Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

xB oil change DIY

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boomshaker
While we're on the subject I always heard K&N air filters were good. Actually I was gonna buy a K&N air filter this friday and slap it on there to make my tune up complete. And you're saying they are not that good?
Define "good".

K&N air filters do allow more air through, but it is less filtered air when compared to paper filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
While we're on the subject I always heard K&N air filters were good. Actually I was gonna buy a K&N air filter this friday and slap it on there to make my tune up complete. And you're saying they are not that good?
Define "good".

K&N air filters do allow more air through, but it is less filtered air when compared to paper filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

I really have no defenition for the word "good" seeing as how I am now staring to do my own work to my XB and XA's. I guess good as in better then most other filters. So I can just doing regular air filter changes with any old filter will do as long as it stays clean? I would rather preferr to get something at my local pep boys. I have one 2 blocks from my house and makes it very convenient.

Would a Purilator do as long as it's clean? I don't race my car or drive it hard. Just everyday work driving in the city.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.. I guess good as in better then most other filters. .
See the link provided. Short answer is no.

.. So I can just doing regular air filter changes with any old filter will do as long as it stays clean? .
I dont understand what you are trying to say there.

.. I would rather preferr to get something at my local pep boys. I have one 2 blocks from my house and makes it very convenient. .
Pepboys sells Purilator filters. Cheap and easy.

..I don't race my car or drive it hard. Just everyday work driving in the city.
Even more reason NOT to go with a washable filter.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

.. I guess good as in better then most other filters. .
See the link provided. Short answer is no.

.. So I can just doing regular air filter changes with any old filter will do as long as it stays clean? .
I dont understand what you are trying to say there.

.. I would rather preferr to get something at my local pep boys. I have one 2 blocks from my house and makes it very convenient. .
Pepboys sells Purilator filters. Cheap and easy.

..I don't race my car or drive it hard. Just everyday work driving in the city.
Even more reason NOT to go with a washable filter.

The link you gave me was very easy to understand, Thank you. And my thoughts like yours were to simply use something cheap and easy to install. I was gonna change the air filter along with the oil and oil filter. Since Purilator is cheap it won't set me back to much to toss one in along with every oil change. What would be more costly would be to not do it and screw my engine up in the long run. Thanks again my friend!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The link you gave me was very easy to understand, Thank you. And my thoughts like yours were to simply use something cheap and easy to install. I was gonna change the air filter along with the oil and oil filter. Since Purilator is cheap it won't set me back to much to toss one in along with every oil change. What would be more costly would be to not do it and screw my engine up in the long run. Thanks again my friend!
Great...glad you got some use out of the link. Heres another that has the other 3 parts of the filtration test:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

... Since Purilator is cheap it won't set me back to much to toss one in along with every oil change. What would be more costly would be to not do it and screw my engine up in the long run. Thanks again my friend!
Air filter change intervals are a bit hard to pin down since driving conditions vary so much. I change mine once per year and honestly, I could get away with changing it every 1.5 to 2 years. I think changing it every oil change is a bit too much, assuming a 3 or 6 month OCI, but thats me. The important part is that you do change it.

Na Zdrowie!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great...glad you got some use out of the link. Heres another that has the other 3 parts of the filtration test:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

... Since Purilator is cheap it won't set me back to much to toss one in along with every oil change. What would be more costly would be to not do it and screw my engine up in the long run. Thanks again my friend!
Air filter change intervals are a bit hard to pin down since driving conditions vary so much. I change mine once per year and honestly, I could get away with changing it every 1.5 to 2 years. I think changing it every oil change is a bit too much, assuming a 3 or 6 month OCI, but thats me. The important part is that you do change it.

Na Zdrowie!

