Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Default Toyota Considers Building Scion in U.S., Part 2

just to refresh -- rumors earlier this year reported that Scions were to be built in Canada at the new Toyota plant being built. these rumors have since been squashed. but now, this: ( from insideline)
Date Posted 10-14-2005

TOKYO — Toyota is thinking about building Scion vehicles in the United States, according to a story in a Japanese newspaper.

The Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun reported Toyota could use spare capacity at Subaru's underused Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) plant in Indiana to build the Scion, the super-successful Toyota youth brand that sold 100,000 units in 2004.

The paper said Toyota originally planned to build the Scion at its second, $650 million Canadian plant, in Cambridge, Ontario, which will start to build the new RAV4 in 2008. But the automaker has since calculated that it could go into SIA with less initial investment and could make ends meet even with small cars that have low profit margins, the paper reported.

Things evidently are moving fast with the Toyota-Subaru tie-up, announced October 5. Toyota now has bought an 8.7-percent stake in Fuji Heavy Industries, Subaru's parent company, for about $315 million. And already the Japanese media has reported Toyota wants to build 100,000 extra cars a year in the United States using SIA production lines. Subaru, in turn, is looking to reduce costs by tapping into Toyota's supplier base, and reportedly has already asked Toyota to supply it with a new small car to sell in Europe.

What this means to you: Scion is primed to go big time in the United States, with a little help from Subaru.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just don't buy the idea that they are going to have subaru manufacture scions.. unless the ceo of toyota is a liar.. he already said scions would continue to be made in japan..

but thanks for the info..
Old 10-15-2005, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default toyota working with suburu

I work for a auto manufacturer and from what I've seen all the car companies today are tied in with each other. We are currently working with other manufactures on a " world engine" to be used in imports and domestics?!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

why build it in the US? the reason why i got my xB is because its 100% made in Japan...
Old 10-15-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah bB626, exactly.. after all that "yelling" online about don't make it in n. america.. the ceo of toyota said that they wouldn't shift production.. hopefully he's telling the truth.. i like my tC is built in japan!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Me too!!! That is why I want a Scion not US made!!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

KAD
SL Member

i wish they would make more scions period!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...i want more models , not more xAs , xBs or tCs.
...the two seater conv....the slick 4dr...the urban pickup..
...Toyota , now knows ( with high gas costs ) people want cool little well-equipted vehicles .
Old 10-15-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I simply like the idea that my tC is made in japan ... specifically for the us.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That suks cause its means that the Price will be higher. Design and Motor might be made different than Japan. Engine might not be as powerful as before since the Americans would make the car. Its like Scion mix with Chevy all together imagine that ewwww!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wreck
That suks cause its means that the Price will be higher. Design and Motor might be made different than Japan. Engine might not be as powerful as before since the Americans would make the car. Its like Scion mix with Chevy all together imagine that ewwww!
Actually it would keep the cost down. Indiana is pretty close to Toyota's North American Technical Center in Michigan. None of the Scions are that powerful. All motor specs are designed by Toyota engineers. Power is limited by emissions (CAlifornia motors seems to be the lowest compared to other states), people's mind set of paying for a powerful car, and purpose. Americans have made the Camry for some time. Even the Tacoma are made by UAW-GM workers at NUMMI and a few newer Taco's made in Mexico.

Speaking of Toyota mixing with Chevy: Chevy Prism=Toyota Corolla. Pontiac Vibe=Toyota Matrix Reasons why the Prisms continue to move around is because most if not all specifications for that car was primarily designed by Toyota especially the powerplant.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats actually a smart business move for Toyota to build scions in the US since They will not have to import cars anymore.. Which will eliminate tairiffs. (for the idiots) thats the taxes on imports.. its all about saving money.. I say go Toyota I'm very satisfied with my xB who cars if its built in the USA?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:56 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oooo indiana = cheaper parts and its local!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by burkpe
Thats actually a smart business move for Toyota to build scions in the US since They will not have to import cars anymore.. Which will eliminate tairiffs. (for the idiots) thats the taxes on imports.. its all about saving money.. I say go Toyota I'm very satisfied with my xB who cars if its built in the USA?
Those of us that have driven Ford's over the past 10 years certainly care if a car is built in the US! The tarriff argument is not valid since they would have to pay higher labor costs in the US. Toyota is a smart company, they built Scions in Japan for a reason and it has worked out great for them. Why would they change that?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Japan is one of the most expensive countrys in the world to live in do you really think they pay their laborers less than what they would in the US.. Reguardless I'm sure that the labor and tairiff rates would ultimatly be more than making a car in the U.S. not to mention shipping all the way from Japan to the U.S.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wreck
As Powerful? As what?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

they better build it in the USA... they are farming out to many of the USA Job to forign contries.... That what happens with have a guy like bush that let these thing happen... Bush Can Kiss My azz!!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

some of u guys are lame. jus bc the car is gonna be built in the U.S doesnt mean its gonna be ____. The reason their built in japan in the first place was because japan was already manufacturing the xA,xB (iSt, bB). I think its better cause scion is in high demand, and theres always none at the dealership. and like marshall said, more jobs.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eight08customs
they better build it in the USA... they are farming out to many of the USA Job to forign contries.... That what happens with have a guy like bush that let these thing happen... Bush Can Kiss My azz!!
Read what you just wrote!!!! Its no wonder the manufacturers feel the need to go outside the US for labor.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read what you just wrote!!!! Its no wonder the manufacturers feel the need to go outside the US for labor.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly

Quick Reply: Toyota Considers Building Scion in U.S., Part 2