Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Cop made me take off my Tint! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cop made me take off my Tint! Help!

OK, well I'm driving down the street see a State Trooper he's going like 30 in a 45 so I go 40 and come up next to him he looks at me and gets right behind me and pulls me over .
He checks my tint with the lil machine and gets 18% I bought 20% and they have been real faded and you can easily see in to the car. Then he tells me he's gonna give me a ticket I was like OK, what can I do?
Then he tells me to scrape off my tint I tell him no I'm not going to do that because it will mess up my window, then he says if you do not remove you tint right now he will take me to jail and tow my car.

I tell him he cant do that and I'm going to call my lawyer which I thought would scare him but he just said by the time you do that your car will be gone and he proceeded to to call the tow company.
I ask him what is he going to arrest me for tints he said no failure to obey a police officer, I said if you told me to run around the street naked and I said no would you arrest me for that he looked at at me like I made no sense.
So I have no choice I start pulling my tint off and when i finish he gives me an 87 dollar ticket and laughs at me.

Now my windows wont go down because of the sticky residue.
My impression was that it was a fix it ticket and all they could do is give me another ticket..

Should I fight this or just deal with it..... BTW I'm in Florida

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-03-2019 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-23-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

First, file a complaint agaist him. Then. Go to court, and fight it. Explain what he did. In detail. If he tries to lie at all, he is in trouble and the case is dropped. All Ive ever heard is someone getting a fix it ticket or just a warning. But I am in Washington.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off this trooper was an a-hole, this is only a fix-it-ticket! If you do not remove the tint he was going to arrest you. This trooper must of been on drugs or he was new. I would fight this for everything it is worth. I am sure there is more to this story but we will leave it at that.

John
Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow...you got messed with BIG TIME. Believe me, he wasn't going to arrest you and take you in to be booked over window tint. There is no freaking way he wanted to do all of that paper work. Not to mention they just don't arrest for that! He knew he could bully you into taking it off right then, and you did.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cop wouldn't of been able to harass you if he was knocked out dead on the floor. Keep that in mind next time some douche of a cop pulls that kind of crap. =D
Old 10-23-2006, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish there was more to the story but there is not.

also i have gotten 3 tickets in my life and this a hole has been the cop each time.

1st time it was for my tint before school about 2 years ago he threatend to arrest me then to for not knowing what my registartion looked like and also it was the second day i got my window tint put on and he got mad because i couldent put my window down. he held me and my friend for 1 hour yelling at me about how im an _______ and how all the kids that go to my school are asholes.

second time he towed my car at a party out of 100's of cars because my back tire was on the road 2 inches.

and now this time he says he doesnt remember me every time.

i just talked to my friends dad which is a very high ranked cop and said that it doesnt say in the rules that he can ask me to take off my tint but saying that he will arrest me for it is way accros the line and i should take him to court.

well no i have two windows that wont go down due tot he residue and a 87 $ ticket.

picture time ! cops arent all bad but this guy thinks he is way to powerfull to be on the street telling people what to do .
Old 10-23-2006, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first, put some soapy water in a spray bottle, you can use a small amoutn to dish soap. spray the window and scrape it with a razor blade. DO NOT use a checmical, that just makes a bigger mess.

Next, file a complaint against this guy and I would even try to get them to pay for new tint, albeit legal tint.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, that is such Bullsh*t. Go to court and fight it. That bastard deserves something if hes abusing his powers like that.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

whats the law in FL for tint??
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd really like to hear the outcome of this one. It gets me ____ed to hear stories like this. I really dislike some of the cops out there...I'm sure there are some good cops but I haven't met one yet.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:46 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

we have a certain a-hole cop that's around the bay area... pretty much everyone knows his name.

what he did and what he said is wrong and you should file a complaint. that was completely harrassment and you shouldn't have dealt with that.

good luck
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good thing your not a girl! Who knows what he would have asked you to do.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok seriously... He's a douche cop... You will og to court and he will win. Stating that you were resisting and disobeying an officer and he will win. Know the laws, know your rights, and most importantly... Always have a video camera or whitnesses.

THEN you can bring his smart ___ down.

But yeah, things like this make me hate cops even more. Especially the one who killed one of my buddies friends because the cop was drunk and ran a red light. I've also almost been hit by a cop running a red light... WITH NO SIRENS OR LIGHTS ON!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn bro thast sucks. u need to learn ur rights though bro
Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dang, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I'm glad that were I live, tint is not inforced here. I got 20% tint and a full face tint on my windsheild. In fact, some officers here have full face tint on their own POV's.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now I understand your frustration and that cop does seem like an a-hole but I also understand where he/she is coming from.

Cops get shot and killed because they can't see inside a vehicle and someone has a weapon. There are tint laws in Florida for a reason, so everyone including the driver can be safe.

Like I said, the cop sounded like a complete a-hole but in the end, if your tint is to dark - your asking for some cop to be an a-hole cause its illegal.

I see way to many vehicles in this state w/ limo tint and I will say, if you get pulled over/ticketed, you deserve it cause your not following the written law.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a witness my friend was in the car with me.. you could see my tint so easily it said 18% but i bought 20 and i hav had it on for like 2 yrs and its so faded i think that machine is wrong..

im going to file a complain and take it to court. its the second time this same cop has old me he would arrest me for tints screw this guy!
Old 10-24-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What I saw from Llumar is that 28% is what is legal for front side windows in Florida. As far as your 20% registering an 18, This can easily happen, do you by chance know what brand film it is? My 20% registered as 26 in Arizona because it is Llumar, and is a little bit lighter. Their 35% on the other hand is slightly darker than some others.

Now, here in New Mexico, If you get pulled over with too dark of tint, they can make you strip it, if your eyebrow is too low, they can make you strip it, and if your whole windshield is tinted they can make you strip it, and then arrest you. I beleive for some kind of endangerment. Which if you think about it, doesnt that mean that people cant wear sunglasses while driving?

Anyways, the tint laws are a set of laws, but are enforced differently from state to state, and from officer to officer. This officer did handle the situation in an incorrect manner, but also consider this, he pulled you over for your film before, and didnt make you strip it, he remembers you I dont care what he says, every officer I know has a mind like a steel trap for repeat offenders, and was most likely getting some revenge for telling you to do something, and you not complying. In an officers world, compliance is their #1 priority. If one doesnt comply with the laws, they must make them comply, after all, its part of their job.

Overall, I say fight it, and see what happens. The only problem is, it is an 18 year olds word against a cop. your chance is low, but good luck with it.

Window Tint for Life!!

Old 10-24-2006, 02:16 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The reason sunglasses are different is because it isnt the safety of having dark tint that caused the law.
Its all about COP safety. It started years ago when I was in highschool and a cop pulled someone over and the person had dark tint. The guy wasnt pulled over for the tint. But the guy was sitting with the windows closed and a gun behind the window as the cop walked up. Cop couldnt see the gun, the guy shot the cop.
So they made the laws so that cops are able to look into the car.
And while the cop was pretty much a D!ck to you, the guy above is right, he did pull you over before, and you did knowingly and willingly disobey his authority and the law. Doesnt make his actions right, but you knew this when you got the tint.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was expecting a "Pity me because I got busted with illegal tint" story...but damn! that cop was a total dick!

You should have just driven off

Quick Reply: Cop made me take off my Tint! Help!