Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

My paint rant!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
SL Member

Default My paint rant!

Ok, I love my tC that I got new last year. My only real problem I have with it is the cheap paint job. I have discovered 2 more stone chips that go all the way to the bare metal of the car. I found one on the passengers side door that happened sometime last winter and have recently found 2 more on the hood. This car has never been down a gravel road and I don't drive behind any trucks that carry gravel or anything of the sort. This ____es me off because my previous vehicle was a 2000 4Runner which took a lot more abuse and I never had a stone chip that went down to the bare metal in the 4yrs that I had it. The closer I look at my car I notice that the layer of clearcoat is extremly weak. I also have a lot of chips in the bumper that go down to the plastic, but that's just ABS plastic which is cheap and it doesn't rust so it's easy to care for. My stone chips all have rust started on them and it just sucks because I try to take great care of my car and this type of stuff happens.

Sorry for the rant but I had to let off some steam about this and I figured if anyone could relate it would be the peeps on the scionlife forums.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

From what I understand, all cars 2004+ have cheap paint (not just scion or toyota). It has to do with regulations from the EPA from what I understand. The only way to get a better thicker paint job is to re-paint your car at a proper body shop.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or do a very good wax job and it will hold up better you gotta do like 4 layer waxing job
Old 07-28-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mines an 06....

Not too Many Chips......I have 2 layer wax job too.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

touch up paint =]
Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yep all paint on new cars short of luxury cars is done cheaply by robots at a factory and not put on thick or well......get used to touch up paint and learning how to clean them up with small brush,2000grit sandpaper,rubbing compound,and polish and wax...you get good at it after about the 15th one....lol
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
yep all paint on new cars short of luxury cars is done cheaply by robots at a factory and not put on thick or well......get used to touch up paint and learning how to clean them up with small brush,2000grit sandpaper,rubbing compound,and polish and wax...you get good at it after about the 15th one....lol
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have, well.. had, a chip like that on my hood too. the only thing is i havent driven my car for a while and it was not there when i parked it, and one day i go out, and theres a crater of paint missing. im wondering if someone threw something at my car
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have 72k miles on my 20065 bsp. The entire front of my car looks like swiss cheese and sandblasted. makes me cringe everytime i run my hands over it. and yes its the paint i have clay-barred in the past didnt do much. my dads 2005 volvo v50 has 120K miles and his paint is flawless
Old 07-30-2009, 08:26 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cadilak78
Ok, I love my tC that I got new last year. My only real problem I have with it is the cheap paint job. I have discovered 2 more stone chips that go all the way to the bare metal of the car. I found one on the passengers side door that happened sometime last winter and have recently found 2 more on the hood. This car has never been down a gravel road and I don't drive behind any trucks that carry gravel or anything of the sort. This ____es me off because my previous vehicle was a 2000 4Runner which took a lot more abuse and I never had a stone chip that went down to the bare metal in the 4yrs that I had it. The closer I look at my car I notice that the layer of clearcoat is extremly weak. I also have a lot of chips in the bumper that go down to the plastic, but that's just ABS plastic which is cheap and it doesn't rust so it's easy to care for. My stone chips all have rust started on them and it just sucks because I try to take great care of my car and this type of stuff happens.

Sorry for the rant but I had to let off some steam about this and I figured if anyone could relate it would be the peeps on the scionlife forums.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Yes, I sure have. My car is only 2 years and 3 months old and if I tried to play connect the dots with all the rock chips on my front bumper and hood I would be out there for hours. A new car looks like it is 10 years old in the front. There are even random rock chips on the sides and rear bumper as well, but those are a lot more rare. It is really sad. Peope have told me to come to terms with it and that it is a part of life but it is really hard when you are still spending hard earned money every month of it. One day I hope to get a full kaminari kit (including hood) and get a real paint job on it. I feel your pain. What color is yours? I know obviously black and then white stick out the most as far as damage to the car. But I have heard that some colors are having less trouble with the actual paint chipping (not talking about just less noticeable).
Old 08-14-2009, 09:39 PM

http://g35driver.com/forums/care-det...polishing.html

Just saw this posted a few years ago in this forum.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the help guys! I've started to do this process and some of the hood chips came out OK. The big one is the huge chip on the passenger side door. I think I need to re-do this one. For anyone who wanted to know, I have the Classic Silver Metallic.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My is a 09, haha...JUST got it....i'll be seeing Rock Chips soon! AHHH.....it's my D.D!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1

wait sand paper? something tells me if i try this its going to look worse than the chips i have lmao

What exactly is the broken down approach to doing this?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup I have an 06 tc thats NB and I have about 3 chips that are down to the bare metal. I also have 2 little rust spots!! One on the hood and my newest one that I found about a week ago is on the back wheel fender and the paint has bubbled off the panel and rust is starting to show through. UGH!! I hate that so bad! Also the clear coat is messed up in 2 spots
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, You should just consider painting the car. The way I look it, is that paint will need attention just like anything else on the car. As said above, waxing will help, but it is unfortunate that paint will be needed if you want the car looking tip-top. I'm sure a lot of us feel your pain. The front of my car looks like "rear end" if its not waxed because of this. But hey, I'm just glad that most body shops in my area are basically giving away paint jobs due to the economy issue.

Last edited by RusWolf; 10-14-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clear Bra! Had it done on my RS5 best money I have spent on the car yet!
Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

lol, my front bumper looks like crap. the hood has so many paint chips i stop counting. meguiars scratch-x 2.0 does a good job. id suggest trying it for those minor scratches.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciontC_RS5
Clear Bra! Had it done on my RS5 best money I have spent on the car yet!
The thing about the clear bra is that it stops half way on the hood, dirt will collect and the clear bra will be emphasized, unless you have a full one?
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by chaseonbass
i have 72k miles on my 20065 bsp. The entire front of my car looks like swiss cheese and sandblasted. makes me cringe everytime i run my hands over it. and yes its the paint i have clay-barred in the past didnt do much. my dads 2005 volvo v50 has 120K miles and his paint is flawless

we went to do some paint work on the mirrors and when we went to pull the tape it pulled the factory paint off

Quick Reply: My paint rant!