Notices
Scion iQ Owner's Lounge
2011-____ [NGJ12]

Tow Hook Mount for Front iQ Liscense Plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Tow Hook Mount for Front iQ Liscense Plate

Soooo... I took my iQ in today to PTuning in Mananas, VA this morning to have the front tow hook mount evaluated for a license plate mount. The bad news is that the threading and length of the main bolt is not at all similar to any other Scion models.

In other words they cannot make the license plate mount unless they have at least 15 orders to make the part worth while.

Therefore, are there people out there who want this item? Please post here if you are interested in per-ordering this item:

Thanks

Last edited by amadcow2; 09-04-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member

Interested, cost and pictures?
Old 09-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicMoJo
Interested, cost and pictures?
As for the cost, I don't know. PTuning?? Can you chime in here?

THIS is an example of their work. They are a very professional shop and did a great job on my cold air intake. I would love it if they could address this basic need for our iQ community.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Progress..

Talked to the folks at GoMiniGo. They are evaluating an iQ this week and should have an option for us by Monday. I'll post the details when I get them.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:03 AM
5 Year Member

I really want this tow hook mount! Thanks for stepping up. So glad I didn't risk it and just ordered a generic one, I kinda knew the tow hook is different because I tried the one from an xA and xB1 and it didn't work
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member

It now says "coming soon" on the gominigo site :D
Old 09-12-2012, 02:41 PM

Slight Update:

I've been in contact with Jason of GoMiniGo. He's still looking at the fit specifications for an iQ. He couldn't get his hands on one last weekend, but I did send him this additional information:

First of all, when you pop the tow hook cover, the distance between the bumper and the start of the threads is 1.8"

Here's a (hopefully) more precise picture of the tow hook:

From that picture, it looks like the threaded outside diameter is approximately 0.85" and the length of the overall bolt, up to the eye hook is approximately 4"

Here is a picture of the bolt seated in the tow hook slot:

I hope that these have helped.

... At any rate, I'm hoping that he can help us... Also if anyone else can use the information to create an alternative, that would be great too. I do suspect that Jason and the guys at GoMiniGo will have something for us very soon
Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member

at least they considered our car.. hopefully they'll make one that one block the iQ plate cause that's my main reason for not wanting to put one in
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 PM

Success!! GoMiniGo is sending me a mount for my iQ!! They believe, based on the pics I sent and their measurments that the mount is similar to the second gen tC and xB. Here's what Jason sent me:

Thank you for the pictures with measurements. Looks like the iQ, tC, and xB models all use the same tow hook and length so we can get something out to you immediately. The only difference may be the bracket needed on the iQ versus the other models due to the location of receptacle. We send the Offset bracket with the other kits to move it 2" towards the center of the bumper but this may cause some of the plate to block the iQ insert. The iQ might be best suited with our Standard bracket but I can send both. Let me know if you have any questions and you can give me a call if you would like to order the kit. I will be doing an install with pictures on Saturday if you prefer to wait.
So, I ordered a mount and they are evaluating an iQ this weekend, so I should have something concrete very very soon. I'll post pictures.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member

Cool! That was fast! How do I place an order?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by ra1n
Cool! That was fast! How do I place an order?
I'm the guinea pig on this one. We should know for sure this weekend. I'll post pictures
Old 09-15-2012, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member

I got a reply from 2zero6, he has a different mount. still no drills but it's not on the tow hook. gonna check out which one looks better
Old 09-15-2012, 09:45 PM

I got a reply from 2zero6, he has a different mount. still no drills but it's not on the tow hook. gonna check out which one looks better
Let me know how that one looks. The one sent from GoMiniGo didn't fit, but I still hold hope that they will get one working.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Jason at GoMiniGo is awesome.

I ran into the same situation on the iQ I test fit on Saturday. The diameter of the bolt I sent is just a little too small. I have the tow hook from the vehicle and will be getting together what I need for my machine shop to do a run of the new bolts. If you have already sent back the kit I will let you know when I receive it and the new bolts. Sorry that it will be delayed a little before we can get you helped out.
In other words, they are going to machine out a bolt that fits our iQ in a fairly short time frame. The kit is of very high quality and when we get the right bolt, it should work like a charm. Great customer service with this company. I highly recommend them.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

sounds like something i would really want to order. just as long as it doesn't block any of the iq plate insert.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by amadcow2
Let me know how that one looks. The one sent from GoMiniGo didn't fit, but I still hold hope that they will get one working.
I went with 2zero6, here's how it looks:

Name:  SGiTI.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  102.1 KB
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 AM

I went with 2zero6, here's how it looks:
Looks good !! I've got the tow hook mount coming. Should be here in a few days. Will post pics soon.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

hey rain, where did you get that splitter from and how much $$$?
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by stonecoldnimrod
hey rain, where did you get that splitter from and how much $$$?
I got it as a sample from an eBay vendor (ezLip) for fitment/pictures. Not sure how much they sell it for. A friend told me you could do the same thing with a Frost King-brand garage door bottom seal
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM

The folks at GoMiniGo came through in a big way. Take a look at my new tow hook mount:

Quick Reply: Tow Hook Mount for Front iQ Liscense Plate