Notices
Regional - Great Lakes IL, IN, OH, MI, WI

Team Scionara - Help With Sonar Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Team Scionara
SL Member

Question Team Scionara - Help With Sonar Lights

Hey guys, I drive a 1st gen box. The previous owner hooked up the sonars (I'm guessing that's what they are called, the headlights with a bulb for low and a bulb for high) with HIDs. When I bought it, the engine bay looked like a mess of wires, every other bulb worked, There were 3 LEDS at the bottom on each side which were tapped into the powerlines which the connections to LEDS have rusted... fogs taped in somewhere in the mix, loose wires haning about. Basically a big mess. Since then I've removed the HIDs and LEDs and now have regular bulbs in its place. The wiring is so effed up that I had to actually flip a bulb in the socket (put it in backwards and force it) so itd work. Its ridiculous. Now every morning at 5 am when I have to go to work (hour drive) I turn on my headlights and one will work untill i get out and literally punch my headlight. Hit a bump though and I'm back to one headlight. Brights? LOL when I turn my brights on, only the right side works unless i hit railroad trax at just the right angle... So.. Oh yea, I also have led halos that arent wired in.

I WANT TO RIP IT ALL OUT AND START FROM SCRATCH!

I need some kind of direction to know how to begin, like where to find the head light harness wires or a diagram so I know how far back I need to start with redoing everything. Ultimatley, I'd like to be able to have my fogs on with my high beams. Where do I tap in for my OEM fogs? I don't mind if they stay on when car goes off cuz I have AUX ones that I have to hit anyway. Where do I tap in for the "Audi LEDs" and Halos? I'm very visual so If you all can doodle that'd help a bunch. lol and why are my fog lights brighter than my headlights? They don't put out (%^^&($!!!! Sometimes I'll have to hold the brights halfway so I get maximum light, (Highs, lows, fogs and aux fogs) lol it looks like a monster oncoming.... when all the lights work. And then I wanted to go the clean look and eventually get HIDs (in the far future) but does that mean I need 3 sets of ballasts? LMAO! OMG big pain in the butt and I need light because my hour drive involve deer... when going 35 light is good I can see far enough to react, but when i hit those back country roads at like 70-80... I fear I just might hit something else So I know this was a lot to ask, but I have faith in my fellow Scion Owners! Thanks for everything.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

what i would do is find a wrecked box and get the head light harness from that one. The fog lights are an optional factory equipment so you could get the harness for both from toyota if you really had to. I know on the tc we have everything there to hook up for the fogs, just need to wire it. then put a switch on your rocker panel to turn the fogs on and off

For the halo's it really all depends on when you want them to be on. If you want them to be on with your headlights you can just tap into your head light wire harness and run the power and ground there, or you can go all the way back to the fuse box.

from what it sounds like, it's just a really bad connection followed by a really bad connection with another bad connection thrown in for fun lol

make sure when going over everything to solder the wires together instead of just like crimping, or twisting together.

last but not least, for the HIDS, i think theres a harness you can get to run your mains and your fogs with one ballast. just don't get HID's for your brights, because the light output as far as distance goes isn't as good with HID as it is with standard halogens. They're reallll bright up close though! lol
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You may wish to try this First. I had a recent problem with one of my headlight bulb loose connection. I went to Peps Boys and bought 1 pair/ Pkg heavy duty headlight harness and replaced only one loosed side. Plug + Play problem solved. Plus , the new heavy duty harness is now more acceptable for a higher wattage HID bulb. Good Luck

Hope this helps - Here's the SL DIY link to use fogs without headlights on.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130083

For more other info, you may wish to do differrent SL searchs on projector halo headlights + see what pops up.

PS I have HID in my OEM fogs + projector headlights= 4 ballast.

Last edited by JIMXB; 05-18-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: error
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have to redo my headlights also but it is lower on the priority list. Going to repaint the whole car first.

Do not wire the fogs to be on with the high beams, eliminates the ability to actually benefit from them being there.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by ogerdgonz
I have to redo my headlights also but it is lower on the priority list. Going to repaint the whole car first.

Do not wire the fogs to be on with the high beams, eliminates the ability to actually benefit from them being there.
With the sonars and most projection headlights, the beam is tall and narrow and lights the lane your in, my fogs are low and wide so when both are on I'm able to speed and keep an eye out for that deer that likes to ruin my day.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, right now too, its low on the list but its there, poking prodding, and pis*%&^ me off lol

What was that about splitting hids for fogs and mains? sounds interesting and feasible especially since that other option of keeping my brights as halogen totally makes sense. So how do i do this? Can I buy it from the guy that sells them on here?

Again thanks you all have been a real help
Old 05-23-2011, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

yeah i'd go with meng motorsports. PM and he'll give you a coupon code for cheaper lights (at least he used to) Most people do 4300 for fogs (yellow) and then like 6-8K (white) for the mains. I'd keep it with that.