Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Black Grillcraft grill installed without stock grill!! PIX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BIGRKtC
Is there anyway to install the grillcraft with the crome frame around it
no, it wont match up right and the chrome will stick out a lil
Old 05-19-2005, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by BIGRKtC
Is there anyway to install the grillcraft with the crome frame around it
the whole purpose of gettin this grill was to loose the chrome.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCAV8R
It does look good but needs to match the bottom. I know you said your lower one is coming in.
Grillcraft should listen to what people have been saying since the tC came out.
Why don't they make it with a frame around it for the top one? Why not make it so things behind the grill, i.e. horns/wires, wouldn't be seen? This is what the majority of people here are asking for. Make it, price it right, people will buy it.
heres the thing. i dunno if you have actually taken your bumper off and looked at how your grill is set in there. the upper grill frame is held in by clips mounted into the back of the bumper so it sits there firmly. there is no where to drill holes for the top of the grillcraft grill except for the stock grills frame. grillcraft's purpose is for an easy install, and using the grills frame that is held in by clips attached to the bumper was the easiest and most secure way to install the upper grill.

the bottom grillcraft grill doesn't need the stock grill behind it because it has places where you can drill at the top and bottom for it to sit securely (spelling). i doubt grillcraft is going to design a new upper grill, but if other grill manufacturers are planning on making a grill, they might encounter the same problem unless they can fabricate something that will fit into the clips behind the front bumper.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Ok, so you missed where I said that grillcraft should make a frame for theirs that is identical to the stock one. Problem solved.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCAV8R
Ok, so you missed where I said that grillcraft should make a frame for theirs that is identical to the stock one. Problem solved.
i didnt miss it. ;)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We had a local customer purchase the 3 piece lower grille and upper grille for their Scion tC. This customer has the stock body kit from Scion and we wanted to see how difficult it would be to have the lower grilles fit. We did not do the vent grilles because they would not sit flush on the bumper with stock body kit. Check out the finished product below.

Upper and Center Lower Grille Installed

This is a picture of the upper and lower grille installed. We did not use the stock grilles to install either grille. Check out the pictures below to see how we did this without any stock grilles or any extra parts!

Lower Grille with Stock Scion Body Kit

First we removed the lower stock grille, and placed our Grillcraft grille in the opening to see how it would fit.

Next, we secured the lower grille using the center lower tab and the hardware included with the kit. We made sure the front of the grille was pushed tightly against the front lip.

After the grille was attached in the bottom center, we had to attach the two sides of the grille to the bumper. This was accomplished by using the hardware included with the kit. Either side of the grille has tabs just like the bottom center of the grille. We used that tab along with one screw and one metal tab from Grillcraft. We then pinched the bumper between the grille tab and metal tab. Please check out the pictures below.

Below is a picture of the lower grille installed.

Upper Grille Without Using the Stock Grille or Any Additional Parts

First remove the stock grille and chrome ring. This is done from the back of the bumper.

Next align the grille in the opening and drille a hole for the center lower tab. Then using the metal clip and one screw provided by Grillcraft, attach the center grille.

Next we attached the two upper tabs to the top of the bumper. We used the metal clips provided by Grillcraft and pinched the bumper between the metal clip. We then put the screw through the upper tab on the grille and the metal clip which secured the grille to the bumper.

Upper grille installed.

And again here is a picture of the finished product!

