Notices
Off-topic Cafe Meet the others and talk about whatever...

Stock tint is now illegal in VA?

Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trixspeed
I went to court in faiarfax back in april for the exhaust and tint on my matrix. the judge said that in Northern Va tint is illegal for national security reasons they must be able to look in all vehicles. This judge is female about early to mid 40's i think and she doesn't care about any factory tinted vehicles or proof that they are made that way so definitely bring a lawyer. She told me that if people buy vehicles equipped with such items then we are targets. I explained that I work for Koons Tysons Toyota Scion and they do roll off the assembly lines in that matter her response was that people should not buy them. So I think Va should be called the Communist state not the Commonwealth.
If you had pushed the issue, you could have appealed the decision, had it easily over turned and then also had the judge censured by a review panel for making such an absurd ruling. Illegal in "Northern Virginia", that's a load of garbage.
and in reference to getting the clear glass versions Max(?) referred to, someone said it's funny that someone would spend that much to go the opposite mod direction and get CLEAR glass, that's not the humorous part.
The funny part is the owner of that car is a window tinter.
(it's the orange xB on the newscionparts website)
Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would be a cold day in hell before I let them get away with a ridiculous ruling like that.

I've had VA legal tint jobs on every car I have owned in Virginia, which is 50% on the sides and 35% on the back and small rear windows. I never got crap from cops about my tint even driving right past them or next to them.

They seem to pull people aside that that have a bunch of stuff on their cars because they think of them as people who are always up to something.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ashuras
It would be a cold day in hell before I let them get away with a ridiculous ruling like that.

I've had VA legal tint jobs on every car I have owned in Virginia, which is 50% on the sides and 35% on the back and small rear windows. I never got crap from cops about my tint even driving right past them or next to them.

They seem to pull people aside that that have a bunch of stuff on their cars because they think of them as people who are always up to something.
That would be me last January on a Sunday. I was headed up to Fatty's in Dupont Circle for a tattoo. I had just got on the HOV and got snagged by Virginia's Finest.

I had a bunch of vinyl on the back windows... and 20% tint all around. The ticket was not too bad since I took the tint off for the court date. Officer said just take it off the two front windows and I'll recommend dropping the charge. I got off free, not even court costs. The guy in front of me wasn't so lucky. He was in the Manassas court for his fifth tint offense in less than a year. He had to drop a couple bills.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

Geeze, one of the neighboring states is that way down here, they don't care if your out of state or not they'll rip it off in front of you, and Arkansas has cops like that, had a friend that got pulled over, the cop wrote him a ticket for a loud sound system in a warehouse area, when all he had was the subs, no head unit no amps no speakers, when he pointed this out he got another for insubordination (sp?), then he got a little mad, he wound up with 5 tickets his car getting towed and 30 days in jail, the cop wound up paying for everything
Old 12-23-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Got_Root
I had just got on the HOV and got snagged by Virginia's Finest.
Ah ha! That's probably the real reason for the harassment- they want to easily see how many people are in cars for HOV enforcement.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

HOV?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

high occupancy vehicle.

it's a special lane for rush hour traffic usually. cars with 2 or more people can use it, well on 66 at least. i think the other highways around here are 3 or more.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

don't have those here, special lanes for cars carrying more then one person... thats weird
Old 12-24-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Hmm I live in TN on the state line and go into Virginia every now and then. A cop pulls me and my dad over in our SRT4 and says son you have an illegal exhaust system in your car. Everything was stock except for blowoff valve. Then he proceeded to look under the car and says "where are the mufflers" i reply It comes from the factory with no mufflers. So I had a brochure in my car that did say it had no mufflers . He still didn't believe me. I told him we bought it like this brand new. He says The dealership sold me an illegal car. Hahaha. And since my dad was with me he said we needed to get the exhaust fixed on this thing and said if he saw me again in VA with it like that he was gonna write me a ticket. Thank god we got rid of that machine. VA laws are stupid strict. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VA laws do suck, but i have 5% an the back and 35% up front and no problems.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up