Notices
Scion FR-S Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

P&L 403whp/307wtq...Stock motor + Auto

Old 08-29-2012, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default P&L 403whp/307wtq...Stock motor + Auto

On a dang Auto transmission.

Originally Posted by P&L Motorsports
Introducing the P&L Motorsports BRZ/FRS Stg. 1 Turbo kit. Utilizing 10 years of Turbo Vehicle Tuning experience, multiple world records and class victories the P&L BRZ/FRZ turbo kit is the new Benchmark for BRZ/FRS performance.

Whether your a DragRacer, RoadRacer, or you just love tearing up the back country roads this kit is designed for you. Featuring the latest billet wheel turbocharger technology, unparalleled hand fabrication and ease of install, the P&L Turbo kit is the most complete turbo kit on the market. No cutting, no trimming or modifying, completely reversible back to stock kit!

The P&L Motorsports BRZ/FRS Stg. 1 Turbo kit.

Features:

-P&L Spec Billet Wheel Precision Turbo
-P&L Equal Length Exhaust manifold 304 ss Sch. 10 construction
-V-band Inlet/Outlet (no need for gaskets)
-TiaL 38mm MVS Wastegate
-TiaL Q Blow off valve
-P&L 3" Stainless Steel Downpipe (with adapter flange for stock overpipe)
-Atmospheric wastegate dump tube (plumb back option available)
-Fully "ceramic coated" exhaust components (silver or black)
-P&L 550whp Bar and Plate unit
-P&L Polished IC piping (custom colors avail)
-Blow thru MAF
-Choice of 500cc/700cc/900cc injectors
-3 BAR Map Sensor (for proper logging)
-Cold air intake
-DEI Titanium turbo blanket
-T-bolt clamps
-4-ply couplers
-Complete 25 page "do it yourself" installation manual 8hr install time
-3-year no questions asked warranty on all P&L fabricated components

Fitment:
-All USDM/JDM 2013+ BRZ/FRS/FT86 Vehicles

MSRP: Click here> http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15559

Options Include:

Wastegate Plumb back option
Custom color IC piping
Black or Silver ceramic coating
w/o injectors
ECUTek Cable/ license/ basemap for startup

Kit contents:

**Injectors/map sensor/coating not pictured** but are included in the kit

Dyno Results:

P&L Turbo kit E-85 15psi

P&L Turbo kit 93 oct 8psi

Stock Auto BRZ vs P&L turbo kit E-85 15psi Auto BRZ

Stock Auto BRZ vs P&L Turbokit 93 oct 8psi Auto BRZ

Dyno Video:

P&L MOTORSPORTS BRZ/FRS STG.1 TURBO KIT. - YouTube

Thanks for looking!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 AM
Banned

Someone had commented on the compression being close to 12:1, not sure if accurate or not but that can't last long. I dunno, not sure how the FA20 compares to other Subaru motors. The Dynosty kit looks more appealing to me. It makes ~325hp, already so much for that car.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder how it would hold up on a road course with that kind of power.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lynks
I wonder how it would hold up on a road course with that kind of power.
Maybe a few laps.

Nice kit though.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned

This kit looks beast though but since no one really knows the limit of this block yet I would be concerned about how long it would last.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by trdscion
Someone had commented on the compression being close to 12:1, not sure if accurate or not but that can't last long. I dunno, not sure how the FA20 compares to other Subaru motors. The Dynosty kit looks more appealing to me. It makes ~325hp, already so much for that car.

This isn't the highest whp dynoed. That would be 439whp by Accelerated Performance on E85.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

This kit looks beast though but since no one really knows the limit of this block yet I would be concerned about how long it would last.
How do you suppose you find the limits of the block or components if you are to scared to push it?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Banned

Not scared, concerned. I think that's everyone's first question with that much power on a stock motor. It could handle it but who knows.

Pushing it is one thing, blowing it is another. I'll let someone else blow their motor because it's cool to push it too far, get a boost spike or something like that and kill the motor. I think finding the limit is mostly the responsibility of the manufacturer.

I mean almost 2x the hp seems more than enough, if you're going to spend that much $ for the turbo why not protect the investment some with building the motor. That's just what I was thinking.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Not scared, concerned. I think that's everyone's first question with that much power on a stock motor. It could handle it but who knows.

Pushing it is one thing, blowing it is another. I'll let someone else blow their motor because it's cool to push it too far, get a boost spike or something like that and kill the motor. I think finding the limit is mostly the responsibility of the manufacturer.

I mean almost 2x the hp seems more than enough, if you're going to spend that much $ for the turbo why not protect the investment some with building the motor. That's just what I was thinking.

