Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Car Care (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/)
-   -   my tire was punctured (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/my-tire-punctured-24247/)

jaewon223 05-02-2005 02:18 PM

my tire was punctured

my tired was punctured last saturday and i removed the foreign object. it was a small piece of metal, but shortly afterwards the low tire pressure light came on. i have to keep refilling air cuz the pressure keeps dropping. my friend told me to get that tire patch thing. anybody got more info? looked it up online didnt find much

ack154 05-02-2005 02:20 PM

You're better off taking to somewhere to have it repaired. It's usually pretty cheap, but better than using any Fix-a-Flat or something - b/c then you can't repair the tire.

PonyTc 05-02-2005 02:30 PM

there is a really good green slime type thing, it will last you quite some time, BUT it is good to go get it patched. the patch should be less than 10 bucks

matt_a 05-02-2005 02:39 PM

Don't use Fix-a-Flat unless it's an emergency. That stuff really gums up the iside of a tire and rim. It's a mess for a tire shop to deal with. If you have a slow leak, just go to a local tire shop and have it fixed. It won't cost much (under $10) and won't take long.

jaewon223 05-02-2005 02:51 PM

ok thanks everybody

epitek 05-02-2005 03:18 PM

where is the leak btw? if its in the side wall, i dont think they can patch it up, or can they still? i got a flat once, and they said they couldn't patch it because it was located on the side wall... now that i think of it more.. i think i got butt raped on that one.

ack154 05-02-2005 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by epitek
i think i got butt raped on that one.

Did they at least give you any lube?

Ya, I think you're right, the side wall ones are pretty much shot... if it was just a nail or screw in the tread or something, that's usually the easiest to repair.

epitek 05-02-2005 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ack154

Originally Posted by epitek
i think i got butt raped on that one.

Did they at least give you any lube?

oh... they lubed it up alright.. so much that they gave me a tire with the wrong dimensions!! i had to get another tire after that, but i kept that one as a spare.

JasonH 05-02-2005 06:37 PM

You're not supposed to use Fix-a-Flat (or similar products) in any speed-rated tire. Since our tires are Z-rated, you definitely don't want to use it.

Mindcage133 05-02-2005 06:46 PM

You don't want to use the green slime stuff either. it's more for biks and lawn mowers. read the bottle "not recommended for use above 70 mph"

vanberge 05-03-2005 12:21 AM

most placec (like sears) can use this thing that is half patch, half plug... It works great.

I had to do it on my previous car, 94 intrepid.

They sell "do it yourself" plug kits like at walmart... but those don't work that well in my experience.

Go to sears, get it patched/plugged

EnderSavesTheDay 05-03-2005 12:44 AM

Please let us now how things work out.

terra_tC 05-03-2005 03:57 AM

If your planning on getting it patched, take it to a tire shop and get it properly volcanized.
I one had a key puncture and get stuck in my tire, out of all wierd things, and that is waht they did...works great now.

The_Instigator 05-03-2005 03:59 AM

Good to know the tire pressure monitoring system works properly though huh?

Eiso 05-03-2005 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Instigator
Good to know the tire pressure monitoring system works properly though huh?

:lol: yeah right! haha! Get it fix at a local shop dude! This kinda money needs to be spent when this thing happens :doh:

ale_mama 05-03-2005 04:19 AM

Gawd mine had a screwdriver in there :nope: , dont ask how but I had to get a brand new tire :dead: I tried to keep the old one but it was no good, It had a patch but since i was going to go out of town that guy told me it wasnt safe.

woodstock 05-03-2005 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ale_mama
Gawd mine had a screwdriver in there :nope: , dont ask how but I had to get a brand new tire :dead: I tried to keep the old one but it was no good, It had a patch but since i was going to go out of town that guy told me it wasnt safe.

haha... i can't resist... i would really like to know how you got a *screwdriver* stuck in your tire :P

TurboMe 05-03-2005 04:56 AM

i got a flat early this month and i patched it myself. Spray soapy water to find the leak if u dont know where it is.