Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Has Toyota's Quality Slipped?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Has Toyota's Quality Slipped?

Curious if anyone has noticed that the Toyota Brand, Lexus, and Scion car quality has slipped a bit..

I have had Toyota's ranging from 1985 - 2013 models, i have yet to see a Toyota made after 2007 that retains the high quality interior materials, or the solid feeling doors.

Last edited by TheManinDboX; 10-09-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Here is the latest issues: 2013 Scion XB.
The plastic skid plate has fallen off twice
The Ball joints have been replaced on the drivers side, both upper and lower, i have 13K miles. The dashboard is separating from where the stereo bezel and the dash connect. I have to man handle the deck back into place at least once a week.

Previous Issues:
Never buy another new Toyota issues..
Purchased a 2012 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD for 47K dollars. Loaded, every option, figured i should get the lexus of van's if i was going to buy one.
The Van has a Technical service bulletin, i got 26K miles on mine before i traded it in on another car, since i refused to pay out of pocket for the issue, and toyota would only cover half the cost. NHTSB has over 36K complaints, but can't do anything till someone dies.. The issue is simply there is a structural issue with the van's body, that causes torque twist to occur and cause the sliding doors to not latch correctly, which shorts out the power door motors and thus causes the doors to periodically open themselves, which at 75MPH having a sliding door open itself causes a sail effect.. In the new body Sienna, if you disconnect the doors, you have to disconnect a secondary ECU and lose the ability to use the rear AC/Heat or defroster. Also the rear door locks and entertainment system stops working. When i went to toyota, i also called there California office and complained, they told me they would cover half the cost.. Total out of pocket for me was 8,500.. With a total of 16,985, which is the cost to fix the issue.. Replace the doors, the motors, the hinges, the sliders, the secondary ECU, all the wiring, and paint. On a vehicle mind you still under warranty. They indicated that i was driving it too hard and it caused the issue.
I lost nearly 15K dollars on the trade in, because unfortunately i have a soul, and didn't want to be responsible for some kid falling out of the car at 75MPH on a highway, so when i got rid of the van i had to warn about the structural defect.
Last Toyota i will ever buy new..

Mind you i owned a 99 Corolla with Epic miles never an issue..
05 XB was also bullet proof
99 Rav4 briefly.. bullet proof
91 Previa.. Bullet proof
85 Camry.. Bullet proof..
Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member

This story is a crock. There is no way that Toyota would force a customer to pay only half of a structural defect. Don't ask how I know that.....if you have documented evidence from TMS on this I'd love to see it.