Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

2007 tC Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 PM
SL Member

Default 2007 tC Replacement Key

I've heard and read different things but can I take the 2007 key to Lowes/Home Depot and get copies made?

I really don't want to pay the 300-400 from the dealer. My back up key snapped out of the remote and it's extremely hard to use.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2017 at 12:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2017, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Replacement Keys

Keys for the tC have transponder chips that need to be programmed with the car in order for the car to turn on. Keys with out the chip will fit turn the lock in the ignition but won't turn the car on.

You can however purchase keys with transponder chips online and have them cut. From here, one option is to replace the transponder chip from new cut key with the chip of an old key.

Alternatively, you can take all your keys (including the keys that are currently programmed for the car) to the dealer and have them programmed. This can cost about ~$140 depending on the dealer.

From my understanding, the dealer needs all the keys present when programming the new keys since they can't add keys to the list of already programmed keys, they have to add all the keys as a set.

I might be wrong on this, so if this is not the case anymore please feel free to correct me.

Also, key fobs can be programmed with out the dealer.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2017 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 AM

Default Key fob

Originally Posted by tCi06
Keys for the tC have transponder chips that need to be programmed with the car in order for the car to turn on. Keys with out the chip will fit turn the lock in the ignition but won't turn the car on.

You can however purchase keys with transponder chips online and have them cut. From here, one option is to replace the transponder chip from new cut key with the chip of an old key.

Alternatively, you can take all your keys (including the keys that are currently programmed for the car) to the dealer and have them programmed. This can cost about ~$140 depending on the dealer.

From my understanding, the dealer needs all the keys present when programming the new keys since they can't add keys to the list of already programmed keys, they have to add all the keys as a set.

I might be wrong on this, so if this is not the case anymore please feel free to correct me.

Also, key fobs can be programmed with out the dealer.
I bought mine for $20 on Amazon. Look up Keyless2go. I then found a video on YouTube and programed it myself. This was for my 2009 Scion tC.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: typo correction