Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion FR-S Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-fr-s-owners-lounge-1844/)
-   -   Subaru developing engine for BRZ Turbo (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-fr-s-owners-lounge-1844/subaru-developing-engine-brz-turbo-218841/)

Jon 10-26-2012 03:01 AM

Subaru developing engine for BRZ Turbo

1 Attachment(s)
This is why waiting until the 2nd year of production is worth it.

Subaru developing engine for BRZ Turbo

Based on how many turbocharged boxer engines Subaru currently uses in its cars, solid news of a force-fed BRZ was only a matter of time. So it comes as little surprise that Automotive News is reporting that Subaru is currently developing a turbocharged version of the 2.0-liter engine currently found under the hood of the much-loved but somewhat underpowered 2013 BRZ.

Attachment 122287

TheQuietThings 10-26-2012 03:46 AM

Sooooo subaru designs a new motor for the wrx, forester, and sti. And every desperate writer is looking to create an eye catching story for the brz. Smh. Not happening and already confirmed directly from subaru that no turbo is coming.

Jon 10-26-2012 04:06 AM

I'll wait to see what happens. Just because they might have said they wouldn't make a turbo variant doesn't mean they have to stick to it. It's like when Scion said each model would only run 3 years.

Alvie 10-26-2012 04:38 AM

I suggest to hit up FT86Club, this was posted awhile back and this engine is not going on the BRZ it's replacing Subaru's other engines in other models. If a turbo were to come for the BRZ it would be ALL OVER THE FORUMS and INTERNETZZ

Roller_Toaster 10-26-2012 05:31 AM

Why so worried about a turbo model?

Jon 10-26-2012 05:52 AM

Because usually there's more to it than just slapping a turbo on when it's factory. If you can get more longevity because the internals are beefed up, then that's a pretty good reason.

Roller_Toaster 10-26-2012 06:10 AM

Tell that to all the oem block tc turbo guys.

I can understand the appeal of an oem turbo car over an aftermarket though.

Jon 10-26-2012 06:13 AM

I don't consider a few months to be "some time". I'm concerned about the long haul, i.e. years and tens of thousands of miles.

Roller_Toaster 10-26-2012 06:19 AM

Well...then wait a few years and see how all the boosted ones hold up. Otherise, buy an oem turbo car. Toyota and subaru have already said they are not going to make them.

Jon 10-26-2012 06:46 AM

The 86 racing spec from TRD was recently announced. The way I see it, if they have the enthusiast in mind, why rule out a factory turbo or s/c? It's not like they're contractually barred from making one just because they said they wouldn't. How many times have car manufacturers said one thing and done another?

And as far as information goes:

Corporate > Media > Consumer

So unless the people on FT86club (or where ever) are working for Subaru/Toyota on the corporate level, I don't see why their opinions would be more valued than a well known automotive journalism company.

Roller_Toaster 10-26-2012 06:56 AM

Good point.

Hopefully, if toyota/scion DOES make an f/i version, they do a better job with R&D than they did last time with the tc/xb2 supercharger...yeesh.

rhythmnsmoke 10-26-2012 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jon (Post 4066146)
I don't consider a few months to be "some time". I'm concerned about the long haul, i.e. years and tens of thousands of miles.

For them to even withstand low 11sec 1/4 miles even in just a few months time, I doubt you have much to worry about when doing a bolt-on turbo setup. It's .2 tenths of a sec from running a 10sec pass in this car on completely stock motor/trans.

The new Turbo FA20 also will be direct injected only, so that might actually be a handicap compared to the bolt-on turbo FA20's with port and direct injectors running in them.