Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion News Forum (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-news-forum-2/)
-   -   • Warnings and Infractions • (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-news-forum-2/%95-warnings-infractions-%95-167849/)

Tomas 07-28-2009 10:41 PM

• Warnings and Infractions •

Hi, folks!

As you already can see we have a new look and feel to ScionLife.com, and along with that comes a lot of change "behind the scenes," too.

One of those changes is in how things are handled when you break the rules...

FIRST THING TO LEARN IS NEW TERMINOLOGY!

It is akin to getting a traffic ticket: A "real" ticket is an "infraction" and a more gentle one is a "warning."

An infraction gets you points on your license to post here, and enough points cause you to either have your license suspended (temporary ban) or revoked (permanent ban).

Warnings don't entail points, but are simply a word to the wise: Don't do this again.

Points, just like points on your license in the real world, only hang around for a specific length of time. In other words, make a mistake and get a ticket, with good behavior over a specified time period the points for the ticket go away.

Also, just like the real world, it is likely that a second suspension (temporary ban) will be for longer than a first offender gets, if the points are still on your license.

That's all built into the infraction system, and works automatically.

A SuperMod will decide whether to warn or give infraction points, click the proper box to match the offense, and the system handles most of the rest, including sending the "ticket" to the user.

The biggest change you will hopefully NOT see is that now, depending on the points you get for infractions, you may be temporarily banned for periods from days to months (or, worst case, permanently banned from ScionLife.com). :(

Tom

scuds03 07-28-2009 10:49 PM

Ok thats cool but in order to have a system like that you need laws...What types of posting gets you points?

ack154 07-28-2009 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by scuds03 (Post 3237705)
Ok thats cool but in order to have a system like that you need laws...What types of posting gets you points?

Start here:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164

crush02342002 07-29-2009 01:26 AM

streamlined...prolly for the best. Thanks for the info Tom

Tomas 07-29-2009 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by scuds03 (Post 3237705)

It is a short list so far and is based on the long established site rules that everyone agreed to before being allowed to post their first post.

Here's the "short list" ...

http://tijil.org/infraction_list.gif

Keep in mind that there is one more selection on the list, and that is a custom one where a SuperMod or Admin can cover any other breaking of the site rules...

I'm trying to keep it as simple, direct, and straightforward as possible.

99.999% of the folks here don't have to worry about any of this, because they follow the rules. It's only that .001% that even have to worry about this. :D

(You may have noticed that ten pointer at the end - that's for folks who come on ScionLife.com and as just about their first act break the rules. As you might guess, ten points is a permanent ban.) :shock:

SquallLHeart 07-29-2009 05:41 AM

and i have already done one of those today...

it's some moron that keeps coming back to spam the same crap anyway..

alfundo 07-29-2009 12:58 PM

Hopefully some safeguards were built in to prevent mods from abuses. I've seen examples where mods will allow their friends or club affiliates to do whatever they like and then come down hard on someone else doing the same things. I have also seen mods break their own rules. Congrats on the new look. Now it looks like all the other Scion sites.

coryjames 07-29-2009 02:05 PM

so what step am i on? like my 5th dui another bad thing and i go to death row lol.I like the new system

ih8civx 07-30-2009 09:16 AM

An infraction system may actually drive me to visit more often. I never come here anymore because of the amount of bashing, hazing, and flaming that goes on within the threads. If we can weed out the bad ones (along with repeat threads caused by someone not searching), this site is nothing but knowledge.

I've been here for a very long time and would like to continue coming back. Thank you for the much needed changes SL.

dgHotLava 07-30-2009 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by alfundo (Post 3238721)
Hopefully some safeguards were built in to prevent mods from abuses. I've seen examples where mods will allow their friends or club affiliates to do whatever they like and then come down hard on someone else doing the same things. I have also seen mods break their own rules. Congrats on the new look. Now it looks like all the other Scion sites.

we do have safeguards, we have a general cross section of people from all kinds of clubs and circle of friends. we ask other mods to voice an opinion if we are too close. and most of the time we will be harsher on our own groups...lead by example.

coryjames 07-31-2009 12:06 AM

I have been banned one time before but cause tom is awesome and suport from others I am back I will try to be nice even though its hard. Btw tom how many points am I at can I get a pm I just would like to know lol

pickledchang 07-31-2009 11:56 PM

:roll: lame, big brother is everywhere these days...

wont be much longer until a typo on a myspace blog goes against your homeowners insurance.

stick_1NZ 08-03-2009 03:46 AM

Thanks for the great info Tom! As always you keep the fortress lined up.

