Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Car Care (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/)
-   -   No Oil Change Appointments for Scions (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/no-oil-change-appointments-scions-1255/)

scionman2003 01-07-2004 03:27 PM

No Oil Change Appointments for Scions

I called the dealer to make an appointment for an oil change on Saturday. The girl asked if that was all I needed and I replied yes. She asked what time, and I answered. She asked my name, and I gave it to her. She then asked what type of car I had, when I told her it was a Scion she told me I did not need an appointment, it is first come first served.

Am I being treated as a second-class citizen because I have a Scion? If I had said Toyota would she have given me an appointment? Has anyone else run into this?

hatchbox 01-07-2004 03:35 PM

I think what she was assuming was that since most scion owners havent used up their 3 free oil changes yet, there will be a lot less paperwork, as in billing info, etc.

Oil changes are quick and easy. They take a mere dent in the time for them to perform.

I wouldn't take offense to the "no appointment neccessary" schpiel. Instead I find it more convenient for me to take it in whenever i want to, rather than set an appointment and having to set up my schedule according to that appointment.

JDMxB 01-07-2004 04:29 PM

Exactly--I prefer it non appointment, and for me to just bring my ___ down there whenever I have time, instead of making sure THEY have time to help me.

@ Longo...the oil changes get you in and out in less than 39 minutes...at least that's what VP told me. Then again, he is kinda nutty--so your mileage may vary.

Good Deal either way--the price is right on the first 3.

01-07-2004 04:32 PM

Appointments don't do much anyway, I always show up early to the dealer and always take me in without even checking my appointment.

TheRedBox 01-07-2004 04:33 PM

Agreed w. stylis.

yanges 01-07-2004 05:40 PM

Re: No Oil Change Appointments for Scions

Originally Posted by scionman2003
I called the dealer to make an appointment for an oil change on Saturday. The girl asked if that was all I needed and I replied yes. She asked what time, and I answered. She asked my name, and I gave it to her. She then asked what type of car I had, when I told her it was a Scion she told me I did not need an appointment, it is first come first served.

Am I being treated as a second-class citizen because I have a Scion? If I had said Toyota would she have given me an appointment? Has anyone else run into this?

it was not the type of car that did it, my dealership does 'first come, first serve' on Saturdays also...

does not matter if you have a Scion or Toyota....

SGVside 01-11-2004 09:19 PM

First come, first serve is alright. I changed my oil at Longo twice already and it took about 20-30 minutes each time, which is about right since they change your oil, check your tire pressure, and check and add fluids.

showpaojoe 01-11-2004 09:22 PM

I was told at my toyota 3 hrs. there goes your first come first serve policy

its_ikon 01-12-2004 07:38 PM

oil changes are quick. if it is first come first serve you will want to get there when they open or about hour before they close. usually only takes about 20-40 mins depending on how busy it is.

gstuiep 01-15-2004 04:31 AM

to clarify...toyota dealerships have what they call "express lube" ...i used to do em.lol. there is no appointment necessary...they gaurentee your car will have its oil done in 29 min or less...this is what they use for the free oil changes u get b/c they use a teen that they pay about $ 6.00 an hr to do it as opposed to a master tech that makes about 20 -25 an hour... makes sense...no appointment necessary...and no you are not being treated like a step chiled...if u just want an oil change the express lube guys do it.

gstuiep 01-15-2004 04:34 AM

also...i dont know how toyota dealerships in calif work...im from maryland... but my dealership has "temas" represented by diff colors...you want to get on a team so the same guys are workin on your car and you have the same service writer. that will make things easier...then you can make your appointments through your service writer rather than the main receptionist who has no idea what shes talkin about most of the time...no offense if anyone out there is a receptionist....

bBted 01-15-2004 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by showpaojoe
I was told at my toyota 3 hrs. there goes your first come first serve policy

thats what my dealer told me too...im hitting 15k now, havent use the free oil change yet...i like to do it myself...15mins top 8)

tCtech 01-26-2004 12:17 AM

okay i work for toyota so i will try to give insight. it's similar to the above explanations. oil changes only take twenty minutes most depending on how lazy the parts guy is. saturdays are always slow. there is never much work and the dealer usually runs a limited staff so no major jobs are going on. they expect everyone will be home and come in for the express lube. it saves time for busy service writers to not have to schedule simple stuff for new cars that they know arent going to have any major plans. usually a car will come in for an oil change and a qualified master tech does it and looks it over. tons of crap will be wrong cuz people have had it for multiple years and wont take care of their cars so they will get written up for like 10 hours of suggested fixes. brand new scion, just bring it in. no problem.

that's the reasoning more or less.

