Notices
Scion iA Discussion Lounge
Scion iA Forum - The new stylish Scion sedan

S.O.S. Urgent reply Needed-Removing the front cover Scion iA..

Old 06-29-2019, 07:57 PM

Default S.O.S. Urgent reply Needed-Removing the front cover Scion iA..

OK, here's the story...
I was driving home from D.C. around 2 am and ran over roadkill with antlers. Yes...that's correct. Someone hit a deer...I saw the smashed body but didn't see the head and antlers until it was too late. Tore up both my splash guards, cracked the lower part of the bumper and my front lower grill as well as leaving blood and flesh chunks all over the bottom of my car. So....I ordered parts and took off the broken guards and finished taking all the bolts and pins only to find that I still couldn't get the front cover off. It was still attached in the front middle. I stuck a flashlight between and discovered...WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME...ELECTRICAL WIRES ATTACHED TO THE FRONT COVER!!!! I cussed for a few minutes....I just spend a couple of hours getting off all the broken parts and hardware only to discover I can't take off the front to fix the grill and repair the bumper. Anybody familiar with the electrical status and if I can safely detach them without messing up anything and why in the hell there are electrical wires attached to the front cover in the first place???? HELP!

I need to get this finished this weekend while the weather is still good as I half to do this outside at my apartment complex. The front cover is snapped in place but all the hardware is off. I need to repair the front cover first before I put the radiator shield and the lower shield back on.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-29-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It could be an ambient temperature sensor, an impact sensor for airbag(s) or blind-spot detector, ie parking sensor.

If you first disconnect your negative battery terminal, THEN disconnect the mystery component, it shouldn't damage the part or the car. Since it MIGHT be an airbag component, wait ~3 minutes between disconnecting the battery and the mystery component.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:02 AM

Default Figured it out

Apparently I have fog lights. I had to disconnect each side from the grill piece. I had to remove the top cover over the radiator and pop out the pins and unscrew two on each side, one pin was under another piece, I just loosened that piece enough to pop it out. Then I had to unscrew all the screws for the lower grill, needed to put the new one in anyway, There were two plastic brackets that had a piece where the electrical wires were secured to the grill. Had to pinch those to pop them out of the holder and Voila, disconnected from the front cover. I brought my front cover inside to clean and JB weld and put the new grill in. Putting everything back together will be a breeze.

Talk about a complicated removal job. No wonder they charge so much for labor. But, those body guys are use to taking all this apart. My husband was pretty proud of me for figuring it out.

Thanks so much for trying to help. I really appreciated it.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't think about fog lights. Good job getting it figured out.