Notices
Regional - Canada AB, BC, MB, NB, NL, NT, NS, NU, ON, PE, QC, SK, YT

Importing Scions from the US: Easy & Cheap

Old 01-25-2006, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member

Default Importing Scions from the US: Easy & Cheap

For anyone looking to purchase a Scion from the US, stand on my shoulders.

Many new Scion Xb's in Canada are over priced for the individual with the purchasing power to buy the vehicle with cash. To give you a taste of the disparity in pricing, let me give you a real world example:

2006 Scion Xb (Base model) from the US: $20,700 CDN
2006 Scion Xb (Base model) from Vancouver: $ 26,800 CDN

The Vancouver vehicle price is based upon a price of $23,500, the average selling price c/o Autotrader. The US vehicle price includes absolutely every cost associated with importing it to the safety of your garage @ an exchange rate of 1.12. If you have the ability to pick up the vehicle yourself and pay via wire-transfer or credit card, it truly can be much easier process than you think (especially for a $6000 savings )

I've laid out the following sequential steps of my process (I don't profess this to be a perfect action plan, but it's close):

(1) Check admissibility of the new vehicle through Transport Canada - The Scion Xb is
- http://www.riv.ca/english/html/us_ve...ssibility.html
- 1-888-848-8240
(2) Contact the Canadian manufacturer to determine if they will honor the warranty. Toyota will not honor it in Canada, only the US. You have two options:
- Tow the vehicle to the US for repairs
- Bear the out of pocket expenses – which will offset the savings achieved from importation anyways and hell its a Toyota not a Ford
(3) Locate a dealership that will sell to a Canadian citizen without a US residency - stick to dealers along the border who do this for a living and aren't bound by auto dealer association agreements (you'll find one)
(4) Place deposit with US dealership to reserve vehicle ($500 via credit card)
(5) Notify US Customs of the vehicles permanent exportation 3-business days in advance of crossing the border with the following:
- Recall Clearance Letter
- MSO (Manufacturer’s Statement of Ownership)
- Note: Experienced dealerships should facilitate this entire process by obtaining both documents and faxing them on your behalf rather than you physically having to wait 3 days in the US for US Customs to clear the vehicle. You will have to present a physical copy of the MSO at the time of crossing.
(6) Arrange for insurance to transport the vehicle into Canada for vehicle registration (2-day insurance runs at approx. $49)
(7) Pick up vehicle and ensure you have the following:
- Original title (MSO)
- Sales receipts
- Statement of Compliance label
- Recall Clearance Letter
- 3-day Travel pass (temporary registration for legal transportation – approx. $10 US)
( Drive to border
(9) Provide the following to custom officials:
- Title documents (MSO)
- Temp. Registration (Travel pass)
- Sales receipt
- Statement of Compliance Label
(10) Complete Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 (provided by Canada Customs)
- Keep this form in the vehicle until it is licensed
(11) Pay the RIV fee of $209, excise tax of $100 for vehicles with A/C and Vehicle GST
- GST is calculated after currency exchange
- RIV fee must be paid by credit card
(12) Once at home you’ll receive a letter within 10 days from RIV with your federal inspection document (Form 2) which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance
(13) Go to a Canadian Tire to receive both modification and a federal inspection
- Scion Xb's only need day running lights @ $210 and CTire will charge $102.95 for inspection
- Canadian Tire will stamp your Form 1 once your vehicle has passed inspection
(14) With stamped Form 1 in hand, get vehicle registration, insurance and pay PST at your local auto broker
- PST is based upon post-exchange purchase price with RIV and excise tax
(15) Within approx. one week, you will receive a Canadian Certification label with instructions on where to affix it to your vehicle

Don't be daunted by the list. In the hands of an experienced dealer and a review of www.riv.ca, your on your way.

I wonder if the new Scions in Canada are getting taxed twiced - when the CDN dealer purchases it in the US and then when you purchase it from them - hence the higher cost of buying it locally?

