Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion FR-S Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-fr-s-owners-lounge-1844/)
-   -   GReddy Racing FR-S Formula Drift Build & updates (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-fr-s-owners-lounge-1844/greddy-racing-fr-s-formula-drift-build-updates-211376/)

GReddy_Staff 01-27-2012 12:54 AM

GReddy Racing FR-S Formula Drift Build & updates

8 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

On January 9th 2012 during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, it was revealed to the world that GReddy Performance Product has partnered with Scion Racing to introduce a competition built FR-S. The GReddy Racing FR-S will be campaigned in the 2012 Formula Drift Championship piloted by young veteran Ken Gushi. The all new platform has been a top secret project based out of our Irvine, CA headquarters and will be under going further development till it seeks its maiden voyage on the “Streets of Long Beach” April 6-7th.

Since the announcement, there has been many questions and interest in regards to the build so we’ve decided to dedicate this thread to document the whole project leading up to our first competition. I’ll also update you guys on the development throughout the 2012 Formula Drift season so you fans can keep track of our progress. Now that the secrets out, expect to see lots of behind the scene action so stay tuned!

-Brian

Part 1:

Over the years we have been very fortunate to have a good working relationship with Scion and the Scion Racing family. Initial talks started when Scion approached us about taking on a big project for 2012. We had a good idea what they had in mind so we sat down and listened. After months of negotiating, a deal had been agreed and in the summer of 2011 we took delivery of the vehicle.
Attachment 45980

Attachment 45981

Here you can see (L to R) our President Kenji, Crew Chief Shuji, and Spotter/Lead Mechanic Takeshi consolidating on the build. I’ll be assisting with this program throughout the year along with doing my best to keep you guys updated on this build. Starting from scratch, we knew it was going to be a long and challenging build with no time to waste.
Attachment 45982

First on the agenda was to reinforce the vehicle. For this procedure, our guys started to spot weld the entire chassis. Any other weak spots were diagnosed and reinforced accordingly. A week later, the car was ready for the next step: the roll cage.
Attachment 45983

While Takeshi was reinforcing the chassis, Shuji had been busy taking measurements for the cage. He’d been cutting, notching, bending and test fitting for the side hoop design to conform to 2012 Formula Drift spec. This was a very meticulous process as every notch and bend had to be precise. One wrong notch or bend will throw off the whole schematics of the design and will have to be re-done. The design of the cage would be based off the main hoop so it was important to ensure it was in the right spot.
Attachment 45984

After few weeks of designing the cage, it was finally time to permanently weld them via mounting plates.
Attachment 45985

In the end, it turned out to be a clean and simple cage with minimal tubing to help reduce the weight of the vehicle.
Attachment 45986

Attachment 45987

In a few weeks, I’ll share with you the next segment which will be in regards to subframe and suspension.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy it!

LuckyPablo7 01-27-2012 01:25 AM

watching!! and wishing i had $$$ to do the same hehe

ESEMRFOZZ13 01-27-2012 02:19 AM

all pics welcomed =) any of the motor. i dont want to get you in a bad spot with scion, so anything you can. thanks

creamyxb2 01-27-2012 02:48 AM

watching

GReddy_Staff 01-27-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13 (Post 3966396)
all pics welcomed =) any of the motor. i dont want to get you in a bad spot with scion, so anything you can. thanks

The current set up will be changed as we're working on final preparation for RD. 1 Long Beach so I'll be able to give more details and hopefully pictures of the engine bay as we approach April. All I can say for now is that it's a Cosworth CS600 series long block (EJ25) with a custom GReddy turbo set up. We'll be developing a FA20 on the side as well so we hope to have some parts for future FR-S owners soon.

It'll be a developmental year for us but like all competitors, we hope to be a threat. Can't wait to go up against the V8's and put this flat 4 on the podium!

my06tc 01-27-2012 03:14 PM

maybe ill sell my house to do a project like this lol..jk.....cant wait to see the progress on this fr-s....are there any turbo kits for this yet,or are they in development

ESEMRFOZZ13 01-28-2012 03:51 AM

make sure to use the ultimate, so i have a new home for it after the tc.

GReddy_Staff 01-31-2012 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Make sure you "Like" GReddy Racing Facebook if you haven't already. This page will contain more motorsport related content compared to GReddy Performance Product Facebook which is more product related. Thanks for the support!

