Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Car Care (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid & Transmission Fluid (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/power-steering-fluid-transmission-fluid-153657/)

7thgear 01-04-2009 05:42 AM

Power Steering Fluid & Transmission Fluid

hey guys,

i went to get my oil change a few days ago (normally i would do it at home, but it's been snowing and really cold lately so i figured i just take it to a shop and have them do it just this time.) well at the same time, they told me my power steering fluid should be a pink color but it's not. it's a brown color and they recommend that i change it. is that true? my car has 45k miles on it. do i really need a flush at this time or are they trying to cheat me out of some money? and isn't the power steering fluid suppose to be blue?

and when is the recommended time change for transmission fluid? they said i need to change that too....??? i just changed it when i was at 20k miles.

Metro273 01-04-2009 05:49 AM

P/S fluid is red in color, not blue!

What they are trying to sell you is just preventative maintenance for your car.

It's like taking vitamins, eating healthy or taking a shower, you don't have to do it but you should do it to prevent any future problems... :P

05TXFM 01-15-2009 01:31 AM

Toyota power steering fluid is not red or blue, its like a light yellow almost the color of brake fluid.
The power steering fluid of the tcs does tend to get dirty quicker than most car.

Metro273 01-15-2009 01:40 AM

I did an oil change on a used car tC we sold at my dealership and I swear that the P/S fluid was blue?

XD40tC 01-15-2009 01:51 AM

I know Pennzoil PS fluid is blue. It all depends on who makes it but yeah it shouldnt be brown or have a burnt smell to it otherwise it needs to be flushed. As far as the tranny I think thats a little early especially if its been done at 20k already.

FlintMicatC05 03-27-2009 04:12 PM

I have never had my tranny flushed and I have 80k plus on my 05 tc...think I should do something about it....

jct 03-27-2009 11:49 PM

don't flush the tranny it'll help ruin your tranny many miles down the road just

drain and replace the fuilds

1989menace 03-27-2009 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by FlintMicatC05
I have never had my tranny flushed and I have 80k plus on my 05 tc...think I should do something about it....

yes! i changed mine at 15k to synthetic royal purple. i was getting my tranny upgraded as well tho thats why. however the mechanic told me thet my tranny fluid can use some replacing anyway cuz it was really dirty so i did it

bluenlams 06-19-2009 06:23 AM

Say, how much is the cost for power steering flush at the dealership? I'm at 61k for an 06' and never had the p/s changed.

Bulgdoom 07-19-2009 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by jct
don't flush the tranny it'll help ruin your tranny many miles down the road just

drain and replace the fuilds

Why would it ruin the tranny? and what is the difference between a flush and a drain and replace? I thought it was the same.

For the power steering would this be the same? a flush vs a drain and replace?

jct 07-19-2009 04:48 AM

flush will just move contaminants from one point to another and its a waste of money thats the shops just want your money on services that you don't need

bB384 07-19-2009 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by jct
flush will just move contaminants from one point to another and its a waste of money thats the shops just want your money on services that you don't need

...but if you take it to a reputable shop that does honest work they will use the machene that properly flushes it out of the system and will remove the contaniments out of the system. If anyone else tells you otherwise they are just simply paranoid and lack the proper education on how to properly service a transmission.