Notices

Popular Mechanics tests 2009 xB vs. 2009 Cube vs. 2010 Soul

Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Popular Mechanics tests 2009 xB vs. 2009 Cube vs. 2010 Soul

LOS ANGELES—We've long respected the car that introduced us all to the boxy, small-car aesthetic—Scion's iconic xB. And more recently, we've been impressed by the spunk of the new Kia Soul and the superhip asymmetry of the Nissan Cube. As fuel prices continue to roller coaster, inexpensive cars with a small footprint—physically and environmentally—that can still deliver plenty of space will appear on more American shopping lists.

But how do these very different yet similarly boxy rivals stack up against one another? We decided to find out. So we took all three on a 300-plus-mile drive throughout Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties. We hit canyon roads, freeways and, yes, plenty of traffic too, to find out which is the King of the B-cars. —Ben Stewart of Popular Mechanics
To see how well the xB held it's own against the Cube and Soul, read the rest of the article here
Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shouldn't the Cube be compared to the xD which it is closer to in size and performance?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah who cares, the Cube is ugly anyway.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The new xB is not much of an econobox as the older gen, so the xD should be the one in comparison. Oh well.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I actually saw the Soul on the road Friday night in orange. It didn't look as horrible as I thought it would've looked.

Oh and that Soul has HUGE blind spots in the back. Bigger than my own c-pillar blind spots on my xD.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

can anyone post what the article says...im at work and cant get to the site...
Old 03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry Toyota..
I believe that the Cube will become the next box phenomena.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The cube is a turd (over 2800 lbs wtf??) and the soul won't hold its value like scion vehicles do. I'll keep my xb2.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i'm sorry but this is the stupidest comparison. the xB2 is bigger than the both of these cars and has so much more power. now if they used a 1st gen, it'd be a different story.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bBlover
i'm sorry but this is the stupidest comparison. the xB2 is bigger than the both of these cars and has so much more power. now if they used a 1st gen, it'd be a different story.
x1000
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cincinfocal
LOS ANGELES—We've long respected the car that introduced us all to the boxy, small-car aesthetic—Scion's iconic xB. And more recently, we've been impressed by the spunk of the new Kia Soul and the superhip asymmetry of the Nissan Cube. As fuel prices continue to roller coaster, inexpensive cars with a small footprint—physically and environmentally—that can still deliver plenty of space will appear on more American shopping lists.

But how do these very different yet similarly boxy rivals stack up against one another? We decided to find out. So we took all three on a 300-plus-mile drive throughout Los Angeles and Santa Barbara counties. We hit canyon roads, freeways and, yes, plenty of traffic too, to find out which is the King of the B-cars. —Ben Stewart

In terms of pure funk (coolness, not odor), none of these three has more of it than the Cube. The design is very simple, very Japanese and very hip. Underneath that sheet metal is the same chassis Nissan uses for the Versa. And the powertrain is the same too—a 1.8-liter four-cylinder that produces 122 hp and 127 pound-feet of torque, mated to a six-speed manual or Nissan's Xtronic CVT. Our $15,585 Cube S came with the CVT. Around town, the Cube and its CVT deliver sprightly acceleration. The steering is light and quick too. It was the easiest of these three to maneuver, into parking spaces and through shopping centers. The suspension is the supplest of the three—soaking up large potholes with ease. But once the road begins to curve, the Cube proves it isn't the sportiest box of this group. The suspension is soft, and the steering feels more artificial and less indicative of what those front wheels are actually doing than, say, the Kia. The Cube isn't sloppy; it's just not the best tool of these three for twisty roads.

On the freeway, the Cube had noticeably more wind noise than the other two. This little box has the smallest engine, and that meant it has less gusto and requires higher rpm levels to maintain speed up the large hills. When working hard, we thought the Cube had a coarser engine note than either the Soul or the Scion. Still, it delivered a solid 30.8 mpg—putting it in the middle of this pack.

Inside, the Cube is an amazingly fun place to spend time. The experience is more vanlike than the other two—it's shorter, taller and offers a great view from any window. And when the Cube is on the scene, the Scion and Soul are practically invisible to onlookers. Everyone swarms the Cube. When it comes to utility, we particularly liked the asymmetric rear door that offers two detents, one at about 9 inches and the other all the way open. Nissan smartly engineered this rear door to open away from the curb and that, along with a large opening, makes loading just about anything easy. Likewise, we found comfort in the rear seat: good for three adults thanks largely to the enormous headroom and flat floor. In terms of shoulder room, however, the Cube was tighter than the Soul or Scion. The Cube may not be the largest or sportiest here, but it does offer plenty of practicality, value and the freshest, most authentically quirky design of the bunch.

This might sound odd, but our $17,789 Scion was the most upscale and mature of the three boxes here. In this company, the Scion is the grownup. The xB is longer and wider than either the Cube or the Soul by a good margin and offers a much more powerful engine. Under the hood is a 158-hp 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 162 pound-feet of torque paired to a five-speed manual. The combination delivered spirited around-town performance and plenty of passing power and torque for long freeway grades. In a drag race, the Scion would probably beat the Soul by a nose and the Cube by several car lengths. Yes, for this class of vehicles, the xB is quick. It's the one you'd feel most comfortable taking on a cross-country road trip.