If anyone has questions about the install, feel free to ask us or call us toll free at 1-877-NAMOTORS.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you take the bumeper off, just the screws in the wheel well and three underneath?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not a fan. really, no disrespect, but i'll wait for the 1.0 grills to be sold aftermarket unless someone makes a beefier black out. that one is glorified chicken wire imo, and with a can of black spray, i can cut that grill out at home depot.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
not a fan. really, no disrespect, but i'll wait for the 1.0 grills to be sold aftermarket unless someone makes a beefier black out. that one is glorified chicken wire imo, and with a can of black spray, i can cut that grill out at home depot.
its way thicker than chicken wire and the paint is very thick. Up close it looks nothing like chicken wire. oh well. The RS grille is sweet too but for $1000, hell no. You can easily find the same material used for the RS grill pretty easily online and will cost much less.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a reply from Grillcraft. The brackets are a no go. Thier tooling is done for the scion so basically dont expect any other design from grillcraft for the tC. I was hoping that they would accomadate us with fog lights and body kits but they said they arent going to retool at this point. Oh well

If anyone local wants thier grill installed ill make the same brackets and do a step by step on how to make them with measurments and lots of pics.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

yeh... these grillcraft grills are no chicken wire. they are very sturdy and wont bend. :D
Old 06-01-2005, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Boricua
How do you take the bumeper off, just the screws in the wheel well and three underneath?
It's 2 screws on each side of the bumper in the wheel well, I believe 5 underneath and then a couple tabs on top under the hood. It's very easy
Old 06-02-2005, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Harmonic tC
Originally Posted by surfcity40
its way thicker than chicken wire and the paint is very thick. Up close it looks nothing like chicken wire. oh well. The RS grille is sweet too but for $1000, hell no. You can easily find the same material used for the RS grill pretty easily online and will cost much less.
again, i'm not disrespecting one's choice in buying this grill. of course it's not as malleable as chicken wire. heck , it doesn't resemble chicken wire at all. it was a simile. i was just expressing my sentiments about how it appears to me. i don't want to buy a grill with a fit and finish that looks like it was made from home depot hardware and to me that is what it looks like. to each their own, no biggie.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats cool, i understand
Old 06-02-2005, 08:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty sure my GrillCrafts look way better than the stupid RS Grill, that one really looks like hell...

I dunno how someone would even put down the name Grillcraft, as I have always thought them to be the number one Manufacturers of aftermarket grills anyways...enjoy your stock Scion Grill then surfboy.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Calling the RS 1.0 grill 'stupid' doesn't make sense...

Originally Posted by CyRaX2007
Pretty sure my GrillCrafts look way better than the stupid RS Grill, that one really looks like hell...

I dunno how someone would even put down the name Grillcraft, as I have always thought them to be the number one Manufacturers of aftermarket grills anyways...enjoy your stock Scion Grill then surfboy.
if you are going to take so much time, trouble and expense (edited: omitted mention of using zip ties in response to next post) to make yours look so similar.

If the RS didn't exist and someone offered that grill (that attaches the way it does) for the same price as the GrillCraft, which one would be in your car? Try to keep a straight face when you answer...

Can't we all just get along...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Lower Grille Install

Being the person that did the Grillcraft grille install on the above tC, I would like to clarify that we did NOT use zip ties!! The Grillcraft grilles on the tC above were installed using all the hardware that came with the grilles. These were installed without using any factory grille piece as a backing and without purchasing anything additional. The only cost was the cost of the Grillcraft grilles themselves. The complete step by step install can be viewed on the previous page, so you can see exactly how this was accomplished.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CyRaX2007
Pretty sure my GrillCrafts look way better than the stupid RS Grill, that one really looks like hell...I dunno how someone would even put down the name Grillcraft, as I have always thought them to be the number one Manufacturers of aftermarket grills anyways...enjoy your stock Scion Grill then surfboy.
yeah, you tell 'im! stupid RS grill....it's stupid.
so there.

bye the way, i didn't put down the name grillcraft. i said your grill looks you made it from home depot parts. maybe it's the install, not the grill, but it looks homemade.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I DONT HAVE ZIPTIES ANYMORE! haha (and yes im yelling)
Old 06-03-2005, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"looks homemade"

its grillcraft, straight from the company -- they no nothing about making aftermarket grills

why dont u go run along and watch some more OC cali___

Quick Reply: Black Grillcraft grill installed without stock grill!! PIX