Notices
Regional - Desert & Salt AZ, NM, UT

just got 2005 xa, question about service contract

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default just got 2005 xa, question about service contract

I just got a 2005 xa 2.0 yesterday, and was reading over the vehicle service contract for it, and am starting to think that it will be a waste of money. does anyone have any advice or recommendations on buy or not buying one? the high expected reliability is why i am starting to think the service contract is a waste. i got it for 3 years/36k miles. And i also got gap insurance on it, but that does seem like a good thing. ill post up an introduction later. i just wanted to make a decision on this real quick so if i dont want it i can cancel it when i go back to the dealership today or tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by eignub
I just got a 2005 xa 2.0 yesterday, and was reading over the vehicle service contract for it, and am starting to think that it will be a waste of money. does anyone have any advice or recommendations on buy or not buying one? the high expected reliability is why i am starting to think the service contract is a waste. i got it for 3 years/36k miles. And i also got gap insurance on it, but that does seem like a good thing. ill post up an introduction later. i just wanted to make a decision on this real quick so if i dont want it i can cancel it when i go back to the dealership today or tomorrow.
I would definitley get the extended warranty. Now are you going to be doing off the wall stuff to that xA? if not and just beat around town with it, no question I would pick it up. Its to your benefit and since the xA is not around anymore I would. As for the GAP coverage, I will let Just!n answer this since his the insurance man out there.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i often hear that they are a waste because if you don't keep up very meticulous maintenance with the correct garage (usually has to be the dealer), they "service contract" wont cover anything. and it's not like it covers the cost of any of the maintenance items anyway, only unexpected "Breakdown" stuff, after the $100 deductible. if i had plenty of money to spare, it wouldn't be a problem, but i'm already about 100 over my budget now.

and yeah, i'm just using it for going around town, maybe a vacation once a year. once i get out from under some of my bills i will worry about some mods, but nothing now, or for a long time.

if you guys do recommend keeping the service contract, do you know any cheaper places to get it through? they are charging me $2k for 3 years/36k miles.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 PM
T_J
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Yikes, that seems pretty steep. How many miles are on the xA already? $2k seems kinda excessive. That'd buy a lot of parts/repairs over the next three years, assuming nothing major breaks (motor/tranny). I had a couple back in the day that I paid for but never used. Read the fine print, for sure. I'm pretty **** about maintenance & preventative stuff that I think, at least for me, most of those things are a waste...//TJ
Old 06-11-2010, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

yeah it is a bit steep, but I had my extended warranty impounded on our loan.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is really high. On my tC, I got the 100k warranty for 1250
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i felt that was a bit pricey. they added it into the car payment for convenience, but if i can save money by buying my own plan, i wouldn't mind giving up the convenience of one bill.

on another note, does anyone know if usaa provides their own extended warranty or gap insurance? theyre my provider.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emrules2001
That is really high. On my tC, I got the 100k warranty for 1250
who did you go through?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Maintenance is pretty easy and pretty cheap for the xA, I would suggest not even buying one in the first place... ESPECIALLY if you plan to modify the vehicle.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by eignub
and yeah, i'm just using it for going around town, maybe a vacation once a year. once i get out from under some of my bills i will worry about some mods, but nothing now, or for a long time.
Check with your insurance carrier to see if they offer any type of extended warranty coverage for your car. The company I work for doesnt, but I know some companies do, so give that a shot.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got my tC through Avondale Toyota/Scion
Old 06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a guy in the north east region of SL that works for Toyota and sells warranties for $895. For $2k I'd definitely cancel it, sounds like the dealer put the screws to you.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jamesfg49
There is a guy in the north east region of SL that works for Toyota and sells warranties for $895. For $2k I'd definitely cancel it, sounds like the dealer put the screws to you.
got any contact info?
Old 06-13-2010, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a email from him somewhere.....lemme check
Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't find that email and searched here for his info but I think it was on the previous edition of SL

I'd put a post up in the NE section and see if you can get someone who remembers him to get you the info.

As far as warranty...........the thread below should quiet everyone down, considering it was started by a guy who works for Toyota.

"The truth about voiding your warranty"
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...light=warranty
Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

alrighty, ill post up there and see what i can catch. i know technically they cant void the warranty just because of aftermarket parts, but a lot of my friends have had problems with being dismissed at stealerships automatically blaming any problems on aftermarket stuff. i don't plan on doing anything to it right now anyways though, no extra money.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you mean troy that they are talking about in this thread? https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...=111634&page=2
Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^ Yup that's it.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
T_J
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Check with your insurance provider on the GAP coverage. I've used State Farm for about 15 years & I know they offer it. Also, I'm pretty sure USAA can probably do the warranty &/or GAP. I bank locally with Desert Schools & I know they offer warranties. For me, GAP is more important than a warranty, if you owe more than the car is worth. Again, that would depend on the mileage. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, & welcome to the family...//TJ
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i talked to that Troy guy, and he can only get the good deals on buying a brand new scion that is still under the factory warranty. guess ill call my insurance.

Quick Reply: just got 2005 xa, question about service contract