Ciao
Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

HMMM.... couldn't you just run some wire from the battery -> fuse box -> a set of light you can install in the front grille?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just for anyones interest, Toyota will/have honor full Scion warranty.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member

thank you for this, I have been hunting this info for a while. greatly helps me
Old 04-10-2006, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Hmmmm

Has anyone done this in Ontario? Has anyone used a dealer in western new york that they could recommend?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wish I knew this before purchasing our xB at the end of March. But alas, the wifey is happy with vehicle and I know we paid too much but the savings on gas and the cool factor make up for it. :p
Old 07-25-2006, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Call a dealer in the US. They wont sell you one without a US address.
Been there.
Done that.
By my xB if your interested!
www.cardomain.com/id/toybbox
Old 07-25-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Cavendish to answer ur sig, no its not that you aren't good enough, its just that's the way Toyota decided to do things. And I think Scions should be sold here under Scion then Toyota there.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:01 PM
rcp
5 Year Member

I have encountered a couple of dealerships in Montana that will not sell to me because I am a Canadian.

How have others got around this?

The only recommendation the salesmen had was we register the car in Montana and provide his address to the DMV, but this costs ~$500USD for permanent Montana registration, and the temporary registration is not an option.

Help.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You need to buy a used one.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Default this one too... import from japan to canada.

www.terra2imports.ca

prices include all handeling fees as well as documentation.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could this work the other way around...
import from canada!!???
Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

its doubt full considering it states it cant be imported from japan. meaning it wont pass rules regs. here no matter where it comes from its still a japanese spec. car. Not USA. From what i am told but its not recommended.. you could technically have a friend in canada.. and then go there and trailer it back " to your house"
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If anyone wants to buy a new scion in seattle area i have the hook ups. e-mail me sature@yahoo.com. I can also help with cheaper shop that does provincial inspection and tricks on daytime running lights for a few bucks! I been there done that.. time to teach you grasshoppers!! hahaha..
Old 01-01-2007, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member

Re importing from US
Got my XB to Yukon Nov 1 after being turned down by 12 dealerships from Anchorage to Seattle--Even ones who had sold to the other 2 Yukon owners-would not sell a new one to a Canadian. I finally found a dealer in CA so it cost an extra $1100 shipping to get it to Seattle for shipping to Skagway Alaska (100 miles away from us).
Toyota Canada confirmed that they will do all warranty work in Canada so I had the daytime driving lights (& remote start) installed at the dealership here. Also I used another garage recommended by RIV Canada for the inspection (instead of Canadian Tire) and there was no charge (part of the $206.75 RIV fee, I guess).
My cost was $22,965.41 delivered ($2349.36 truck & ship freight) -Canadian includes all taxes, duty, daylight driving lights and $546 worth of additionals (armrest, floor mats etc).

It might have been cheaper to fly down & drive back but I didn't have the time. The CA dealer was awesome to deal with! After 2 months finding a dealer, it was all worth it--it's a great car & handled -40 with no problem (small oil pan heater).
2006 Blue Onyx Pearl Xb
Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I hope I'm not hyjacking the thread, but...

... if I were to import an used xB from private sales, how would the procedures differ?

Do I still have to pay GST?
How would I do the transfer of ownership? Through the local DMV branch?
Do I still have to go through an authorized dealer to obtain the recall papers and stuff?

Bottom line, does it equal to me having to do most of the transfer paperworks by myself?

I suppose I can't randomly find some dealer and pay them some $$$ to do the works for me....??

Thanks! Just trying to save some time... (and unnecessary trips down South)
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member

It's a bit easier to obtain used tho the price might not be as low as you'd think! You still have to go through RIV Canada & pay the 206.75 and pay 6.1% duty and GST at the border. I don't kinow about the Provincial tax (we don't have one).
You'd just get a bill of sale from whoever you buy it from and that's the valuation they use at the border. That bill of sale and your insurance are all you need at DMV.
I don't think you need the recall letter for a used one but Rivcan can fill you in on that www.riv.ca.
Good luck- it's worth it. Judy
Old 02-03-2007, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Judy! (and everyone else who have posted to gave me help)

I actually called up the RIV department and it turns out they have a whole brochure made already to make things easier for people who want to import their cars into Canada. I should be getting the package next Monday, I'll come back and tell you guys more about it.

=)
Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so say u'r buyin brand new from Scion dealership
Do u pay U.S taxes on vehicle when buyin it there and then %15 for can taxes ? Or do u just pay the MSRP in cash and that's the only cost ?
Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM

Depending on the state's regulation on sales tax, in many cases you will be exempt from paying any sales tax as you will be exporting the vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing Scions from the US: Easy & Cheap