Yet, in order to find the limit, the limit has to be reached. No need to be concerned unless it's your vehicle and you don't have the funds for another motor But having a shop push it and then beat on it for you to give you a sense of longevity is ideal since that's their job.

The manufacture is not in the business of providing the aftermarket with stress numbers. There isn't a manufacture on the planet that does what you just asked.

90% of NA cars that get boosted, are on stock motors I would bank on it. It is absolutely not necessary to build a motor just because you want to turbo it. You just don't go past the recommended power levels....which are found out through experience. Experience is the only way anything is accomplished.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

I wasn't saying it's necessary to build a motor just because it is turbo'd. I don't have turbo experience, my thoughts/questions only come from what I've read and seen from others experiences etc.

I'd rather do something mild and see others improve numbers then go from there. And that's why I was concerned: "No need to be concerned unless it's your vehicle and you don't have the funds for another motor," that's the last thing I would want to do to a new car.

It might not be the manufacturers "job" to do it but it's in their best interest/integrity almost to give you an idea. Not "well here's a turbo for your car and now you're pushing 450 from 200, have fun." I've seen those that give recommendations etc like good up to 400 on stock motor or something like that.

I see what you're saying, and you have some turbo experience. I suppose I'm just talking from a lack of experience but I wouldn't really be down for a kit that goes that high/awesome without at least some idea of capabilities. But I guess that also comes down to a good install as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I wasn't saying it's necessary to build a motor just because it is turbo'd. I don't have turbo experience, my thoughts/questions only come from what I've read and seen from others experiences etc.
Ok, it sounded like that. I've been boosted for quite some time now, so it's really no biggy. Just operate within the engines threshold.

I'd rather do something mild and see others improve numbers then go from there. And that's why I was concerned: "No need to be concerned unless it's your vehicle and you don't have the funds for another motor," that's the last thing I would want to do to a new car.

That's what shop cars are for. They do the work for us, at their cost. Trickle down that R&D into the community to provide guidance and product awareness.

It might not be the manufacturers "job" to do it but it's in their best interest/integrity almost to give you an idea. Not "well here's a turbo for your car and now you're pushing 450 from 200, have fun." I've seen those that give recommendations etc like good up to 400 on stock motor or something like that.

When you say manufacture, are you referring to the car, or the turbo setups? I took it as you were referring to the car manufacture (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) and not the turbo manufacture. Because what you described is exactly what the turbo manufacture is doing. They are just now starting. They are relaying the data they are gathering and we are watching these things develop. They are still in R&D phase. Once they find the limits, then they will start making recommendations.

I see what you're saying, and you have some turbo experience. I suppose I'm just talking from a lack of experience but I wouldn't really be down for a kit that goes that high/awesome without at least some idea of capabilities. But I guess that also comes down to a good install as well.

Keep in mind now. Power is from the amount of boost you run on the setup. Turbo setups are not "put on and bam 400whp". It's the amount of boost you comfortably want to run on it. We could both have the same exact car on stock motors, with the same exact kit, but you feel that 8psi is all you need and run 300whp and I feel 15psi is more for me and make 400+whp. The amount of power has nothing to do with the kit, besides the maximum power the turbo is rated for. Just because a turbo is rated at 700hp, doesn't mean you have to run 700hp on your car. Just that "should" the time ever come and you want to push up to 700hp...you won't need to change turbos. Vice versa...having a turbo rated for 350hp. If I want to eventually run 500hp, well...I'm going to be spending money on a new turbo since this one only goes to 350hp.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Banned

Guess I should have included that I was referring to the turbo manufacturer, not the auto maker.

Definitely, I know that a 400hp kit doesn't have to be run at its highest boost/output. It's all preference. I think I was more getting at there is R&D involved especially for such a brand new platform like the FR-S/86/BRZ and they should give a baseline or starting point with some suggestions. Misunderstanding on both our parts.

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Keep in mind now. Power is from the amount of boost you run on the setup. Turbo setups are not "put on and bam 400whp". It's the amount of boost you comfortably want to run on it. We could both have the same exact car on stock motors, with the same exact kit, but you feel that 8psi is all you need and run 300whp and I feel 15psi is more for me and make 400+whp. The amount of power has nothing to do with the kit, besides the maximum power the turbo is rated for. Just because a turbo is rated at 700hp, doesn't mean you have to run 700hp on your car. Just that "should" the time ever come and you want to push up to 700hp...you won't need to change turbos. Vice versa...having a turbo rated for 350hp. If I want to eventually run 500hp, well...I'm going to be spending money on a new turbo since this one only goes to 350hp.
Good talk smoke...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Cool, glad we are on the same page now

I think it will be great to see these a few months down the road, still pushing 400+whp.

