Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-aero-exterior-1636/)
-   -   Fixing Bondo / Estimate (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-aero-exterior-1636/fixing-bondo-estimate-194457/)

bcp06tc 10-13-2010 11:54 PM

Like I said, if its cracking then they would fix it by stripping and re-applying

yellowxhoodie 10-14-2010 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by tCtCtC (Post 3703823)
But the thing is, I don't know if I was to dump the extra $1000 to fix it, because when it becomes time to resell, it's only going to add up to $300 to the cars value. Would a shop be able to just fix the bondo only? Not fill in the dent etc etc, but JUST the bondo itself?

well i guess thats something you need to take into consideration.
how long do you plan on keeping the car? and how much does it bother you?

and any reputable shop will prob not try to slap more bondo on there. If its a legit shop they should either

A.) Take everything the other shop did off and do it all from "scratch"

or

B.) Refuse to do the work

Think about it from the shops point of view, they dont really know what it looks like underneath the paint, so if you ask them to slap on more bondo, chances are it will crack and chip again, therefore they wont want to do it because it will lead to them having an unsatisfied customer, bad reputation, warranty work, etc.

tCtCtC 10-14-2010 01:53 AM

Honestly, I'm probably not going to want the car in 5-6 years. The dent doesn't bother me at all, but the chipping bondo does. Also, what I meant by fixing the bondo, is strip off all of the old material, apply any new material it needed, and repaint, but don't try to fix any of the dent itself. Does that make sense?

yellowxhoodie 10-14-2010 02:00 AM

it depends how bad the dent is.

like someone said earlier, if you put bondo on to thick it will crack no matter what.

bcp06tc 10-14-2010 02:27 AM

Yeah, it might be better to just strip all the old stuff off and slap some primer on the sheet metal to keep it from rusting. If the dent doesn't bother you would primer? That would be the easiest and cheapest way to take care of it

tCtCtC 10-14-2010 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie (Post 3703940)
it depends how bad the dent is.

like someone said earlier, if you put bondo on to thick it will crack no matter what.

Well, the thing is I don't see why there's bondo on it in the first place. Judging by what I see on the interior panel, all of it is still one piece, none of it was ever cut out and all of it looks smooth. So what I'm thinking is strip all of the bondo off, but it seems to extend almost on the entire panel.

Originally Posted by bcp06tc (Post 3703965)
Yeah, it might be better to just strip all the old stuff off and slap some primer on the sheet metal to keep it from rusting. If the dent doesn't bother you would primer? That would be the easiest and cheapest way to take care of it

Primer would bother me more than it is right now. I don't mind the dent, because it really isn't noticeable. What makes it stand out is the chipping bondo. Do you think a shop would even need to lay a new layer onto it?

bcp06tc 10-14-2010 01:19 PM

if you dont want the dent fixed then there is no need to put more bondo on it, so they wouldnt have to put a new layer on they would just strip it off... but its easy enough to do yourself but like you said, the bondo seems to go up the whole panel do you know exactly where the bondo ends and its just sheet metal?

tCtCtC 10-15-2010 04:09 AM

I'll strip the bondo myself, and take it to a shop for paint. I'm not sure where it stops, cuz it seems like theres patches all along the quarter panel. So what I was thinking of doing was just strip whatever is chipping, then sand anything else down so it's even with the sheet metal.

What would you suggest be the easiest way to strip it? I was thinking of using a scraper w/ a hammer, and 120 grit sandpaper if needed.

bcp06tc 10-15-2010 03:59 PM

yeah, i would say some paint thinner but you cant use that lol... just use whatever works best, id say a hammer and a centerpunch and maybe a small pry bar... but whatever works for you and causes the least amount of damage to the car lol