Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Moon Roof Glass Exploding

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sue Toyota I think its one of those 1 in every 10 car defect. Sorry to say but you were the unlucky one. Oh and you shouldn't pay even a penny for this. Toyota should definitely fix it free of charge.
Or else get a lawyer try to prove it was a faulty product and sue them. Just like everyone said unless it was a meteor that hit you the cars glass shouldn't break this easily. Glad your safe though I can't imagine
driving 15 more miles and getting with shattering glass and a huge hole in the roof.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Holy ____! Glad you're okay, man!

I'm usually the one beating the one-in-a-million odds to have something like this happen. Sucks you had to catch this one, bro.

I have to admit, the more I read about Toyota's dealerships dealing with their customers, the more tempted I am to run the other way. I know it's on a case-by-case basis with these individual dealerships, but I'm noticing a trend. This stuff is starting to stack up.

Anyone else think they're greatly underestimating the ability of their consumers to raise nine kinds of hell about getting screwed over and over?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

According to service, Toyota typically does not cover any kind of glass replacement, they did say though that discoloration on the glass is a clear indicator that it was defective to begin with and on rare occations they do cover the costs. If there is no discoloration, they will not covor it as it can not be determined if it was broken on impact or not. And we already know that if it was broken on impact it is definately not covered. In Massachusetts glass is covered by insurance. Service recomended that you contact your insurance company and put a claim in. I dont know the laws in your area though and therefor can not tell you if you will need to pay your deductable or not.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
If there is no discoloration, they will not covor it as it can not be determined if it was broken on impact or not.
Not true...I just started working this year in the largest aircraft windshield factory in the world. We also make all the ballistic glass for the US secret service. Our forensic people can tell you from all the bits a pieces where the crack started, the direction of the crack and the time (in micro seconds) how long it too for the crack to propagate.

If the crack started from the edge, it is always a manufacturing defect. The edging of the glass was not finished properly…and from what is said here, that’s what it sounds like. If the crack stared from a little scratch, it could have been a glass handling problem in production and can be debateable as to who caused it. Impact damages are very easy to spot; all the cracks radiate from that impact site…not a manufacturing defect and therefore not warrantable.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

does your car have any suspension work done?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had this happen to me before. I had the rear glass blow out on me with all the windows and sunroof closed when I was driving at about 75 with the stereo off and air off while I was chatting it up with my best friend.
It was in a 2000 Prelude, and it did sound like a gunshot. It only happened that one time and it never happened again after the windshield was replaced. totally weird, but it does happen.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kriscerosaurus
Holy ____! Glad you're okay, man! I'm usually the one beating the one-in-a-million odds to have something like this happen. Sucks you had to catch this one, bro. I have to admit, the more I read about Toyota's dealerships dealing with their customers, the more tempted I am to run the other way. I know it's on a case-by-case basis with these individual dealerships, but I'm noticing a trend. This stuff is starting to stack up. Anyone else think they're greatly underestimating the ability of their consumers to raise nine kinds of hell about getting screwed over and over?
Just to put this out there, there are some really horrible dealerships who lie right in your face expecting it to come down to a he said she said scenario (personal experience)
and other dealerships who are totally fair about everything and may say things the customer may not like to hear but are sincere.

also dealerships are not owned by Toyota, they are private companies that sell Toyota products. So Toyota might suck or the dealership might suck but they are are not mutually exclusive with one another.
Buying a reliable Honda does not mean the dealership isn't a horrible dealership, nor does buying a lemon Honda doesn't mean that dealership is horrible.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeloZero
does your car have any suspension work done?
Nope
Old 06-14-2011, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
just to put this out there, there are some really horrible dealerships who lie right in your face expecting it to come down to a he said she said scenario( personal experience) and other dealerships who are totally fair about everything and may say things the customer may not like to hear but are sincere.

also dealerships are not owned by toyota, they are private companies that sell toyota products. so toyota might suck or the dealership might suck but they are are not mutually exclusive with one another. buying a reliable honda does not mean the dealership isn't a horrible dealership, nor does buying a lemon honda doesn't mean that dealership is horrible.
I agree...
Old 06-29-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any updates on this?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tyap
Any updates on this?
OK,

Got the car back today...

Included with my new glass is a sticker on the door jam that states:

"Caution: Load CARRYING CAPACITY REDUCED"
"Modifications to this vehicle have reduced the original load capacity by 14 lbs"

Hmmm...
Gotta wonder what that's about.

Also, The total out the door bill: $2444

On what planet would a car company design a $20,000 car where the price of a single replacement glass is 12% of the cost of the whole car.

Also, please note that the SCION BOOST CARD customer service is NOT a customer advocacy service... they are there to document the scenario to guard themselves against any form of law suits.

They Differ all of the decisions made to the dealership, they have in no way influenced the outcome of the debate. They have no power to help your problems... They created the number to document
"Positive responses" so they can rank in the JD Powers and Associates Awards.

Ergo, If you have a problem your able to go sit on your own doorknob and spin using your own power and without ANY reach around assistance.

Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That sucks that it turned out that way. Did you claim this through your insurance?
Also: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204843
Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry haven't read through all the posts, but there is a recall for the wind deflector issued by Toyota. I came about the recall as I was searching what might be wrong with my car. They should replace it free.

"ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A GLASS WIND DEFLECTOR, THE DEFLECTOR, IF IMPACTED BY A PROJECTILE, SUCH AS ROAD DEBRIS, WHILE DRIVING WITH THE WIND DEFLECTOR IN THE UPWARD-TILTED POSITION AT HIGHWAYS SPEEDS, MAY SHATTER AND SEPARATE FROM THE FRAME."

Here is the link

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/scion/scion_tc.htm
Old 07-01-2011, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kyrgyz
Sorry haven't read through all the posts, but there is a recall for the wind deflector issued by toyota. I came about the recall as I was searching what might be wrong with my car. They should replace it free.

"ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A GLASS WIND DEFLECTOR, THE DEFLECTOR, IF IMPACTED BY A PROJECTILE, SUCH AS ROAD DEBRIS, WHILE DRIVING WITH THE WIND DEFLECTOR IN THE UPWARD-TILTED POSITION AT HIGHWAYS SPEEDS, MAY SHATTER AND SEPARATE FROM THE FRAME."

Here is the link

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/scion/scion_tc.htm

That recall is for the older models that had glass deflectors. It's been fixed.

There was an investigation by the NHTSA on the first gens for the actual sunroof exploding, but I don't think anything came out of it.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Default Updated

Originally Posted by Rotz
There was an investigation by the NHTSA on the First Gens for the actual sunroof exploding, but I don't think anything came out of it.

True. The NHTSA has done nothing since reported in 2006:

NHTSA probe's Toyota Scion Moonroof Failures..

This is STILL a Ongoing Continuing Problem
that has Not Been Resolved:

Shattering Sunroofs Might be More Common than you Think

The glass in my SUNROOF blew off today while I was driving 60mph down the freeway!!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-19-2018 at 01:12 PM.