I can't wait for PTuning to finish up their setup as well, cause I know their quality. And what they did with the tC, makes these other kits (no offense), look basic.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Banned

Yup.

Yeah I mean the FR-S pushing 325hp+ is awesome. PTuning makes solid kits, lost of options. I can't wait to get my FR-S.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM
tnt
5 Year Member

nice - I want one
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"P&L 403whp/307wtq...Stock motor + Auto"

Sounds pretty simple when stated like that but it's really not that simple, cheap or easy. In order to actually make this work for a semi-reliable DD you better budget ~$15k and hope you can get e85 everywhere you ever go.

Base Turbo Kit - $5500
Gauges - $500
e85 fuel system upgrades - $1000
Tune - $1200+
IPT/Level 10 trans build - $5000

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
"P&L 403whp/307wtq...Stock motor + Auto"

Sounds pretty simple when stated like that but it's really not that simple, cheap or easy. In order to actually make this work for a semi-reliable DD you better budget ~$15k and hope you can get e85 everywhere you ever go.

Base Turbo Kit - $5500
Gauges - $500
e85 fuel system upgrades - $1000
Tune - $1200+
IPT/Level 10 trans build - $5000

Most turbo setups are $5k (no brainer)
Gauges (varying types can be under $300 and as high as $1000+)
e85 upgrades (this car and all the others are running a fuel pump as a fuel upgrade, about $200. Injectors are included in the price of the turbo setup)
Tune (You are getting ROBBED if you think a tune cost $1200. PTuning charges $500 at max)
IPT/Level 10 trans build (adding cost into something when you don't even know how the auto trans holds up. It's not a tC Auto trans you know. It derives from the IS which from my recollection handles a good amount of power).

PS....No one says you have to run e85 you know. Pump gas #'s are still 300+whp which is still pretty quick in this car.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Most turbo setups are $5k (no brainer)
Gauges (varying types can be under $300 and as high as $1000+)
e85 upgrades (this car and all the others are running a fuel pump as a fuel upgrade, about $200. Injectors are included in the price of the turbo setup)
Tune (You are getting ROBBED if you think a tune cost $1200. PTuning charges $500 at max)
IPT/Level 10 trans build (adding cost into something when you don't even know how the auto trans holds up. It's not a tC Auto trans you know. It derives from the IS which from my recollection handles a good amount of power).

PS....No one says you have to run e85 you know. Pump gas #'s are still 300+whp which is still pretty quick in this car.
Can you tell me more about this simple fuel pump upgrade? Is there at least a DIY for cutting apart the oem fuel tank assembly and making the larger pump work with the in-tank oem FPR? I quoted $1000 for conversion from low-volume returnless to a high-volume retun type fuel system.

Considering that my $1200 tune estimate includes the $800 engine management option, I'm surprised you took issue with it. It's also what Visconti is charging for a ECUtek tune. P-Tuning charges $500 for a one-time piggyhack tune which is not the same thing at all.

As for the auto trans, you must be thinking of the A760E used in the IS350 and not the 40lb lighter A960E from the IS250. I'm pretty certain that the 86 uses a slightly modified A960E which normally handles no more than 204bhp and 186btq in the IS250.

A 300whp pump gas "86" makes a lot more sense.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Can you tell me more about this simple fuel pump upgrade? Is there at least a DIY for cutting apart the oem fuel tank assembly and making the larger pump work with the in-tank oem FPR? I quoted $1000 for conversion from low-volume returnless to a high-volume retun type fuel system.

Considering that my $1200 tune estimate includes the $800 engine management option, I'm surprised you took issue with it. It's also what Visconti is charging for a ECUtek tune. P-Tuning charges $500 for a one-time piggyhack tune which is not the same thing at all.

As for the auto trans, you must be thinking of the A760E used in the IS350 and not the 40lb lighter A960E from the IS250. I'm pretty certain that the 86 uses a slightly modified A960E which normally handles no more than 204bhp and 186btq in the IS250.

A 300whp pump gas "86" makes a lot more sense.

Really? Installing a fuel pump does not constitute $1000 dollars. Even having a shop install the pump for you will not see the price you quoted. There is a DIY for installing a fuel pump in a tC, why do you come off as if there won't be one for this car?

Secondly your $800 squeeze in for the management is already included in the price of the kit. Again, Not $1200 for a tune.

I will have to track down the trans code, but pretty sure it's stout. Obviously if it was that weak, it wouldn't have even lasted 400whp on a dyno pull or be able to do this either:

I very much understand that you are a pessimistic type person, at least when you post. To you, it's either already failed, or is going to fail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P&L 403whp/307wtq...Stock motor + Auto