I should be getting it within 2wks:oops: I just wrote it there so that I won't forget. Tein coilovers are supposed to give a COMFORTABLE ride instead of stiff sporty ride. They are NOT adjustable on stiffness, only on heights. I guess when the coilover says "wagon series" they don't make'em like a sporty ones. I was hoping to get it installed by someone with knowledge.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: How can I remove my AEM intake filter?

Originally Posted by kagero79
I've bought my xB with AEM cold air intake. But filter is INSIDE the bumper... now how can I remove my filter to clean it......hmm....do I have to remove my bumper just to reach my filter? or is there any shortcut for it?
First, get a sawzall....

Having looked at an AEM intake at the Canyon Cruise this morning, I can see why it could cause concern. That thing is buried way in there!

Can you get at it from underneath? That way looks like the best bet to me.

Now if you've got fog lights, there is even more hassle as there is a definite interference there. Obviously the test mule that AEM was given didn't have fog lights on it!

George
Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well, I know most people don't see small details until they get down to it...Since I have another cold air intake in my other car, I figured it's a simple job to clean it. But after I got my car back from a dealer and to see how it was done, I was just shocked at how AEM made cold air intake like some crammed piping job. Oh by the way, to access your fog light bulbs (if you got that option) I went underneath my car to reach to replace my light bulbs with PIAA yellow fog bulbs (they work great in rain, fog & snow!) so it' really an exercise to get access to small things.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kagero79
Well, I know most people don't see small details until they get down to it...Since I have another cold air intake in my other car, I figured it's a simple job to clean it. But after I got my car back from a dealer and to see how it was done, I was just shocked at how AEM made cold air intake like some crammed piping job. Oh by the way, to access your fog light bulbs (if you got that option) I went underneath my car to reach to replace my light bulbs with PIAA yellow fog bulbs (they work great in rain, fog & snow!) so it' really an exercise to get access to small things. :shock:
The intake was made with strict guidelines from Toyota. The main reason for the loop in the piping is that the MAF sensor wire harness will be strained too much if you went straight across to the filter location.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:23 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know this may be late (You probably cleaned your filter already). But i pulled it at 12000 miles a few days ago and cleaned it myself. I didn't have to remove anything.

The easiest way to remove the filter to clean-

1) Jack up the Car on the drivers side.

2) Get under the bumper towards the right (if facing the scion from the front). Look up

3) Unscrew the clamp on the intake filter.

4) Push up to bring the filter out of the piping.

5) Push the piping back a few millimeters (All you need)

6) Pull the dirty filter down towards the bottom of the bumper (There should be enough space)

7) Push/Bend the underbody plastic cover to allow the filter to pass through the bottom of the bumper

8) Clean filter with AEM cleaner or K&N filter cleaner. Follow the instructions backwards to reinstall.

Enjoy. These instructions may work but depending on how the dealer or you installed the AEM Filter you may not be able to extract the intake filter.