Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Some dealers losing cars to Manufacturers

Originally Posted by KOMO Radio
Here's a weird symptom of the disease that's killing the auto industry — empty car dealerships, some of which are still open for business.

KOMO 1000 [a Pacific Northwest radio station] has a story about two [local] Nissan dealerships and a Subaru dealer where hundreds of new cars and trucks have been seized by the manufacturer — placed on semi trucks and spirited away to parts unknown.
http://consumerist.com/5173710/where...om-dealerships

This has also been happening at various GM dealerships nationwide, but I have not yet heard of it happening at Toyota/Scion dealerships.

Let the rest of us know if you see this happening in your area, ESPECIALLY at any Toyota/Scion shops...

Bad times are here, worst times are coming. It's ugly out there.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

this happened to a mitsu dealer in town....toyota is doing decent here
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lies all of it. Enjoy freedom while it last! Don't believe anything they tell you!
Anyway, weird. I wonder where they are going.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

This happened to an Infiniti dealership, I used to work for...

A friend told me that this dealership got their new and used cars seized by the banks. They couldn't pay their bills. Oh well, good thing I went to Nissan...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this to me makes no sense...dealerships have cars they can't pay for because they can't sell enough of them...so the manufacturers who depend on the dealerships to sell them come and take them away...what are they going to do with them? sell them to an auction company? the manufacturers can't sell them to anybody...on their own can they? maybe just move them to a dealership that is having better sales...
Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know in australia there is / was an issue with GMAC / genworth that these banks owned the cars NOT the manufacturer and the banks are taking the cars / not buying them
Old 03-19-2009, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My toy dealer is booming service wise, but no sales. I had 3 sales people attack me they went new then used cars, why I needed both. I explained I had an 09 xb in the shop and a 97 tacoma at home, they left.

I use to work for a company that handled aichi trucks. They had a buy back agrement, if we could not sell the trucks, they would buy em back, so all we had to do was put em on the lot and demo them. We sold them without the buy back.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

A Nissan dealership near my home disappeared within a week. Not really sure of the reason but they were there one week and gone the next. Dealership in question was located in Mission Hills, CA.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:27 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Banks own the cars in most cases. Dealerships have what is called a "floor plan" in that, when new cars are scheduled for delivery to the dealer, the paperwork also goes to the bank which has the floor plan for the dealer.

The bank pays GMC, Ford, etc.

While the unsold cars sit on the dealers lot, he pays interest only to the bank on the outstanding notes. When the car is sold, the dealer pays-off the note.

Banks regularly send reps to the dealership to check inventory; it's not unknown for a dealer to sell a car and not immediately pay for it. Bad idea; it's a good way to get your floor plan pulled.

Obviously, these dealers cannot even pay the interest on their notes.

They've been repossessed by the banks.

And they can be sold.

I used to be the F&I at a Lincoln/Mercury dealership. My husband was with one of the financiers who held our floor plan. An advantage, too, of holding the floor plan is that the dealership will finance their loans through the same bank.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 PM
bc
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
this to me makes no sense...dealerships have cars they can't pay for because they can't sell enough of them...so the manufacturers who depend on the dealerships to sell them come and take them away...what are they going to do with them? sell them to an auction company? the manufacturers can't sell them to anybody...on their own can they? maybe just move them to a dealership that is having better sales...
move them to other dealerships is the answer. This isn't something new, back during the 70's oil embargo it was a lot worse. The dealerships that are closing shop were on the verge if doing that anyways. In many cases another dealer has purchased the franchise but is moving the inventory to their current location to keep costs down, specially if the dealerhip losing the vehicles is renting their property. For example, Criswell purchased the local Nissan dealerhsip in Gaithersburg, MD and is moving the vehicles to their Germantown location. We even purchased a number of Sienna's from a Toyota dealership in WV that is struggling to boost our inventory. Hopefully the WV dealership survives this.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the cars seized around here went to the auction blocks
Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

No worries Tomas. We're doing fine here in SPFD MO
Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

alot of the used car dealerships are completely bare now, the dealerships i'm not sure about i just know they've canceld their big 'tent event' sale for this year.... toyota/scion dealership is selling quite a bit lately still (toyotas )
Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well news channels have been saying that more people are 1. fixing up their old cars instead of buying new cars. and then that the sales of used luxury cars is higher than before. and then new cars are being priced to be less than used cars of the same make and model....
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

now the news story is it's better to buy a new ar than a used car. I wonder who was behind that story? GM maybe?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:31 PM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If the dealers are cutting their profit low enough to compete with used cars, it IS a better deal to buy new. If nothing else, look at the freebies (warranty, rebates, free maintenance, lifetime tires, and more). Less instant drive-off-the-lot depreciation too.