Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-aero-exterior-1636/)
-   -   A different Headlight question? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-aero-exterior-1636/different-headlight-question-235917/)

1lowufo 03-25-2018 02:34 PM

A different Headlight question?

Have an 08 w/projectors. Have spent a fortune on bulbs to get a brighter/wider light at night. At the present I have Sylvania 'Silverstar Ultra' H11.
Should have known projectors squeeze the light beam. Going to find, or purchase non-projectors. I know the sockets are different (H11 to 9005).

Anything else I should know before I splice a few wires?
Thanks.

Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

xdejablu3x 11-04-2018 02:57 AM

Dude just get yourself an HID kit for those projectors. They cost just as much, if not cheaper than those silver stars. Get them in 5K. They are brighter and last longer. It also depend what kind of projectors you're running.

Big_Jim 11-04-2018 04:44 AM

I agree. Grab a set of 5K HIDs.

1lowufo 11-04-2018 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reply's, Should I look for '4 sided' or '2 sided' HIDs ? Any particular brand you can suggest?

Big_Jim 11-06-2018 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1lowufo (Post 4291779)
Thanks for the reply's, Should I look for '4 sided' or '2 sided' HIDs ? Any particular brand you can suggest?

I think what you're referring to are LED bulbs.

backroad101 02-12-2019 01:30 AM

I agree. Go HID, maybe LED. I had a Mazda6 (has projectors) and went through a handful of those "superbright" halogens that are suppose to have an HID look. None of them last, even when wearing gloves and cleaning them before installing. Most are just coated bulbs rather than the glass being tinted. Went HID and they lasted years past when I sold the car. Plus the light is way better than the halogens.
In the tC (non-projectors) I am using eBay LEDs. They are ok. The tC is only a to and from work car so night performance not a priority for now but do still do ok.

dogg 02-12-2019 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x (Post 4291775)
Dude just get yourself an HID kit for those projectors. They cost just as much, if not cheaper than those silver stars. Get them in 5K. They are brighter and last longer. It also depend what kind of projectors you're running.

any suggestions for which kit??? i tried a kit couple years ago, dont remember the name, but ended up destroying my alternator...trust me all was hooked up correctly...maybe just bad juju, but been reluctant to try again...

backroad101 02-12-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dogg (Post 4292764)
any suggestions for which kit??? i tried a kit couple years ago, dont remember the name, but ended up destroying my alternator...trust me all was hooked up correctly...maybe just bad juju, but been reluctant to try again...

I have HIDs in my other 2 cars (one with projectors one without). I think in the car without projectors I had DDM HIDs at first and like them. The only thing I don't like is the headlight on that car are a combined hi and low beam so for high beams all it does is a mechanism kicks up the position of the bulb to simulate high beams. That feature did fail on one of them (which cause them to fail inspection) so i think I switch to some Opt7. Those work and look pretty good, luckily, as that is the car I would drive at night the most. I may switch to LEDs on that car simply to get better high/low functionality. Have not looked into it yet. Guess that part of it would not apply to the tC as they have separate high/low.

On my other car with the projectors, I also have some Opt7s (different model kit) While they look good, I am not 100% pleased with the light output as compared to the other car and sometimes one side gets confused with the auto-on lights and does not come on. Usually will come on if I cancel the auto-on part. This is a fun car with limited night driving so not a big issue in this situation for me.

Have not had any issues with electrical systems when running these HIDs

On the tC (non-projectors) I went cheap with some eBay LEDs as it is a $2k car I only bought to drive to work :-)

I have another brand that I liked and worked very well with projectors that I had on my previous Mazda6. Funny when cleaning this weekend I came across the box. Can't remember the brand name but the box is still in the recycle bin. Will post it when i get home :-)