Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Regional - Pacific Northwest (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/regional-pacific-northwest-1625/)
-   -   Under 21 with a handgun!? *update on pg3* (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/regional-pacific-northwest-1625/under-21-handgun-%2Aupdate-pg3%2A-142969/)

tC2_thumper 07-30-2008 05:17 AM

Under 21 with a handgun!? *update on pg3*

Okay, so I hoped that title got your attention. Ive got a question for anyone who knows about gun laws in Washington state. I am 19 years old. I know i cannot buy a handgun until i turn 21. and cannot get a concealed weapon permit until im 21 either. But i was wondering if my dad or someone OVER 21 buys a hand gun and gives it to me to am i breaking any laws? In January i will be getting my own apartment in a.. eh.. not so clean part of town and would really like to have a firearm for protection against home invasion. I plan on taking classes on hand guns, and home defense. So please don't flame me and tell me guns are bad, i plan on taking all the necessary steps to be able to protect myself. So if you know about the gun laws please let me know.

-Tyler

and on another note, once i turn 21 i will be getting a handgun and carrying it concealed. the two i am considering are the Springfield XD-9 or the XD-45acp. if anyone has experience with either of these pistols let me know what you think of it :)

tC2_thumper 07-30-2008 05:36 AM

anyone?

BZinn1 07-30-2008 05:43 AM

Pretty sure you cannot be in possion of any hand gun no matter what way you receive it till 21......might want to talk to someone at a local gun shop about the laws to find out exactly.......another idea is to got the local police station and ask them there......they would know for a fact what yo can or cannot do......better safe than sorry and never able to own a weapon like me........long story.......man my life has so many long stories......I need to get off my butt and write my book..........

ProjectGreen 07-30-2008 05:44 AM

I am not sure about WA, but in Oregon it is still illegal. You can not have a handgun under the age of 21 period. I am not trying to talk you out of it because, I did my time in the military and I am very supportive of having guns.

But, having a handgun is the wrong answer. I would suggest going with a shotgun being in an apartment. If you miss, there is a lesser chance of the pellets going though a wall and killing someone else than a 9mm or a 45.

That is just my two cents though, take it or leave it. But, I am pretty sure that it is illegal to have a handgun, no matter who buys it for you.

tC2_thumper 07-30-2008 05:45 AM

thank you b, i was hoping you would respond for some reason. and yes, you should write a book, i would buy one. and yes thats what i was planning on doing (calling gun shops/police station) but just wasnt sure if anyone on here knew anything.

ProjectGreen 07-30-2008 05:49 AM

Ohh with the choice of handguns, I am glad you are not being stereotypical and looking at a glock, they are pieces of ____.

I have shot both of the springfields you are looking at, and I don't like either one of them. For what you are looking to use it for, the 45 is way way way to big, and they shouldn't even make 9mm's because the round is to fast and won't do ____ but make someone bleed.

My bet would be to go with the 40 S&W, it is a good in-between, you have the velocity of a 9mm with the punch of a 45.

Well, hope that helps.

BZinn1 07-30-2008 05:59 AM

I know a rifle or shot gun is legel to own under 21......I think even I can still buy a shot gun or rifle.......I can never own a hand gun though.......but I was talkign to an police officer one day when he followed us to my buddies house......he was really cool......he just wanted tomake sure the 2 cases of beer and the half gallon we bought was not going to be something he was going to get a call about at 3 am.......he hated scraping up drunks off the pavement......gave him chills.......

But he showed us the new Glocks the department just got and let us all check it out and his car and all the cool stuff they have in them........he was really cool.....

But his suggestion to me was to have a gun store apply a sale of a handgun for me and see waht restrictions came back on it......it tell them if you can have any or none or certain items......

I never did bother as I was raised up fairly young in ahouse with guns and a abusive father who like to threaten me with them and my mother .......kinda turns me off to them.