AWESOME, thank you again my friend!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I realize this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd at least let the contributors know that it is still helping people. I've been changing oil in cars without referencing instructions for over 30 years, but lately I've been searching out threads or videos on all repairs I make no matter how easy the repair might seem. Good thing I did so this time because I probably wouldn't have thought to pull down that plastic shroud if I had not read it here. I had pulled one wheel up on wood blocks to give me a bit more room. Everything was going great, even the oil filter was cooperating (it was just finger tight). Then I realized that I still couldn't get under the car far enough to see where the new filter went. I could have probably just installed it blind, but then I remembered about the shroud. On my '05 it separates in the middle and is held in place with a 10mm nut. Took that off along with the two 10mm bolts on each side of it. Just like the OP said, it dropped right down giving me easy access to install the new filter. I'll do this every time from now on. Its that easy.

The OP said to fill the new filter with oil before installing it. I did that just because it seemed easy to do. What a mess. I think I'll see if that is really necessary even though I'm sure I would make less of a mess next time.

Two additional tips:

1. Expect a mess no matter how skilled/careful you become. I always drive the car onto a plastic tarp before changing the oil. Doing this has saved my butt countless times.

2. Invest in a fumoto valve. Here is the one for my xB: http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f-10...e-p-16147.html I just odered mine. No more messy fingers or trying to find the washer in the oil pan.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by bearsnob
I realize this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd at least let the contributors know that it is still helping people. I've been changing oil in cars without referencing instructions for over 30 years, but lately I've been searching out threads or videos on all repairs I make no matter how easy the repair might seem. Good thing I did so this time because I probably wouldn't have thought to pull down that plastic shroud if I had not read it here. I had pulled one wheel up on wood blocks to give me a bit more room. Everything was going great, even the oil filter was cooperating (it was just finger tight). Then I realized that I still couldn't get under the car far enough to see where the new filter went. I could have probably just installed it blind, but then I remembered about the shroud. On my '05 it separates in the middle and is held in place with a 10mm nut. Took that off along with the two 10mm bolts on each side of it. Just like the OP said, it dropped right down giving me easy access to install the new filter. I'll do this every time from now on. Its that easy.

The OP said to fill the new filter with oil before installing it. I did that just because it seemed easy to do. What a mess. I think I'll see if that is really necessary even though I'm sure I would make less of a mess next time.

Two additional tips:

1. Expect a mess no matter how skilled/careful you become. I always drive the car onto a plastic tarp before changing the oil. Doing this has saved my butt countless times.

2. Invest in a fumoto valve. Here is the one for my xB: http://www.qwikvalve.com/fumoto-f-10...e-p-16147.html I just odered mine. No more messy fingers or trying to find the washer in the oil pan.

You'll get better over time. As far as the mess, I disagree greatly. I've done it so many times that I don't even spill a single drop of oil (old oil or new oil).

Tips:

- when removing old oil filter, use a zip lock bag or grocery bag lined with paper towels. Unscrew the filter and let the old oil from the filter catch in the ziplock/bag.

- for prefilling the new oil filter, fill it about 3/4 of the way.

Ive heard the fumito valve doesn't get all the oil out and leaves more in the pan than normal.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only mess i make is when i'm draining the oil in the catch pan to the container i'm putting it in... then again we always have oil dry in the garage at all times... now that is a
Old 12-21-2012, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion XB oil change

I decided to DIY my Xb oil change today and it went off pretty much as expected. I did all this at an auto shop so I had access to a two-post lift and all the tools I needed. I brought my own oil Pennzoil 5w30 and Fram oil filter. I did loosen the screws on the shroud to give me more access to the filter. I took my time as I am rusty(need more oil lol), a guy drove up next to my stall in a new Hyundai Elantra and DIY'd his oil change in half the time it took me. I only used 3 1/2 quarts so I will be checking my dipstick way more often than usual.

Auto shop only charged me $6 for using their stall and tools!

My top five from this DIY are 1. Do it at an auto shop with a lift 2. The longer you let the car cool, the better. 3. Bring your own oil/filter. 4. Make sure you have spare washers. 5. Don't rush it, bond with your Xb!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member

Default RedneckwithanxB bug gurad?

RedneckwithanxB
What bug guard is that?