Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Possible Vacuum Leak - 2007 Scion tC

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Possible Vacuum Leak - 2007 Scion tC

Hey everyone. I've done some searching and some lurking and I haven't found anyone with my exact issue (close but not exact), so I wanted to post up and ask a question.

My check engine light has been on for about 6 months or so now. When I hold the gas pedal at a constant rpm there is a distinct whistling noise coming from the engine bay when I hit around 6k. Also, when I'm driving, and I shift, the engine makes the whistling noise for a split second when I get back on the gas but then goes away as I get harder on the gas. I believe I have a Vacuum leak, but the dealer is certain there is no vacuum leak and couldn't find the problem. They ended up updating my ECU and cleared the code, it then came back on after a day.

I pulled this from another forum, but this is exactly what code is being thrown:
ok... so heres what the codes mean.......

P0441-the PCM has determined that the purge flow in the evaporative emission contol system is incorrect for the current engine conditions.

Definition....
EVAP small leak/no flow condition

Explanation....
The evaporative emission system is monitored

Probable causes....
1. Defective or loose fuel cap
2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
4. vacuum leak at engine

P0455- The PCM has determined that a large leak exists in the evaporative emission control system

Probable causes....
1.defective, loose or missing fuel cap
2. Evap canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
3. purge or vent soloid defective
4. vacuum leak at engine

So.... after all the B.S. both codes are related and i would bet you a million dollars the reason for the codes to pop up is the the gas cap was eather off or not tight for a lenght of time. So... its an easy fix, just take it to autozone and use there OBDII tester (they will let you use it free if you do it in the parking lot) and reset the codes, and make sure the gas cap is tight from now on or these codes can come back.
This is definitely not a gas cap issue. I've checked and rechecked that. There is also no corrosion or rusting where gas goes into the tank. The cap seems to be in good shape as well.

I'm perplexed at the issue. The noise is definitely coming from the front end so that leaves me to believe it is not the EVAP system, as that is near the gas tank.

Any thoughts? Much appreciate in advance. Thanks!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What mods do you have?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by lynks
What mods do you have?
Just intake, otherwise the car is completely stock.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am assuming the whistle your hearing is just your intake. K&N intake? Try getting on the gas and listen to the whistle, if you can control the whistle with more or less throttle, the sound you are hearing is your intake.

Does your gas cap open up easy? Try buying a new one and see if that fixes the problem. They are only a fewbucks from.the dealership.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by lynks
I am assuming the whistle your hearing is just your intake. K&N intake? Try getting on the gas and listen to the whistle, if you can control the whistle with more or less throttle, the sound you are hearing is your intake.

Does your gas cap open up easy? Try buying a new one and see if that fixes the problem. They are only a fewbucks from.the dealership.
The gas cap is definitely not the issue. I've gone through the thing and cleaned it good and it seals as it should.

I have the Injen intake. I will definitely try taking a look at that. The dealership did an engine swap for me 6 months ago, and the whistle started when they did that. I wouldn't doubt if it's the intake then.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hook up a vacuum gauge to it to see if you have a leak some where put a vacuum tee-fitting off the brake booster vacuum line

http://freeasestudyguides.com/engine-vacuum-test.html
Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you figure this out?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:57 PM

I tried adjusting the cold air intake, and made sure that was securely on there, but that didn't fix the problem. Going to have to locate a vacuum leak tester.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Having the same problem...Had it looked at yesterday and was told that the tube assembly which is located somewhere around the gas tank and gas cap was causing the problem. Cost to fix $450.00
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Diamondkaye
Having the same problem...Had it looked at yesterday and was told that the tube assembly which is located somewhere around the gas tank and gas cap was causing the problem. Cost to fix $450.00
But was your noise coming from the engine bay? It's been way to cold to work on my car in MN, but I'm pretty convinced this is the vacuum switch valve.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM

I really don't think a vacuum leak will cause a whistling noise. Your vacuum is lowest at higher throttle settings. And you need to look at the lines from the gas tank to the engine (not the fuel lines, the vac lines).

The old method was to shoot starter fluid at the vac hoses until the engine revved.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:34 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on my old car i had a vacuum leak right under the carburetor. took me a whole month and a half to find it. turned out i set the gasket wrong...

totally off topic
Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM

Thread revival:

I found a solution to my check engine light, so I wanted to post up just in case others search for this issue.

I bought a new vacuum valve switch off eBay for $25, installed it, and it did make the check engine light go away. The whistling noise is still happening, but it's far less extreme now. As long as the light is off, I don't think I'm doing any harm.