Notices
Photography & Video A place to discuss and display cameras, equipment and photographs.

Opinion: Pentax vs Nikon

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Opinion: Pentax vs Nikon

So I've shot with Nikon for a few years. The main selling point to me was the comfort in hand, the button lay out, and then only a small factor, but the shutter sound.

I started with the d40, and shot it for about a 1-1.5 years. Enjoyed it, but was quickly limited by it's lack of features like a A/F motor in the body, (for lenses with out a/f motors in them), no bracket mode, megapixels, and a good iso range.

Eventually I upgraded to the d80. The d90 was out, but honestly, I feel no desire to have video features on my dslr. If I wanted to shoot video, I'd buy a video camera. Also I was never a big fan of live view. So those were 2 features I really didn't feel the need to have, and the d80 offered pretty much all the d90 had, minus a update sensor and light meter.

Now that I've over worked my d80, it's time to upgrade again! But looking at the market, I'm having a hard time deciding. As much as I'd love to upgrade into the D300+ series they are just out of my price range.

What I am torn between is the Pentax K30 or a Nikon D90.

If anyone here uses a Pentax k20 or K30 I'd love to hear your input on it, because for the life of me, nobody I know uses one. I'm not sure why though, from the specs they seem to be a great buy. Hell weathersealed body is a huge selling point for a "entry" level camera.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

There's probably nothing "wrong" with it. I think the availability of lenses and accessories is what keeps people away from the less popular brands like Pentax, Sony, and Olympus. For that reason I'd go with the D90. I have one, it's a great camera.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I mean, Sigma offers a good amount of lens that'll work with it, and I am not a professional by any means. But the few times I've used the d90 it reminded me of my d80 a lot. Plus the dual wheels are nice for quickly adjusting. Love having an exp and app wheel.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM

Default السلام عليكم ورحمه الله وبركاته

The d90 was out, but honestly,
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

team nikon!