Attachment 45764

ESEMRFOZZ13 02-01-2012 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by GReddy_Staff (Post 3968518)
Make sure you "Like" GReddy Racing Facebook if you haven't already. This page will contain more motorsport related content compared to GReddy Performance Product Facebook which is more product related. Thanks for the support!

http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...tos/tCxFRS.jpg

:bow: at the pic.

GReddy_Staff 02-02-2012 10:31 PM

GReddy Racing FR-S Build Part 2

4 Attachment(s)
Upon completion of the cage, we sent it out for paint. We decided to go with white since our past project car, the Time Attack 2011 Scion TC, is also white and is a good base color. Also at the time, this project was very confidential so final livery design with sponsors had not been determined. You can see what the car looked like when it returned from paint
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...s/7paint1a.jpg

The next step was to work on suspension and related components but Ken was gonna stop by to see the progress on his new ride so we figured to test fit for his seat position.
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p..._test_fita.jpg

Throughout this whole process, we were busy researching for parts. You can image how difficult this may by especially working with a vehicle that hasn’t been released yet. At the same time, we’re already thinking about which spare parts we need as well. We looked into just about every vehicle from older Toyota’s to Subaru’s to see if parts would be compatible. In the end, we were finally able to get FR-S specific parts which was a big relief. After weeks of researching, we ordered the parts and they arrived. It was now time for assembly.

Here you can see the OEM rear sub-frame installed awaiting some suspension and wheels. We're also going to tube to front and rear so the trunk space you see now will eventually be gone. More on that later.
Attachment 45695

Wheel test fitment so we can determine which spec to run. Tire size is now limited by vehicle weight which should level out the competition and give teams that don’t have crazy horsepower a chance.
Attachment 45696

We reviewed the rule book carefully and determine what components need to remain OEM and what can be modified. Any modifications that was necessary were done according to rules.

Making good progress on the interior.
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/p...os/12dasha.jpg

Ken makes another visit as he gives his feedback and requests. Talk about having a custom car!
Attachment 45697

At this point the car is about 75% done till it leaves for NAIAS in 6 weeks. We still need the entire drivetrain package and finalize vehicle settings. Still a lot to do with limited time. At least it finally looks like a car!
Attachment 45698

I'll keep updating with random pictures here and there as the car develops. Thanks for looking.

GReddy_Staff 02-04-2012 06:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a little more on what's been going on the past couple weeks....fire suppression install, wire harness trimming and preparing to cage the rear

Attachment 45614

Attachment 45615

Attachment 45616

Attachment 45617

Attachment 45618

ESEMRFOZZ13 02-06-2012 02:27 AM

beautiful.

highvoltage1 02-07-2012 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 45255

rhythmnsmoke 02-08-2012 01:59 AM

Car is already done, so waiting on the rest of the build catch-up

TeeCizzle 02-08-2012 02:03 AM

Vardy Nice!

GReddy_Staff 02-08-2012 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke (Post 3972017)
Car is already done, so waiting on the rest of the build catch-up

Technically speaking, not quite :wink:

I'll fill you guys in more with the original build later however the last few pictures were taken last week and is the current state. It's receiving slight adjustments and a rear tube which should almost be completed. I'll check later today or tomorrow and see if I can snap some pics.

GReddy_Staff 02-09-2012 06:27 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Rear cage is near complete! Only thing left to do is fabricate the container for fuel cell and battery. Ken also stopped by this afternoon to check the progress and give a little more feedback. Less than 58 days to go till Long Beach!
Attachment 45159

Attachment 45160

Attachment 45161

Attachment 45162

Attachment 45163

Attachment 45164

Attachment 45165

rhythmnsmoke 02-15-2012 03:06 AM

How much modification, if any, was done to the steering angle to get more angle?

GReddy_Staff 02-16-2012 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a lot of work that's still in the process and will probably be throughout the season. I can't get too much into details but lots of measuring and calculating for the new arms, knuckles, tie rods, etc.

Check out the rear end which is just about complete. Now time to work on the front.
Attachment 44715

Tune86 02-27-2012 12:21 PM

diff, gearbox, suspension details?
whats your ecu choice?
or we have to wait for details till FD in april? :rolleyes: