Notices
Scion iQ Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Scion iQ with Rear Disc Brakes..

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion iQ with Rear Disc Brakes..

Scion iQ with Rear Disc Brakes..-scion-iq.jpg

Here is a pic of my Scio iQ its nickname is Scrappy, some of you on here may already know me from another Scion iQ forum. I have been building cars since i was 15 years old, and working on small engines since 8 or 9,
I have a passion for anything mechanical, and always love a challenge which is why I picked the Scion iQ as my starting point for my latest build.

For those of you who don't know me I'm always willing to help if you have any questions. Short of taking the engine out of my iQ and rebuilding it, I have taken this car apart as much as you can imagine.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-28-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My mod list on this iQ is about 4 pages long and even though from the outside it doesnt look radical, i have tried to pay attention to as many details as possible, like my rear disk brake conversion. I have personally seen the iQs that where present at the SEMA show as i was working for a vendor at the time ( I use to sell the equipment and materials for water transfer printing) none of the iQs at the SEMA show had rear disk brakes with the parking brake still functional, as they where "suppose to be designed to look like race cars" but we all know the Scion iQ is more of a fun car than a race car, so when i worked with a company to put together my rear disk brake conversion i decided i would keep everything on my car functional.

I am running 6 piston calipers in the front made by Wilwood, so when putting together the rear kit I also wanted to go with Wilwood. The problem with wanting to go with Wilwood is the caliper I wanted to use they really only sell for export use, but with the help of a friend, I was able to get a set of the calipers I wanted, and then I ordered a set of the even harder to get hand brake cables from England, so its fair to say this wasnt an easy conversion. the rotors i chose to go with are two piece 11" cross drilled and slotted, its fair to say that my iQ will stop and fast LOL.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-28-2020 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-29-2013, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default rear brakes upclose

Here is a picture of my Rear Brake mod up close. when i started this mod I didn't realize just what a pain in the butt it was going to be, but i quickly found out when for the third time i had to pull out all the seats as well as carpeting in order to get to the rear parking brake cable hosing. I had to figure out a way to transition my factory parking parking brake to my new brake cables, so i created a balance bar that would allow me to attach my two brake cables to my single parking brake cable. I created my balance bar using a all thread stainless steel bolt, which i drilled three holes through and used nuts and washers as well as a swaging tool to make it all happen. I also had to create new brackets to mount the cables under the IQ and route everything completely different than it was originally routed, but the end result works perfect, and looks as if it could have come this way from the factory. On a side note, I'm a big fan of stainless steel, so every nut, bolt, screw or fastener i have used on this mod, or any other has been done using stainless steel hardware. I have also changed nearly every nut and bolt on my iQ over to polished stainless steel, or an anodized NRG fender washer.

____
Attached Thumbnails Scion iQ with Rear Disc Brakes..-rear-brakes.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-28-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi,

Saw you on the other iQ forum, but seems like you don't post there anymore, for a reason I guess maybe not to speak of....

I have been interested in a rear disc conversion, but seems like a lot of pain to make the parking brake work. I saw the kit on fastbrakes.com like you listed in that other forum.........

Thanks for all the contributions you've made!

Last edited by jzchen; 11-07-2017 at 07:54 PM.