Munch 01-26-2004 12:22 AM

I change my own oil screw the dealer. I don't trust those guys with my cars much anyway. An oil change is much cheaper when you do it yourself, and you know it's done right.I had a freind get an oil change at the dealer and 3 days later found an oil puddle under his car. Come to find out it was a loose oil filter. Now that's sucks.

CBSIMONSEZ 01-26-2004 11:26 AM

Oh, have i got oil change stories for you ...

1) My cousin, years ago who just bought a new Saturn, had an oil change done somewhere, and the next day, her car was making this rattling sound. Her boyfriend checks the dip stick, NO OIL! He then checks under the car, NO DRAIN PLUG! Crying shame, couple thousand miles on a new car, and the motor was driven with no oil. Needless to say, she traded it in on a new Caddy.

2) A while back, i had my oil changed on my Nissan p/u at Jiffy Lube in think, anyway, they do the oil change and install a new air filter. Well, i come out and there are greasy hand prints all over the truck, grease on the inside of the trucks interior, and the wing nuts for the air filter box were all missing! I went in and raised hell, made a hudge scene. The manager and the mech came out, took a look, and basically shrugged it off! But they were so nice, they tried to take off the greasy paw prints with WINDOW CLEANER! Thats what i always use to wash my paint, window cleaner, works great for the wax.... grrrrrrr

This is why i have all the tools, air wrenches, and supplies here, cause i know what i have done, and what is being put into the car. The RS1 will be no exception, free oil changes or not.

fr130 02-20-2004 10:48 AM

I'm approaching my 1K miles status. I've been reading on the boards to change the oil at 1K. Hey, it's 3 free oil changes.

But here's my concern. All the Toy dealers that I've gone to with my previous cars have added 10W30, while it specifically states that 5W30 is best (xB strictly states that 5W30 be used). If 5W is not available, 10W can be used but that next oil change must be 5W (states that on the xB manual as well).

What weight have dealers been putting in your Scion? I know some/most dealers have huge quantities of 10W30.

JDMxB 02-20-2004 01:17 PM

Stay away from Jiffy Lube guys...saw a dateline special on them and other shady mechanics--they actually try to sell you on ____ you don't need--AND they target old ladys!!! Totally whack, and hope they all go to hell. One case, they charged for a filter change and everything--and the guy didn't even change a damn thing. Total ripoff...be careful out there guys.

TheScionicMan 02-24-2004 11:55 PM

Here's another good reason not to go to Jiffy Lube.

I used to work at a Jeep dealership. A lady brought her Grand Cherokee in for some warranty work. While the guys were under the hood, they noticed that the dipstick was missing! The customer said she had just come straight from Jippy Lube, so we called them and said you better send someone down with her dipstick, post-haste. Ten minutes later, in walks the poor shopboy from JippyLube with a handful of dipsticks! They had done it so many times they didn't know which dipstick was hers. The tech. picked the Jeep one out and we sat and felt bad for those other 11 people driving around with no dipstick...

And if that isn't bad enough... They use PENNZOIL, Puke.

yanges 02-25-2004 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Here's another good reason not to go to Jiffy Lube.

I used to work at a Jeep dealership. A lady brought her Grand Cherokee in for some warranty work. While the guys were under the hood, they noticed that the dipstick was missing! The customer said she had just come straight from Jippy Lube, so we called them and said you better send someone down with her dipstick, post-haste. Ten minutes later, in walks the poor shopboy from JippyLube with a handful of dipsticks! They had done it so many times they didn't know which dipstick was hers. The tech. picked the Jeep one out and we sat and felt bad for those other 11 people driving around with no dipstick...

And if that isn't bad enough... They use PENNZOIL, Puke.

that is pretty sad! i quit going there when i changed my tranny fluid and filter, and when i asked the guy that was working on my car to see the old filter he kept ignoring me....

i had to hassle the manager to get him to show it to me and even though it looked like the type i used, i never really trusted them after that....

so far i am having good luck with my local Toyota dealer.... :roll:

XbNatashaXb 02-26-2004 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by JDMxB
--AND they target old ladys!!! Totally whack, and hope they all go to hell.

They also Target girls! I was charged $80 for an oil change at JIFFY LUBE , all I asked for was the basic oil change... up until that time my father or boyfriend would take care of my oil... and for some reason I ended up having to do it myself this time... those guys must have seen right through and knew it was my first time having my oil changed on my own, (I know it's kinda sad that a 20 year old girl doesn't know better) I thought $80 was a normal price, until I spoke to the men in my life...

I agree, I hope they rott in hell[/quote]