Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

i-VTEC vs VVT-i vs VANOS vs others....

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default i-VTEC vs VVT-i vs VANOS vs others....

anyone knows which is the better technology?

anything special for each?

what are other manufacturers made up there own technology???
Old 08-24-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Vtec is probably the best cam technology I've seen. Two cam lobes works great.

VVTI can't even be compared. VVTI just changes timing, not lift. Vtech is amazing technology that every car should have.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member

vvti cuz the horse power kicks in at a lower rpm.....plus the v-tec engine has too many moving parts and its hella exspensive on the the timing chain, with vvti you get better fuel economy
Old 08-24-2004, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, they are two totally different systems. VTEC uses camshafts with dual profiles. so when you hit higher rpm, it clicks over to the other, better breathing camshaft. helps with gas mileage, high rpm power, and emissions. VVTI, has variable valve timing with intelligence, and since i don't have a lot of time right now, basically what that equates to is better overall power. from low rpm to redline. better driveablility. anyways, go to howstuffworks.com and check it out, its a pretty informative site.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how bout the SRT4... doesnt it have NOTHING???
Old 08-24-2004, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
how bout the SRT4... doesnt it have NOTHING???
yea nothing.... except a turbo, a strong block and internals and a hell of a lotta hp and torque
Old 08-24-2004, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya when i get my tc i think ill go ahead and get a vtec put on it. that should give it about 30-40whp once thats done ill get a turbo, that will add about 70 whp then ill get a blow off valve cause my friend says they give like an extra 20whp when you use them with a turbo. i might get the blow off valve before the turbo thogh just cause it makes that cool sound. by the time im done ill be running 11s all day long
Old 08-24-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Forevermore
ya when i get my tc i think ill go ahead and get a vtec put on it. that should give it about 30-40whp once thats done ill get a turbo, that will add about 70 whp then ill get a blow off valve cause my friend says they give like an extra 20whp when you use them with a turbo. i might get the blow off valve before the turbo thogh just cause it makes that cool sound. by the time im done ill be running 11s all day long
funniest thing iv read all night
Old 08-24-2004, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When looking at V-TEC you would compare it to VVTI-L. Most V-TEC systems work on both the intake & exhaust cams while VVTI is just the intake I think. Now the real V-TEC power was the B series engines. Build up one of those engines & put a turbo. I would love to drive a B18C5 with a turbo. Just taking it up to 8,100rpm. :twisted: Have a killer exhaust on that thing also just to scare the old ppl.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Acutally VVT-i works with both the intake and exhaust cams. VVTL-i (Celica GTS tech) controls both valve timing and lift, while VVT-i just controls timing. I'm not sure if VTEC controls lift so I can't say for sure which is the better system.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:40 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution

Default How much of a difference.....

in power and economy is there between the VVTi and the VVTLi. If it would be a worthwhile transition to migrate to a VVTLi for higher end power could it be accomplished without as much hassel they're used in similar models of the same line... (i.e. corrollas use the VVTi standard but use the VVTLi in the XRS model along with a 6 spd transmission )
Old 08-24-2004, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's a link that explains variable valve timing and compares the differences between vvt-i, vvtl-i, vtec, i-vtec and vanos.

http://www.geocities.com/gkurka2001/CarTech/vvt_1.htm

what a lot of people don't know is that variable valve timing was not invented by honda but toyota and gm in the early 70's. honda was the first automaker that used it in production cars.

http://www.aatap.com/
Old 08-24-2004, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tcwannab
Yes, I have to agree. Comedy Gold. You sir, are teh funnay.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tcwannab wrote:
Forevermore wrote:

Yes, I have to agree. Comedy Gold. You sir, are teh funnay.

LMFAO I just fell out of my chair. I scrolled past it at first then went back after I saw your alls post. holly ____ that was funny.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

but they do make a cool sound, there was one behind me yesterday, the loudest one i've ever heard
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhahahahahahahhahahaha he can't be serious.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That reminds me of this awesome video lol

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/RICER-VIDEO_4385.htm
Old 08-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by BSP_5c10n
Acutally VVT-i works with both the intake and exhaust cams. VVTL-i (Celica GTS tech) controls both valve timing and lift, while VVT-i just controls timing. I'm not sure if VTEC controls lift so I can't say for sure which is the better system.
Im sorry but that is not correct. VVT-i is only intake. If it has DUAL VVT-i then it does intake AND exhaust (thats why the 1.8 motor in the xD is so awesome (also the corolla has it, and the matrix i think (only 1.8L motors))
Old 08-31-2008, 02:40 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

only the 1ZR-FE, 2ZR-FE and the 3ZR-FE have the dual VVT-i
Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by duck_dodgers_24_5
only the 1ZR-FE, 2ZR-FE and the 3ZR-FE have the dual VVT-i
yes, exactly

Quick Reply: i-VTEC vs VVT-i vs VANOS vs others....