Then of course seen several bad things happen with idiots and guns......not the poor guns fault.....jsut the idiot human aiming it.......LOL.......I have seen a few people shot and killed and was post witness to a suicide and even had a family member recently take their life......so for me guns are a voodoo of sorts.....

I think guns are a good thing if treated correctly and used in the form meant to be used in........I would love to hunt.......I would love to shoot at a range even.....but that is life........

Part of why I cannot have a gun is a major drug felony when I was jsut 18 years old and there were about 25 guns and rifles and other weapons in the house.....none were mine but since it was my house I ended up with the counts on my record.....live and learn......LOL

greybox 07-30-2008 06:17 AM

I grew up in a different state and different time but my dad was actually a licensed gun dealer and I was in safety classes at age 11-started hunting when I was 13.

I think someone who knows what they are doing can protect themselves with a gun possibly, anyone who is nervous or unsure can be a bigger risk to themselves and wind up dead. Like you said too, a place of your own-no roomates?

Between them and/or your girlfriend ( I assume you are a male-forgot to check) you also run the risk of them getting a hold of it and that could also be dangerous or deadly too.

I have to agree whole heartedly with the smaller caliber 9mm is plenty big for anything you need to do-a person can be killed with a 22 even without a perfect shot.

I am not sure about the shotgun idea-close range someone will wind up dead ( I unfortunately have seen this first hand) but the idea of it not going through the wall is really good thinking.

Take some classes, talk to someone you trust who knows about guns. Get to know someone that doesn't talk smack-there really is no room for bad advice on these things.

txstatetC 07-30-2008 06:35 AM

I normally just lurk around (i do think this is actually my first post..yay?) but I have some experience with firearms and work at a range so I figured I'd actually post a reply to something for once.

For most home protection I suggest a pump shotgun, mainly because if you rack a shotgun its like the universal sound for "get out". :P But, if you do decide to go with a handgun, I'd go with a caliber that you're comfortable shooting and operating, and are willing to practice with. Shot placement is key in 99% of all situations conceivable that would require a firearm for self protection. incapacitate someone by taking out a joint or lethal force if necessary. Also, if you're living in an apartment complex, you have to take into consideration that if you miss, it could travel through a wall and in danger random people. Accurate shots are good shots.

I personally have a Remington 1100 12ga, with 2 less-than-lethal rounds for the first 2 shots and if they are persistent good ol' buckshot.

I believe that trying the non lethal route first is important, I'd imagine a beanbag out of a 12ga would deter most would be invaders.

bbszero 07-30-2008 12:32 PM

^^^^ True! Definately go with a little 12 gauge pump shotgun for your apartment.

And the Springfield is a great gun. But don't rule out the Kimber's though, Ive had both, and personally prefer a Kimber.

And to the kid that said glocks are pieces of poop: You obviously have no knowledge or experience with handguns, otherwise you'd know better. Why else do 95% of police carry them? Because they NEVER malfunction! I went to a demonstration on them years ago, and was amazed at what they put these through, and still never jammed. I have carried them for the last 12 years at least, just for the lightweight and reliability factors. Now for recreational shooting, i prefer something heavier than a glock.

And a .22 kills more people a year than any other caliber. (at least that was the stat a few years ago, you may want to google it?)

bbszero 07-30-2008 12:36 PM

Oh yeah, I'd definately go with a lethal round! You shoot a sh*tbag that breaks into your apartment when your there, with a beanbag, and it injurs him, chances are he'll be able to sue you! They have no respect for your life if they are coming into your home, so why have any for theirs? Just my opinion though.

Adorian 07-30-2008 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by txstatetC
For most home protection I suggest a pump shotgun, mainly because if you rack a shotgun its like the universal sound for "get out". :P

I could not possibly agree more with this statement as it has bailed me out before, crazed ex boyfriend pounding on the door and me screaming at him to go away.... he didn't get the point but he heard me rack the 12 gauge and he seemed to decide bothering me wasn't really worth it.

