Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Trunk / Hatch won't open..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionce
SL Member

FIXED IT! Basically I took apart the assembly and realized that the motor wasn't pushing the latch mechinism all the way. So I under screwed it and with the help of several zipties and relocating one of the screws, I placed the motor lower on the locking mechanism , so that when the motor moves the pin, it pushes the lock and

-POP-

The trunk unlocks!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet.....

glad it worked out....hope this doesnt happen to me....

but if it does now i know what to do....
Old 03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ya if you yank it too hard youll break the whole plastic piece that holds the button... my friend did that already when he thought his car was unlocked and it wasnt... lol what an idiot
Old 06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got a 08 Scion tC and trunk does not open crawled in the trunk to pop it manually and still doesn't!

Any help I know I'm doing it right cause my last Scion I would pop it when it had no battery installed.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-16-2019 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 02-10-2012, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

I've had my car for 32 hours and have 50 miles on it. I put a bag in the back, drove two blocks and went to open the hatch and nothin.... no noise no click just wont open.! Going back to the dealer if it hasn't "fixed" it self by now!
Old 06-16-2019, 05:09 AM

Default I broke off the plastic piece that covers the hatch button

Originally Posted by XTChad
ya if you yank it too hard youll break the whole plastic piece that holds the button... my friend did that already when he thought his car was unlocked and it wasnt... lol what an idiot
You can call me an idiot because I did just that! I thought maybe I just needed to yank a little harder. Broke off the tabs that hold it in place. I panicked and put some glue on it to hold it on. What a cheaply made pos! It still won't open. I had to replace the battery. Could that have caused this? I'm a recent widow and willing to get in the back and try to open it from the emergency latch. Just wondering if it might be a fuse problem. I may have to call in the help of one of my late husband's friends. I'd like to sell it soon. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sorrow to hear your husband passed away.

To answer your question, it's probably not a fuse. You have an integration relay (in the dash), a hatch switch, hatch lock, hatch lock motor and wire harnesses. Electrical fixes may require a multi-meter to isolate a faulty component, wire harness and or ground. Even the mechanical fix on the lock latch requires applying battery voltage to specific pins on the hatch motor connector. Even if you dodge the testing phase and start replacing parts, there's a considerable amount of disassembly and reassembly.

If a weak battery caused the hatch problem, a new battery might fix it, assuming your lock latch isn't stuck between fully latched and open.

One way to prevent draining the new battery would be to switch off the hatch courtesy light. Might also want to check that the door ajar light doesn't stay on after you pull the key from the ignition.

Sorry I can't be any more help. Maybe one of your late husband's friends is the way to go.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Thank you

My husband has a friend that knows alot of things. I've utilized his knowledge for house repairs, lawn mower fix, and he needs to finish painting the body work on the Jeep. I hate to be too needy. I'm going to sell the Scion, it's to expensive to insure! Forgot that 2 door cars are considered sports cars. SMH. I'm a 56 yo woman! Lol!

I appreciate your help. I'll save it and refer to it later when I'm ready. Thank you so much!!
Old 10-16-2023, 10:15 PM
SL Member

I forget to plug the trunk release handle/button back in. No thanks to this thread I was able to open the little access door and find a solution. Use a tool to move this lever down.

Old 10-17-2023, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chunjee
... No thanks to this thread...
Check post #10.