Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Car Care (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/)
-   -   Warning!.. Don't use Brasso on Rims!!! (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/maintenance-car-care-1604/warning-dont-use-brasso-rims-237386/)

scubatC 05-31-2009 11:01 PM

Warning!.. Don't use Brasso on Rims!!!

I wanted to polish up my stock tC rims a little bit and had some Brasso polish left over that i used for polishing my valve cover. The polish says it works on aluminum, stainless, brass...... so on and so on. Luckily I was smart and used it on a very small section of my rim first to see how it would work.
After polishing for about 1 minute by hand with not much force it started turn my rim Black. I got a wet rag and tried wiping it off, didn't get any worse or better. Its still a gloss black so it might be good if you have a lot of time on your hands and want a cheap way of making your stock rims Gloss Black.

BUT DON'T USE FOR POLISHING!!!!!

Brasso worked awesome on my valve cover giving it an almost mirror finish but was eating my rim color away. I actually kind of like the look of the black it left so I might wait a little while to see what happens to that area and might end up doing all rims with it.
Let me know what you think.

_______

jct 05-31-2009 11:08 PM

now thats funny

Jtc 05-31-2009 11:12 PM

Pics?

SCIONOSIS 05-31-2009 11:15 PM

KEEP IN MIND...
If anyone wanted their stock wheels gloss black, just use BRASSO. :rofl:

scubatC 05-31-2009 11:23 PM

.... I know friggen awesome huh lol stupid brasso

BZinn1 05-31-2009 11:46 PM

Um your rims are clear coated paint where it is shiney metal......like nearly every rim is made that way..........used metal polish on paint is not gonna work well for you there.....

scubatC 06-01-2009 12:00 AM

Yeah i wasnt sure what would happen I didnt expect it give my rims a mirror finish or chrome look just polish them up some. I figured i might as well try it before i went and bought some rim cleaner. This is why i tried it on a very small section first. Oh well just another reason my girlfriend cant get mad at me for buying new rims!

O5_TRD_tC 06-01-2009 01:09 AM

I didnt know u could polish paint.

SavedByZero 06-01-2009 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by O5_TRD_tC
I didnt know u could polish paint.

Clearly all the known laws of metallurgy are different in the state of Missouri.

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/...kittydance.gif

BZinn1 06-01-2009 04:27 AM

Having been to Missouri........I would have to agree.........lol........try some clay bar to pull out the polish burn,then some scratchX,then repolish and wax......should be good to go,my kid did the same to my rims with metal polish,it came out with clay bar and scratchX

Dilirious 06-01-2009 04:29 AM

scuba could you post a pic of it cuz if its gloss black sounds like my type of color.
haha

scubatC 06-01-2009 12:50 PM

Yeah ill try to take some pictures tonight after i get off of work and post them but like i said it was on a very small part so it might be hard to see. And i know i know stupid on my part i didn't think about the paint or clear coat. But hey at least others are learning from my mistake now. And gives you something to laugh at! lol

BZinn1 06-02-2009 01:58 AM

ok we will laugh at you now........jk.......like I said my son did it to the entire rim before I noticed,they were like 3 weeks old.........pretty sure I puked on the spot.......lol

Dilirious 06-02-2009 02:30 AM

When you guys did it was it permanent or does it eventually go away?

captainlaziness 06-02-2009 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Having been to Missouri........I would have to agree.........lol........try some clay bar to pull out the polish burn,then some scratchX,then repolish (not with Brasso!) and wax......should be good to go,my kid did the same to my rims with metal polish,it came out with clay bar and scratchX

Fixed!

puddlestc 06-02-2009 02:33 AM

if it doesn't go away then that's the easiest way to re-color rims haha

Jlowe 06-02-2009 02:36 AM

would this be an easier way than sanding?
Since it's taking off the clear+paint? then you just repaint your own color.

BZinn1 06-02-2009 02:44 AM

It is actually not taking off the clear,more like it is staining it, the solvents in Brasso, MR. Metal,and a few others are chemical based to etch the surface then the polish works on the new etched surface.
Closest it can be compared to is wood stain to the paint but it can be worked out cause the clear is pretty tough stuff on rims.

shoopajae 06-02-2009 06:23 AM

if you f*** up your wheels, you can always buy mine! =)

puddlestc 06-02-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by BZinn1
it is actually not taking off the clear,more like it is staining it, the solvents in Brasso,MR. Metal,and a few others are chemical based to etch the surface then the polish works on the new etched surface,so it acts like a,well closest it can be compared to is wood stain to the paint.........but it can be worked out cause the clear is pretty tough stuff on rims.

would it be hard to work out the stain? I might just use some baseboard remover to eat away at the clear coat on the rims since i can get it free at work lol.