Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Got my first Modified Exhaust ticket VC2715..Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got my first Modified Exhaust ticket VC2715..Need Help

Just want to let everyone know that i have used the Search button but have not received the information I was looking for and for the guys who live in other States..Yeah, I know Cali sucks for tuners lols..anyways as the post says I got my first ticket and I need some advice on what to do. The ticket is for Modified Exhaust (correctable) but as I read the violation it also states it could be due to excessive noise. how much is it to pay off the ticket? if I switched out my exhaust for the Megan Axelback (the one that looks like stock, heard it is super quite) and have it checked will they sign off my ticket? I have an aftermarket Midpipe and S-pipe and I don't have OEM parts anymore which is why I'm hesitant to even have it checked because they might notice that.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

try to always keep the stock parts so you can swap them on especially in a State that is so hard on stupid stuff like that, Washington is starting to get that bad too.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Hope this helps:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=219898
Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see if u can borrow someones stock exhaust and go show them u fixed it.. then go back to yours
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just got one 2 weeks ago and just received the ticket in the mail.
its $256 without correction and $25 with correction
well thats what mine says at least
Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KINGxOFxSKA
Read this already I heard the referee stations are closed now and won't be opening anytime soon besides I mentioned that i have an aftermarket mid pipe so that means I would fail the inspection at the Referee if it was still around.

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Try to always keep the stock parts so you can swap them on especially in a State that is so hard on stupid stuff like that,Washington is starting to get that bad too.
Too late for that..Wish I had

Originally Posted by dubberatheart
just got one 2 weeks ago and just received the ticket in the mail.
its $256 without correction and $25 with correction
well that's what mine says at least
Thanks for the info I was looking for! hmm it seems like getting the Megan exhaust is going to be a little cheaper (bout $10) but I don't know how they will test it out. If its through a decibel meter only without inspecting anything
at the Sheriffs department or CHP then I would be alright with that but a friend of mine said that they might check underneath the car and inspect the piping as well...then I'm pretty much screwed.

What you guys think?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend went with a Megan Racing drift spec catback.. he put on the silencer it came with and went to the Ref. they did a sniffer test + decibel test. he said he barely passed with the silencer on.

I should be going to the State Referee as soon as I put my stock headers + intake on. I should pass since I have the same exhaust my friend went with + I'm going to the same Ref.
but I'll keep ya posted on if they say any nonsense about piping or anything like that
Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow, is Cali really that strict about exhaust noise? I thought it was bad in PA but you guys really have me beat

Sorry to hear about the law enforcement troubles your having
Old 02-21-2009, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm glad I live in Utah.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my friend went with a megan racing drift spec catback.. he put on the silencer it came with and went to the ref. they did a sniffer test + decibel test. he said he barely passed with the silencer on.

i should be going to the state referee as soon as i put my stock headers + intake on. I should pass since i have the same exhaust my friend went with + im going to the same ref. but i'll keep ya posted on if they say any nonsense about piping or anything like that

I heard the Refs closed due to budget cuts (California's debt) so they opened up again? Well the cop that pulled me over just told me if i wanted to have my ticket signed off and avoid paying the fine i should just go to any CHP or Sheriffs department and have them check and sign it off.
He didn't even mention about the State Refs. I'm still waiting for my ticket to be processed because when I check on the website and even called them up they have no record of my ticket. Guess I have to wait 21 days for it to show up
Old 02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Ref were closed but they opened again, just go to the ref and do a DB test and all that jazz, you'll be fine if your exhaust is under 96.5 db
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HclBr
The Ref were closed but they opened again, just go to the ref and do a DB test and all that jazz, you'll be fine if your exhaust is under 96.5 db
but i don't have my stock parts i have an aftermarket mid pipe and S-pipe plus SRI intake..
Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm.. I was told I have to go have it signed off by CHP or Sheriff after I get a sticker from the Ref which I have to put on the back of the ticket. Not sure how they would test your car or whatever by just going to CHP or Sheriff office.

If you did have to go to a Ref though you would definitely need to change your SRI. Intake + no CARB sticker = Automatic Fail
Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm.. i was told i have to go have it signed off by CHP or Sheriff after i get a sticker from the ref which i have to put on the back of the ticket. not sure how they would test your car or whatever by just going to CHP or Sheriff office. if you did have to go to a ref though you would definitely need to change your SRI. Intake + no CARB sticker = Automatic Fail
my friend has been through the process before and some cops just look at the tip of the muffler if it looks stock then they sign it off...but some of them actually look underneath the car and see if the piping is stock as well.
Which I was afraid of because they might right me a ticket for deleting a catalytic converter on the mid pipe then that would be a non correctable...I'm thinking of just paying off the fine and getting a stock looking aftermarket exhaust
Old 02-23-2009, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best way you can get away with this is to get a TRD axleback and maybe catback. The reason y I'm saying this is because Toyota has a contract with TRD so they install TRD parts on Toyota and Scion cars.
They are legal in CA as far as I know. I would get a used TRD axleback. I've seen some people selling them on this site so try contacting them. gud luk man.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Ref will definitely tell you to take it back and fix your exhaust. I went through this similar situation with my TRD exhaust and I was like .0 something away from the decibel limit but even if you switch your exhaust I highly doubt you will pass.
The Ref will also open up they are open on weekdays until like 4. Good luck trying to get a hold of them.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been trying to find out how much the ticket is through the online service they have and calling them up..and so far no record of my ticket has been found!!! i wonder if they forgot to file it or what? what happens if no info shows up till the date that is listed on my ticket for me to show up in court? does that mean i don't need to go? and i don't need to pay a fine because its not on my record???
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long ago did you get it?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how long ago did you get it?
exactly 21 days...from what the website and phone number said this is the amount of days it should take to get into the system but still nothing...

so does my ticket need to be paid if there is no record of it? anybody else experience this? well the policeman who pulled me over seemed to be a rookie..he even forgot to give me the ticket if i hadn't told him i needed a copy..so maybe he just forgot or something?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

checked the website again...still no record under my driver's license or any info on my ticket citation number...what could be going on???

Quick Reply: Got my first Modified Exhaust ticket VC2715..Need Help