GOLD_PLAYTD 08-04-2009 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by dgHotLava (Post 3240262)
we do have safeguards, we have a general cross section of people from all kinds of clubs and circle of friends. we ask other mods to voice an opinion if we are too close. and most of the time we will be harsher on our own groups...lead by example.

x2

"Lead by example"...exactly. I hope the mods and infraction system will not negate our ability to 'politely correct' or inform offensive posters. If used the infraction system should be a last resort, not an immediate response.

HATEnFATE 09-21-2009 03:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, who decideds on what we get, an infraction or a warning?

I posted a pic in a thread because I thought it was funny. Not even thinking about it, and it had a cuss work in the pic. I would have gladly deleted it upon request but instead of recieveing a warning, I recieved an instant ban and points on my account. I've been a rule folling member since mid 2004 and have NEVER recieved a warning about my language because I follow the forum rules and this was a simple case of not noticing before I posted.

Should a warning have been issued in this case since it was a first offense or are we going straight to bans?

I also never recieved an e-mail of my offense, so I spent my entire ban with no clue as to what I did other then "language in pic" posted in my ban message. A friend was the one who suggested that the Joke picture I had posted had a cuss word in it. Maybe a few more details and an e-mail would be helpful so the offending member isn't left questioning what they did, such as myself. I didn't know until my account was reinstated, what I had done.

Just a thought. It would be nice to know that the same process is followed every time since I was immediatly thrown out with no warning.

Tomas 09-21-2009 06:38 PM

I also never recieved an e-mail of my offense, so I spent my entire ban with no clue as to what I did other then "language in pic" posted in my ban message. A friend was the one who suggested that the Joke picture I had posted had a cuss word in it. Maybe a few more details and an e-mail would be helpful so the offending member isn't left questioning what they did, such as myself. I didn't know until my account was reinstated, what I had done.
The new software automatically takes care of the suspension (temporary ban) when a mod clicks the button on what the problem is.

The idea of the immediate temporary ban is to get the person's attention so that the next time they might be just about ready to do something against the rules, they remember what happened last time and don't.

As to notice, since the system suspends the person immediately, there is no opportunity to send a PM, because it couldn't be read.

However, when the person attempts to log on the system should show them the simple rule they broke to get in the predicament they are now in.

The mods do not have your email address, although they could go the roundabout method of writing a special email and sending it through the software, knowing that folks should know the rules, that the system will tell them why they are suspended, and that this has been covered several times since the move to new software, there really is no need to handle each one as a special case.

Sorry if it seemed a bit rough, and wasn't personalized, but having words in a picture that break the rules for words in text doesn't get around the rules, and next time you will remember to check. :)

Take care,
Tom

George 09-21-2009 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by HATEnFATE (Post 3305967)
I also never recieved an e-mail of my offense, so I spent my entire ban with no clue as to what I did other then "language in pic" posted in my ban message.

Honestly, how much of a clue do you need? Even without seeing the picture these three words are plenty to tell any thinking person that you posted a picture containing offensive language. Blaming a mod for not sending you an essay sounds suspiciously like whining.

It's always enjoyable to watch the "classroom lawyers" probing for loopholes in a system. They expend far more effort exploring ways around the rules than they would by simply following them! :)

You seldom see anyone banned in well-run forums. The penalty seldom has to be used because everyone knows that it definitely will be used if needed. Problems occur when violators are given multiple "second chances." Hopefully this new system will help avoid this.

ack154 09-21-2009 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by George (Post 3306289)
It's always enjoyable to watch the "classroom lawyers" probing for loopholes in a system. They expend far more effort exploring ways around the rules than they would by simply following them! :)

We get WAY too much of that crap here...

HATEnFATE 09-21-2009 10:31 PM

I'm not trying to be argumentative so please don't read into this that I am. I've done my time but this might be helpful to other people that slip up.............

I was just curious. I was wondering the whole time what I had done to merit the ban. I didn't even pay that much attention to the pic when I posted it to consider the cuss word that was in there. It was funny so I posted it.

I'm not trying to get around any loopholes. I understand that that picture broke the rules and I got banned. It just seems like the system was quick to jump to a ban instead of maybe a warning to say "hey, that picture/text/etc...was out of line" as a reminder.

Sometimes a judge extends a little lenience and gives you probation instead of throwing you in prison.

Sciond 09-21-2009 11:35 PM

Ok just to clarify it is like we discussed in pm. If I decide or another mod decides when to or not to follow the system as outlined it leads to a dangerous precedent which will ultimately lead to favoritism/unfairness etc...