My husband and I are both avid gun enthusiasts and have a wide range of weapons, but for home defense I agree with a shotgun, or boom stick if you will. For going out at night to a seedy part of town a handgun you can fit in your, well you don't carry a purse I'm guessing... so a holster or something. Whatever you do end up getting make sure you are comfortable with it before you bring it in to your home, spend some time at the range checking out different weapons, not sure where you live but Wades is up in the east side and is pretty fantastic.

Kiiski 07-30-2008 02:53 PM

I'll second or third or fourth on the shotgun, HUGE deterrent both sound and appearance. Greater chance at hitting your "target", smaller chance of a wayward round lethally striking an innocent paper boy or neighbor. I wouldn't necessarily go with a 12 gauge, though, a 20 is going to get the same point across and be lighter and easier to handle.
Kiiski

GreyFox 07-30-2008 04:10 PM

If you do anything take a gun safety course maybe two of them from different instructors. Learn about firearms and learn to respect them for what they are. Then think hard about what firearm to buy and get several opinions on what to buy.

Good luck and be careful.

tC2_thumper 07-30-2008 04:38 PM

Thanks for all the responses all!
Kirby- first, thanks for serving in the military, i respect you for this and makes your opinion matter even more. on the note of the 40 S&W, i actually shot one yesterday, along with a CZ9mm, 2 12 gauge, and a 30-30. i couldnt hit anything with the 40, but the 9mm i was poppin targets left and right (went into the mountains and shot bottles and stuff)

Greybox- yes i do have a girlfriend and chances are she would stay with me and i would want her to know how to shoot what ever i get. and yes, i also will have room mates. my brother and a best friend of ours, my brother has a 12 gauge and my friend has a 12 gauge and a ar-15.

txstate- thanks for the advice on getting a shot gun, and i can respect the advice on the 2 less than lethal rounds, but if someone else has a gun and comes into my house, with intent to hurt me and my family, i dont want to run the risk of them getting up and reacting to a less then lethal round. and yah that "get out" sound is unmistakable haha.

kiiski- thanks for the advice on getting a 20 rather then a 12, i have never shot a 20gauge but i will take that into consideration and take the time to shoot one before i make my decision.

greyfox- i will take classes, and that sounds like a good idea, take 2 from different instructors, and possibly 2 different shops.

robbiej 07-30-2008 05:33 PM

I don't know, the blade of a 9 iron will defiantly open up someones head if its applied right, my ex-brother inlaw had one by his front door when he lived in San Diego.

tC2_thumper 07-30-2008 05:35 PM

haha, im sure it would but IMO guns are superior to knives, especially because i could be further away and still be able to neutralize a threat.

xFistsClenchedx 07-30-2008 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by KRider830
Ohh with the choice of handguns, I am glad you are not being stereotypical and looking at a glock, they are pieces of poop.

I have shot both of the springfields you are looking at, and I don't like either one of them. For what you are looking to use it for, the 45 is way way way to big, and they shouldn't even make 9mm's because the round is to fast and won't do poop but make someone bleed.

My bet would be to go with the 40 S&W, it is a good in-between, you have the velocity of a 9mm with the punch of a 45.

Well, hope that helps.

My brother likes his Glock 40. It's what the police use around here so they can't be that bad. My brother had a Springfield XD9 and it felt too small for my hands. It's the only handgun I've ever fired though. I didn't enjoy it like I do firing an M-16/AR-15. I'd like to get a nice Saiga 12 tactical shotgun and maybe get an FFL stamp or whatever for it so I can convert it to fully automatic. Unfortunately I can't afford a nice one like I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUe4NWiOq5A

robbiej 07-30-2008 06:35 PM

No, nine iron, maybe even a sand wedge, lol. You lay in wait, then, when they come thru the doorway, first strike breaks their arm, second one cracks their skull.

I have a few friends who went onto ebay and bought ADT security signs and window stickers and put them on and around their houses, may be a cheap deterant, I had an alarm installed a few months ago myself, never had a problem, but times are changing.

dibbz 07-30-2008 06:59 PM

^^ ouch!