The xB may be the long-distance cruiser but it isn't the sportiest drive here. On our canyon-road section, the xB felt sure-footed, but its large size meant there was more body roll, more mass to handle and a stability-control system that came on often and intrusively. The power and sophisticated shift action of the five-speed manual meant it was still fun to drive. But not nearly as much as the Kia.

When it came to hauling people and cargo, the Scion won big. The rear seat offered the most shoulder and hip room of the three. If you've got to haul five passengers, the xB is the best choice. We also liked the Scion's dash and comfy fold-down armrest. The xB may be the largest and most powerful here, but that added weight and zip resulted in a slightly lower 28.6-mpg than the other two.

It's not often that a car's name actually matches its personality. But for the $17,645 Kia Soul Sport, the name fits. The Soul Sport was easily the most fun to drive of the three boxes here. On our canyon section, the Kia's sport suspension and robust 142-hp, 2.0-liter Four made short work of the switchbacks. The large 18-inch tires offered the most grip, and the steering provided the kind of tactile feedback through the wheel that a sporty car should. In terms of acceleration, the Soul felt nearly as quick as the Scion, and the Sport's five-speed manual was only a tick or two less refined than the Scion's.

The Soul had the firmest ride of the group, although on the freeway the "thwack" of those 18-inch low-profile tires can get tiresome. Like the Scion, the Soul has more than enough power to pass and maintain speed on long hills. And yet at the end of our trip, the sporty Soul delivered the best fuel economy—31.2 mpg.

In terms of design, the Soul was the least boxy of the group. But its flared fenders and big wheels gave this little car a muscular stance. The dash—with its cool red inserts—is perhaps the most innovative of any Kia thus far. When our three testers piled into the back seat we agreed the cushion was the most comfy of the three. Hip and shoulder clearance provided a hair less room than in the Scion. When we opened the hatch, the Kia's major shortcoming was finally exposed: the hatch opening, for loading large objects, is just too small.

The Bottom Line
After one very long day testing these three boxes back-to-back over a variety of road conditions, each car's unique personality bubbled to the surface. The Cube is the roomy and hip city car. The Scion is the powerful long-distance hauler. And the Soul Sport is the canyon carver of the group. Picking a winner is never easy. But this time, the edge goes to Kia. The speed, both in a straight line and on a windy road, the efficiency and the overall grin-inducing persona of the Soul Sport made it our favorite.

Specs
Base Price /
As Tested Engine Trans. Tires Dimensions Cargo Volume Curb Weight EPA Fuel Econ. Tested Fuel Econ.
NISSAN CUBE S $13,990 /
$15,585 122 hp/127 lb-ft of torque, 1.8L I-4 CVT P195/60R15 156.7" l
66.7" w
65.0" h 58.1
cu. ft. 2,829 lbs. mid-20s mpg / 30 mpg - City/Highway (est.) Combined City/Highway: 30.8 mpg
SCION xB $15,750 /
$17,789 158 hp/162 lb-ft of torque, 2.4L I-4 5-Speed Manual P205/55R16 167.3"
69.3" w
64.7" h 69.9
cu. ft. 3,020 lbs. 22 mpg / 28 mpg - City/Highway Combined City/Highway: 28.6 mpg
KIA SOUL SPORT $13,300 /
$17,645 142 hp/137 lb-ft. of torque, 2.0L I-4 5-Speed Manual P225/45R18 161.6"
70.3" w
63.4" h 53.4
cu. ft. 2,800 lbs. 24 mpg / 30 mpg - City/Highway Combined City/Highway: 31.2 mpg
Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM
S_B

I saw a soul for the first time the other day at a kia lot. Andits not too bad I wouldn't want one. It has the nose of a mini. And that cube is just UUGly!!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would take a Cube over the Soul anyday. The Soul just tried to SUCK the soul from the xB1 and xB2. In originality, I'd give it a D+. But of course, I'd take my xB2 over both of them, anyday.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by S_B
I saw a soul for the first time the other day at a kia lot. Andits not too bad I wouldn't want one. It has the nose of a mini. And that cube is just UUGly!!
theyre both too late to market!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i disagree about the power difference between the 2. while yes its a 15hp or so difference, you do have to factor in that the soul weights about 200--250lbs less...
Old 03-10-2009, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unxpectederror
i disagree about the power difference between the 2. while yes its a 15hp or so difference, you do have to factor in that the soul weights about 200--250lbs less...
That's if you are talking crank horsepower, it depends on how much loss the kia has. Also, 200lbs could be the difference between the drivers if you have a heavy guy in one and a lighter guy in the other, or even cargo/passengers/etc. There are too many factors when talking weight to power ratio between two cars, especially if you are just talking daily driving.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

im not saying the kia soul is faster, just that it would be a close race in a straight line. however based on this review the kia would be the better auto track car due to better handling... not that you would wanna use ether as a track car though haha.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Some of you Cube haters are probably the same ones that said the 1st Gen xB was UGLY!
We'll wait and see what happens...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 AM

I don't like the soul, I really like the cube, and I'm buying an xB2. So you know how I feel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popular Mechanics tests 2009 xB vs. 2009 Cube vs. 2010 Soul