Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Awesome Unknown Movies

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Awesome Unknown Movies

Do you know a movie thats bloody awesome but may not be known to other people? If you do post it here! I wanna see a good moive thats not widly known or kinda underground.

Ill start!

Equilibrium-2002

In a futuristic world, a strict regime has eliminated war by suppressing emotions: books, art and music are strictly forbidden and feeling is a crime punishable by death.

This movie in my opnion pwned the matrix! It was released in the theaters world wide but was not here in the states it went strait to dvd. It did awsome world wide they supposdly felt the sales were good enough to where they didnt have to realease here in the theaters! (bastardos!) If you seen Ultraviolet go watch this you will see where it got alot of its action scenes from.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have to vouch for this movie! I love Christian Bale and the movie is awsome!! One of my favorites that not many people have seen would have to be Donnie Darko.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Awesome Unknown moives.

Originally Posted by peteyd
Do you know a movie thats bloody awesome but may not be known to other people? If you do post it here! I wanna see a good moive thats not widly known or kinda underground..
Bloody Sunday - Documentary about the events that divide the British and Irish in 1974.....A++++

Muholland Drive - Tells the truth as to what hollywood is all about...total mind fu*k!

Dead Alive - Is it a horror movie or is it a comedy? I say a perfect mix of both. Dark humor

The Weather Underground - Documentary on the radical political activist group the Weathermen, who organized in the 1960s to protest the Vietnam War.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Awesome Unknown moives.

Originally Posted by peteyd
It was released in the theaters world wide but was not here in the states it went strait to dvd.
I guess they played it around NorCal because I saw this movie in the theaters! Then, I waited forever for it to come out on DVD.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than the Matrix. The story is nothing original (it's basically 1984), but the action scenes were pretty awesome. Seems like this movie was Bale's audition for Batman! I do agree it was really underrated....I really was surprised it wasn't more popular.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
SL Member

The Undertaker and His Pals...I liked it only because itw as a B screen movie filmed in the neighborhood my dad used to live in and it was more fun to make fun of than actually watch.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two Lane Blacktop.
I want to say it was out in the 80's, a couple guys running across country to get to a big race; in a 55 Chevy. Very subdued acting ( James Taylor was in it I believe ), but when the car was the star of a scene--much more realisitic car drag runs then usually glorified in movies. Kind of an old school car movie.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Okay here is one that i think was awesome.....Everytime i ask people about it noone seems to know about it or even heard about it....so i figure that this could fit....if you have seen it please tell me what you think and if you havent go see it NOW!!!

Requiem for a Dream

Old 03-21-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ong Bak (Thai Warrior)- Action movie filmed in Thailand with badass stunts (no wire work), notable since most of the fight scenes have the actors actually hitting each other, and HARD

Versus- Insane horror/action film directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, great sword fights/action scenes

Battle Royale- A class of Japanese high school students is randomly selected by lottery to be taken to remote island where they must fight to the death, until only one survivor is left.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fsu1dolfan
Okay here is one that i think was awesome.....Everytime i ask people about it noone seems to know about it or even heard about it....so i figure that this could fit....if you have seen it please tell me what you think and if you havent go see it NOW!!!

Requiem for a Dream
Good Movie...directed by Aronofsky! Probably even less known than RFAD, is the movie he directed before that:

Pi

Old 03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^^^ Yeah i havent seen it but i have been told to see it!!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OLD BOY!

Korean

Oh Dae-Su is an ordinary Seoul businessman with a wife and little daughter. After a drunken night on the town, he is abducted and locked up in a strange, private prison. No one will tell him why he's there nor who his jailer is. His fury builds to a single-minded focus revenge. 15 years later, he is unexpectedly freed, given a new suit, a cell phone and 5 days to unravel the mystery and discover the identity of the enemy who had him imprisoned. Seeking vengeance on all those involved, he soon finds that his enemy's tortures are just beginning.

There have been reviews I've read about saying "crappy fight scenes" and whatnot. Keep in mind this movie is meant to be realistic. Don't expect to see Jackie Chan or Jet Li martial arts here.

This has to be one of my favorite Psychotic-thrillers. Let me know what you thing.

P.S. make sure you get subtitles.

*EDIT*

almost forgot...I've heard rumors of hollywood buying the script and remaking this movie with Brad Pit and Johnny Depp. I'm highly anticipating this remake.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Akira Kurosawa's Ran.

One of the most harrowing film experience I've ever had. So goddamn depressing and sad.

I'll also have to vouch for RFAD and Pi. Darren Aronofsky is one of my favorite directors and I can't wait to see his upcoming work, The Fountain, which is currently in post-production. http://movies.apple.com/movies/wb/th...-tsr_h.640.mov Looks awesome.

Darren Aronofsky and Matthew Libatique is one of the best director/cinematographer duo I have ever seen/known of.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't have an image for the poster, but The Salton Sea with Val Kilmer is a winner
Old 03-21-2006, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="Tito_Cruz"]OLD BOY!

Korean

Oh Dae-Su is an ordinary Seoul businessman with a wife and little daughter. After a drunken night on the town, he is abducted and locked up in a strange, private prison. No one will tell him why he's there nor who his jailer is. His fury builds to a single-minded focus revenge. 15 years later, he is unexpectedly freed, given a new suit, a cell phone and 5 days to unravel the mystery and discover the identity of the enemy who had him imprisoned. Seeking vengeance on all those involved, he soon finds that his enemy's tortures are just beginning.

quote]

Can you say "Count of monte carlo" in korean? I just got done reading the actual book and the plot of this film is pretty dead on to the counte....could just be me though....
Old 03-21-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Skunk
Battle Royale- A class of Japanese high school students is randomly selected by lottery to be taken to remote island where they must fight to the death, until only one survivor is left.
^^ Thats a FU*** up movie! thats all i can say about that one!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ran is a classic!

One of my favorite movies that no one seems to know is Amelie. Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet who also directed Delicatessen and City of Lost Children. He has a really easy to recognize style...Kinda like the french Tim Burton. A good date movie ;)

Amelie

Old 03-21-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amelie was crazy. That chick is getting ready to do another movie i think by him as well.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How about some love for Glengarry Glen Ross?

Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know they already did another movie together called A very Long Engagement. It's another love story set in Paris, but this time back during the Great War. Pretty good, but kinda long and confusing.

Has anyone seen Run Lola, Run? Not obscure at all, but that was a cool flick...

For the dudes who recommended the Asian movies: where do you find out what's good? where do you rent them from? I'm not up on the latest cool movies, but I read GIANT ROBOT magazine for a bunch of good recommendations
Old 03-21-2006, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the star of amelie is in "da vinci code'' by D Brown

assuming it see theatres...im sure D Brown will win the lawsuit...he does push ups while writing books...keeps his mind clear he said...lol

Quick Reply: Awesome Unknown Movies