Notices
Scion FR-S Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Magnaflow CAT-Back Exhaust compared to Stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 PM

Default Magnaflow CAT-Back Exhaust compared to Stock

I decided to get the Magnaflow CAT-back for my FR-S after researching the various options. Because I spend a fair amount of freeway drive time, 'drone' was a concern as was my desire to not have a hugely loud exhaust setup. In trying to decide if the exhaust actually had the exhaust note I wanted, I searched through YouTube for a side-by-side caparison and found this shootout by DSport:

Ordered mine through Redline360 at a great price.

Why I chose it:

• Highest WHP gains in 2500-3000 & 5500 - 6000 RPM ranges
• 2.1 lb weight reduction over stock while still having a moderate deep exhaust note
• Acceptable noise levels throughout the range (don't need to attract that much attention when I get on the throttle)
Game on.

Last edited by Senzai; 04-30-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 PM

Installed and taken out for a test drive. Perfect exhaust. Exactly what I wanted: deep exhaust note with no highway drone. And those fabricated tips aren't bad either.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 PM

Here's what the Magnaflow system looks like installed.

After removing the stock cat-back assembly (I just unbolted at the front pipe and then dropped the whole unit to the ground), start at the CAT pipe and hang each piece of the system, align the rear muffler assembly by adjusting the rubber hangers so both tips extend equally out of the rear diffuser.

Then tighten things up working front to back, tightening the supplied two clamps to the recommended 40 ft/lbs.

Drive the car for at least 20 minutes to get the whole assembly heated up to operating temperature. Let things cool down then recheck the clamps are tightened to the correct torque setting (40 ft/lbs). This is key in ensuring there are no leaks at the pipe joints.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Default Lessons learned...

After driving for a while I saw my rear tips where not aligned. When I loosened everything up I found each section needed to be firmly inserted into each other. Can be done by using a rubber mallet to verify sections inserted fully before tightening the clamps back up (40 lbs using torque wrench). If you find the passenger side tip is vibrating noticable more than the drivers side it means the system is not hanging evenly on the hangers.

Last edited by Senzai; 05-13-2013 at 11:42 PM.