Notices
Scion iQ ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Easy bypass for phone and iPod control on NAVI unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Easy bypass for phone and iPod control on NAVI unit

You've probably noticed that you can't operate your phone (other than speed dial) or your iPod (other than trac change) with your iQ in motion. This bothered me quite a bit.

There are units on the market that allow the bypass of this "security" feature but as of yet there are none specific for the iQ. I found a way to bypass this feature and allow for full use of the phone and iPod controls while driving.

You will need some wire and a switch to achieve this modification. As always I provide this information for you to use at your own risk.

Start by removing the front vent unit from the dash. Grab at the edges with your fingers and pull towards you. There are no screws holding the unit.

Remove the plastic connectors from the back of the vent unit and place the unit in a safe location.

Next remove the audio unit housing by gripping it with your fingers and pulling towards you. There are no screws holding the unit.

For this modification it is not required to remove the wiring to the display panel. Place the audio housing unit on a cloth to prevent damage to the dash. Locate the four 10mm bolts and remove them.

Lift out the navigation unit and place on a cloth to prevent damage to the dash. The rear connections of the navigation unit will be visible.

You are looking for the white 20 pin connector (shown here with the yellow pointer) remove this connector from the rear of the navigation unit.

The light blue wire is the one we are concerned with. Locate it and cut it, leaving yourself enough slack to be able to splice in extensions.

Using crimp connectors add a length of wire to each side of the cut blue wire. The length of wire used will depend on your switch location. (I have not decided where to mount my switch so it is laying between the seats)

Connect the switch to the two leads of wire and re-install the dash and audio units.

With the switch in the closed position the navigation will work as designed, no phone or iPod controls available. When the switch is in the open position the phone and iPod controls will be available.

NOTE: When the switch is in the open position the navigation map will not be available. The driving directions will not function and your location on the map will not change. To use the map and GPS functions the switch must be moved to the open position again.

This switch will allow you to access the phone and iPod controls and when finished, revert back to the map functions. I'm sure someone will produce an electronic bypass in the near future but for now this provides a cheap and easy solution.

Use your phone and iPod while driving at your own risk! Enjoy.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive got the 2011 tc, thank you for this write up ( have the same navi unit ) did not have any luck over in the TC2 section
Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM

I hadn't noticed this until your posting as our unit just got installed Friday. Not sure it's an issue for us but we'll see.

We have basically the same Nav software in our '06 Lexus and ran across a posting in Club Lexus forum shortly after we bought the car for an override built into the screen. As weird as it sounds it was probably built in for the maintenance folk. You'd go to the volume screen and touch the upper left corner, bottom left corner, upper left corner again and bottom left corner again (no buttons, just blank screen). This would then bring up a handful of maintence only buttons but one of them was labeled 'Override'. This would then open up all functions that get locked at speed.

Like I said, weird but worked. Used it a few times when moving so my wife as passenger could have full access to the Nav functions. Maybe there's something similar in the SNS200.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jlstrange
I hadn't noticed this until your posting as our unit just got installed Friday. Not sure it's an issue for us but we'll see.

We have basically the same Nav software in our '06 Lexus and ran across a posting in Club Lexus forum shortly after we bought the car for an override built into the screen. As weird as it sounds it was probably built in for the maintenance folk. You'd go to the volume screen and touch the upper left corner, bottom left corner, upper left corner again and bottom left corner again (no buttons, just blank screen). This would then bring up a handful of maintence only buttons but one of them was labeled 'Override'. This would then open up all functions that get locked at speed.

Like I said, weird but worked. Used it a few times when moving so my wife as passenger could have full access to the Nav functions. Maybe there's something similar in the SNS200.
This thread just gets better and better lol

I'm gonna test this when I leave work
Old 01-10-2012, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tried what you mentioned and could not get it working, maybe i was under the wrong menu there is-int really a volume menu other then auto-volume so i tried info / av / nav / sound
Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 AM

That trick was on our '06 Lexus GS430. The software looks similar and there may be something like it in the SNS200. If so, I'm sure someone will stumble on it.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 AM
5 Year Member

this is a killer write up, thanks for this.

atascadero auto detailing
car cleaning san luis obispo
auto detail san luis obispo
automobile car detailing
car detailing san luis obispo
auto detailing san luis obispo

http://www.yelp.com/biz/central-coas...an-luis-obispo

Last edited by jerro; 04-19-2012 at 01:09 AM.