Notices

Would this commercial make you want to buy a Scion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Scionlife Editor

Default Would this commercial make you want to buy a Scion?

Filed under: Coupe, Marketing/Advertising, Videos, Scion, Toyota

Toyota, now all about getting its groove back, changed its ad slogan to "Let's Go Places." Scion, meanwhile, advertises the FR-S (Toyota 86) around the world with drift-happy regional launch videos and, in the UK, scenes of dystopian breakout. But in this corner of the world, before Scion went mature, we remember when it had hip, DJ-driven spots with editing as edgy as the image it was trying to promote.

Which brings us to this 30-second spec ad, created by YouTube users Marcus Stokes and Marko Mandaric. Heavy on the bass and VFX, it pitches the FR-S in Scion's original style. And even though the FR-S is the easy offering to slot in, we suspect the vibe might do favors for the tC and, pushing things, even the iQ simply because it's so left-field. So while we try and figure out whether the FR-S means Scion's got its goove back, you can check out the video below.Continue reading Would this commercial make you want to buy a Scion?

Would this commercial make you want to buy a Scion? originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 15 Sep 2012 10:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM
SL Member

This is my first post so please let me know what may/may not be acceptable for this post. Thanks. :D

First off, is anyone else having troubles with the link? Here is a direct link to the video on Youtube:

Now for the question of "Would this make you want to buy a FR-S?" My answer is it would be a great launch video, and it would definitely make me want to learn more about the FR-S but not entirely go buy one. If there was another video giving a better detailing about the car, specs, pricing/feature ratio, then maybe yes, but it would still depend on the information given in that video.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:47 AM

It's a good yet simple commercial. I don't understand why they don't air more Scion commercials. I see Toyota ever break on TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i already have a scion and no this commercial won't make me buy a new one... i just fast forward 'em on the dvr... cause i see them all the time O_O
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the ad and I like the song but it would not make me buy a scion. Also I don't think the lyrics in the song are the best for a brand name that's starting to fail.

This is the kind of ad that would and did make me buy a scion.
http://youtu.be/nEdSglFfooY
Old 09-23-2012, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well aside from the negative comments I love the creativity. Excellent work. Its a simple yet hip commercial. Love how it comes off first as a sound bar and then comes together as like a Rubix cube only to fall all at once to reveal the FRS.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:38 AM

That's pretty good. Toyota has been doing its best to make a good profit with their marketing strategies. It's not a secret that Scion, Toyota's budget manufacturer, markets heavily to younger drivers in order to get them to the Toyota fold as soon as possible. The Scion marketing department, however, is expanding its appeals to make an effort to attract heavy metal fans. The idea behind Scion marketing to metal heads is that they believe they are “undervalued” as a market.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by goldtoaster
I like the ad and I like the song but it would not make me buy a scion. Also I don't think the lyrics in the song are the best for a brand name that's starting to fail.

This is the kind of ad that would and did make me buy a scion.
http://youtu.be/nEdSglFfooY
I agree, your commercial would make me want to buy a SCION. But the fan-made commercial would make me want to buy an FR-S, no doubt. I watched that commercial twice that's how much I liked it. But the older commercial is just as badass. I remember seeing that on TV a few years ago not knowing what Scion really was all about. Now I know.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This was the commercial that drew me in initially. When the slogan on all the comercials was Become one of us by becoming none of us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

It was the appeal of being able to change the car so much that it would stand out. I have the only gen 2 xB in my whole town and I like that. So many people see my car and wonder what it is. When I tell them its a scion most people are like oh! and they instantly realize its a Toaster.

Last edited by xB_Toaster; 10-09-2012 at 09:01 AM.