Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion iQ Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-iq-owners-lounge-1832/)
-   -   iQ MPGs (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-iq-owners-lounge-1832/iq-mpgs-228621/)

TMPRMNT 07-21-2014 09:54 PM

iQ MPGs

Hi all
I got a new iQ and my MPGs are significantly lower than EPA on the sticker.

Anyone else having this problem?

Nargrakhan 07-29-2014 06:34 PM

For me the situation depends how I'm driving. I tend to have a lead foot, and that really reflects on the MPG. When using the "D" mode with regular gas, without modifying my normal driving habits, I'm averaging about 35 MPG. When driving textbook perfect, as if there's a driving instructor in the passenger seat and the city police following me, I average about 41 MPG while in the "D" mode.

Putting the car in "S" mode drains fuel like I have a hole in the tank, so I avoid using it. To be honest, I don't see much acceleration difference with the "D" mode (gives me 2000 RPM) and the "S" mode (gives me 3000 RPM). I notice the breaks are more responsive in "S" mode though.

Premium fuel gives me the same level of performance as Regular fuel, so I see no point in using it.

jct 07-30-2014 04:11 PM

i don't bother driving fast any more i don't see wtf the rush is to get anywhere when you leave early enough

Nargrakhan 07-30-2014 07:08 PM

It's not that people are always in a rush to get anywhere due to time... some people just tend to like driving fast. For me, waking up early means I can go faster because there are fewer cars on the road and the traffic light timers stay green longer.

The iQ certainly isn't an accelerator car, but it can reach fast speeds given enough time. Not a nimble car, but the low radius makes for some interesting turning feats. This is also the first CVT I've ever owned, so the whole feel of it is still a novelty.

I don't know... I consider it fun at speed when all things are considered. My only real issue is how "jumpy" the handling is when navigating bumpy parts of the road, but I'm getting use to it more and more.

Toolman 07-31-2014 06:40 PM

I have been getting around 45 this summer and with the winter tires last year around 37.

Rune422 08-26-2014 05:45 PM

VERY BAD MPG's

Originally Posted by TMPRMNT (Post 4154481)
Hi all
I got a new IQ and my MPGs are significantly lower than EPA on the sticker. Anyone else having this problem?

I only get 26mpg no matter how I drive:(

Rune422 08-26-2014 06:12 PM

Hi all
I got a new IQ and my MPGs are significantly lower than EPA on the sticker. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes!!! 26mpg:(

Tequilarose 11-08-2014 05:18 AM

Hi all

Originally Posted by Rune422 (Post 4156625)
Yes!!! 26mpg:(

Are your iQs "broken in" yet? They will improve after break in. If you do moderate highway miles, I recommend installing cruise control. With the cruise we are getting a solid 40MPG:biggrin: Also do the math! Don't trust your dic (driver information center). Ours is consistently lower than the math. Math don't lie.

Rune422 11-09-2014 01:24 AM

MPG

My iq is broken in on the highway I can Barley touch the gas pedal and I'll get 38, but in the city it's always 22 mpg.. I've taken to a few dealers and they say you need to barely touch the gas pedal to get the mileage... Some engines are defective.

QUOTE=Tequilarose;4160563]Are your iQs "broken in" yet? They will improve after break in. If you do moderate highway miles, I recommend installing cruise control. With the cruise we are getting a solid 40MPG:biggrin: Also do the math! Don't trust your dic (driver information center). Ours is consistently lower than the math. Math don't lie.[/QUOTE]

Crhoads1024 06-13-2015 02:32 AM

Bought a 2012 iQ last Saturday. Filled up the tank today

I had read that people were disappointed by the numbers they were getting in their iQ's. Mine I drove off the lot with 11,959 miles so I would say it was broken in, I hit 12,219 and the gas light was blinking. Anyway, I filled it up today with 6.5 gals of fuel and calculated my MPG and was shocked when I had achieved 40mpg.

So when the gas light blinks there's still 2 gals left, enty of time to get to a gas station.

I absolutely love this car!!!

MaxiQ 06-17-2015 10:17 PM

Normal city driving has been right around 36 since day one, 11 months ago. One road trip got me into the low 40s for a bit. Very happy!

mpop1976 10-22-2018 10:55 PM

I get good milage (2013 iQ, driving Baltimore most of the time from the image below (I use an app call fuellog) and as you can see I average 40 mpg (also you will note that no gas was used in Sept that was because I was not driving as I had neck surgery and was not able to drive from Aug 22 to Oct 2)

I should also note it depends on where I get gas, the cheap gas stations I drop 5 to 10 mpg. But if I go to the places that average $0.10 more per gallon I get better mpg. So yes I pay more per fill up but I get up to 60 more miles per fill up. (WaWa gives me the worst at about 30mpg, and Royal Farm/Sunoco gives me the best around 40 mpg)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sci...97b730ab0f.png